Resizing with Photoshop Elements

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For my birthday, I bought myself Adobe Photoshop Elements. I have been picking through it, and practicing with siggies.

The problem I've been having is with file size. I make my siggies 125x600, and I keep the resolution of the pictures at 72dpi. Even after this, the file sizes are enormous. Is it the text, or effects that are bloating the file size? When I save them to jpeg, it gives me the option of how to save them in regards to quality. The only way they fall into the acceptable size to use as a signature is if I save it on the very lowest quality. Obviously the signature suffers at this setting, and I would be embarassed to post it!

I'm still in the learning stages of this program, so please forgive my ignorance. I have tried reading the manual, but it's really of limited value. I'm really liking the program, but it's more complicated than the ones I've used previously.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have photoshop, not photoshop elements. I wish I could help you, but I don't know what elements does or doesn't have when it comes to optimizing for file size and quality.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have Elements. Ok, are you saving for web? Are you flattening the image and merging first? Discarding hidden layers, etc? I have never had to save a sig at the lowest quality - I make mine 140 x 600. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Photoshop, itself and not Elements, but with Photoshop, it has an option to "Save for the Web", and with that option, you have the ability to save at a much smaller compressed size. If you have that Option, you can use it, and save for the Web. It shows you exactly the byte size of the image, you also have a choice to make it a little higher quality by the settings, and I would say to be on the safe side, don't save your images at anything over 28 bytes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah...I was not saving it for the web, flattening it, or merging. In short, I have much to learn about this program, but I am getting there!

Thanks Karen and Hope for the technical advice. Karen, I may PM you at some point when I run into problems...thanks!

Thanks Ryan for the moral support!

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... I'll have to try the save for web thing.
But what is the difference between merging & flattening? I usually just do the merge visible.
I've been wanting to get the new Elements..the one I have now is bootleg..
Does the new one come with updates & stuff that you can download every now & then? Maybe some new plug ins & effects?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should have mentioned the "save for web" option. If you've got that then you're definitely set. You can select differnet file types to save it as and there should be a slider bar that allows you to select the quality and show the result in real time before you save it.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much you guys! It was really easy!

Great...now I'm hooked on making siggies.

I don't believe Snax, or whatever that cartoon cats name is, will have to eat my siggy!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Thanks so much you guys! It was really easy!

Great...now I'm hooked on making siggies.

I don't believe Snax, or whatever that cartoon cats name is, will have to eat my siggy!
Snax is semi-retired as a sig eater. Tubs will come around if your text gets out of hand though.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

You and me both

I like the soft look of your siggy!
Yeah, I found the "diffuse glow" option!

Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Snax is semi-retired as a sig eater. Tubs will come around if your text gets out of hand though.
That's quite a "team" you've got working for you!
I think I'm okay there too. Two lines...right?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

That's quite a "team" you've got working for you!
I think I'm okay there too. Two lines...right?
It's only supposed to be one line if you have an image.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's only supposed to be one line if you have an image.
Oops! Sorry, my bad! I'm on it Lieutenant!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hmmm...
the smaller text looks even cuter. Good job!
Thanks! I didn't want to incur the wrath of the Tubinator!

Just to be safe, I also got rid of several words!