resident cats hate new kitty

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this is the kitty being referred to: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208627

Through many tears and bribes (which includes, but is not limited to, buying someone a new gps when I get money in a few weeks
) I have convinced Mom to let Mojito stay until we figure out an agreeable arrangement that will keep the three of them warm and safe. Part of the agreement for now is that I try to introduce the three of them so that they will get along long enough for them to hang out in the garage during the day while we are not at home.

However, I am running into a bit of a snag. When I do scent swaps, Luna and Top Cat don't seem to have a problem. Even when we take him into the bathroom on cold nights the cats will stay near the door a lot but not get upset unless they see him. I took the suggestion of a book to put him in a carrier in the cat's territory (chosen spot being the living room) and let the cats check him out. The cats hiss at him, but the bigger problem is Top Cat. Luna would hiss and then walk away, but Top Cat would continue lurking by and hissing at him.

Any better suggestions for the cats? I don't want to traumatize anybody, but I have to try to make some progress soon so that they can all hang in the garage sooner. Mom is upset about the damages Top Cat and Luna have caused and even though we have an agreement for me to contribute switch the carpet to hardwood, she still wants the garage to be used by them during the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
help, anyone? I even tried spraying the cats with baby powder scented coat freshener, but Top Cat is still hissing. Mojito is not afraid of the cats and will not hiss (at least right now), but the other cats hate him it seems.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - so how long ago did you start to introduce them (scent swapping, etc)?

It can take some cats months to adjust - and you often can't rush them into anything - they will establish their own hierarchy with time.

The fact that Luna is doing OK with Mojito is encouraging - as is the fact that when Top Cat is hissing/stalking Mojito isn't reacting.

Have you tried the Vanilla trick, or Feliway?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to say a couple of weeks ago, maybe. (I keep bad track of time.
) I didn't try vanilla, but the baby powder spray (the cat kind) in place of it. I have some something similar to feliway somewhere if I can find it.

Now, Luna does hiss at him, but she will rather walk away. It's only when Mojito follows that she hisses some more. But her reaction isn't much different, from when I started introducing Top Cat to her. So she is doing ok considering. Top Cat is the one that gets really hissy and growly. So far, Mojito hasn't returned the honors, but I don't want him to learn.

When they aren't being introduced, Mojito lives in the garage (as long as it isn't too cold which entitles him to a night in the bathroom :p).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm wondering if moving Mojito into the garage at night isn't setting things back, he likely smells even more unfamiliar every time he comes back in the house. Can you set Mojito up in the bathroom until they're all introduced?

IMO, it sounds like it's going very well for about 3 weeks into the intro, all things considered. The hissing is normal, there will likely be some scuffling as they work out the hierarchy - but what you're describing all sounds like normal stuff.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom only allows him inside when it is freezing at night. (We do have a small heater in the garage, but it's not strong.)

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
During the last two sessions, I've been using toys to get the cats used to each other. There was very little hissing and no growling, until just now when I've tired with the toys. The cats were near each other when I was using the toys. But now that I've stopped, there has been a bit of growling with a couple of hisses from Luna. I guess Luna is still learning to trust him, but at least there is a bit of progress. I know Luna is at a good pace.

As for Top Cat, I have him in the garage while I do the intro session, since he has been much more difficult. Even his hisses contain more anger than Luna's. I worry more about him because when we had somebody cat over for a little bit, he was the more angry one that would stalk the other cat.