Resident Cats Hate Each Other Now That I Brought A Kitten Home

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how to help my resident cats, who used to love each other so much, get back together. I brought two kittens home a few months ago and it seems like everyone hates everyone, the little guys are tolerated but now my two resident cats fight and never hang out. It's so depressing

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Presumably it started out as redirected aggression, but now that the kittens are tolerated and the stressor is gone, they still remember the recent fights. Not sure a reintroduction could work with so many cats in the house, but maybe you could put the kittens in a room for a few hours a day and try and play, give affection and treats to both older cats together. Honestly, if anything works, its most likely to be time, but it couldn't hurt to try the above. And you could get some calming products as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although a reintroduction may not work, it may, just as well. It certainly won't make things worse.

lumumba_s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar problem with my two cats. A re-introduction may work and it won't hurt as everyone else already said. But when I brought my youngest kitten into the home, the younger of my two absolutely hated him. Overtime she has calmed and tolerates him a lot more. But he still annoys the two older cats who did not grow up with sibilings and so don't like his social behavior. I would try separating them and giving each of them an adequate amout of play time and then join their play together so their aggression is being directed as something other than each other while they are in the same space.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason I hesitated over recommending a reintroduction in my post was I wasn't sure how you do it with 4 cats. It seems logistically challenging. I guess we are only worried about reintroducing the older 2, so separate them into their own room, with the 2 kittens in the common areas, and sent swap the older cats, and then maybe let them out one at a time for a bit? Just seems like the guide needs some tweaking for this situation. OP might has disappeared though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
New Year's weekend, maybe OP will be back later today or tomorrow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't think I can do a reintroduction. we moved at the same time as i brought home the new kitties, and our bedroom was their "safe area" at the time of the move. they both go in there, one just hangs in the closet and one in the bathroom a lot. they fight though almost once a night and its so depressing since they used to be so close. only one of the big cats will come down into the living area for any amount of time when the kittens are there, the other tolerates them, but spends most of his time just hanging in my closet. he has started to come down once in a great while while the kittens are there, but stays only for like five or ten minutes then leaves again.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really was a lot of upheaval! How long ago was all of this, now? What is "a few" months, more exactly? Time may still help. And you can always re-introduce, even after fairly long periods of time. Cats are very good at do-overs, so long as the new home has a decent place to isolate for the reintroduction.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we found the kittens in late August but before we could do introductions we realized they had uris, so luckily we still had other house and moved them there for treatment. They have been back in new house since end of September. We did very slow introductions and do sometimes leave them all together when we are gone and there has been no blood shed. I think that when we are not here they just kinda sleep but when I come home from work and they are all hovering around my feet is when the drama starts

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That'll do it. If there is no blood shed while you are gone, the major stuff is over with. Things may settle more with time. Sounds like some jealousy at work, there. Let me give you a couple of articles about dealing with that, as well as some helpful information on shy and timid cats. Maybe there will be an "AH HA" moment in one of them for you!

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Sometimes peaceful (mostly) co-existence is the best we can do with cats.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could definitely use one of those AH HA moments. I know it will come one of these days. Thanks for the support

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could offer more than random ideas and constant support, but I'll be here, so update once in a while when you have a moment!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
will do!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi, as an update, the two resident cats are doing way better with each other, and one of the older cats actually lays around with one of the kittens. having one other issue if anyone has any advice. we still put the kittens in the basement at night, just because my other older cat gets super mad if they try and come near me at night when he is sleeping with me. I dont really mind doing that, cause i really dont want to sleep with four cats. the issue is that when my husband and i go downstairs, and the resident cats come down there, and the little guys are there, all the progress between them seems to vanish, older cats get hissy again. i'm guessing my husband and I just need to go hang down there a little more often and work through it, but if anyone has any other advise, that would be great. other than if my husband and i go down there, the bigger guys really dont stay down there at all, except to maybe use a litter box once in a while. thanks