Resident Cats, Foster Cats And New Kitten Not Getting Along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Tuxie and Oscar love Red and have welcomed him into the family. Mandy and Bruce, my two fosters, not so much. Mandy has been hissing a lot and Bruce... He worries me. At least with Mandy I know she won't lunge at him or anything, she will just hiss and make her displeasure known. Bruce will go after a kitty.

A little while ago, Bruce came up and made unhappy noises at Red. He knows that's not okay. I gave him multiple warnings, then I carried him to the foster room where he will spend the night. He has water & blankets and litter so he'll be fine.

I had to throw him in the room. First time I've ever thrown a cat. But it's carpet. Reason being is that Oscar gets triggered by Bruce yowling. Several times when I've carried Bruce back to the room and he's made unhappy noises, Oscar has come running and attacks my leg. He just runs up to me and latches on in full attack mode on my leg. Not sure why, but I think maybe it's some sort of PTSD from his stray days. In the video you can see I sort of turn around to see where Oscar is (he's running towards me) because I know once he reaches me he'll start attacking my leg.

I checked on him immediately thinking I hurt him. He's fine.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Red was just making these howling sounds and acting like he needed to puke. He didn't puke.... And now he's fine. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely vomiting, I know that sound so well. My cats do that when they are puking up a hairball.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats often yowl and make strange sounds right before they puke. Your little one needs hairball treatment or find out what he ate taht made him sick. Remember kittens eat all kinds of strange stuff, so make sure he doesn't have access to anything poisonous like plants and cleaners.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the thing with Oscar grabbing your leg, I think it's called Redirected Aggression. The sounds Bruce is making is scaring him, so he lashes out.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I need to get Red neutered. His breeder suggested I wait until he's 6 months old but that seems to be more old-school advice than present advice. Kittens at the shelter are fixed at 8 weeks if they are at least 2 pounds.. Red is just over 2 pounds. He's a slow grower. I was thinking of waiting another few weeks to get him a little bigger then get him fixed. What do you all think?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him get maybe another pound. If he is slow growing there is no great hurry. I think the younger they are done, the less healing time. All of my males have been done at least before a year old, several under 6 months, and all have been back to normal in one day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I I_Wuv_Kitties What you are showing on your videos is showing a normal cat family interacting. Bruce is acting like the dominate male, and most of what you think is him trying to hurt the others really isn't. My cats sound like they are tearing each other up with some of their tussles, but as long as there is no blood and deep bites it is just a squabble. Cats do not respond to physical punishment, like striking them or throwing them, they just become afraid and sneaky, unlike dogs who have a pack mentality. I know sometimes we get so frustrated but please remember it is a sign of maturity to be able to refrain from this kind of acting out. You can say in a loud authoritative voice that this kind of acting will not be tolerated and place him in another room for a time out, eventually just saying NO will break them up. Your cats are beautiful, I wish you well!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the throwing thing was an accident. He was trying to get Bruce into the room quickly and close the door before Oscar attacked his leg from behind. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I understand that, but it is still a thing I don't like to see, although me trying to stuff a cat into a carrier for a vet visit is not a pretty sight either! :) PS the best way I have found is to stand the carrier up on end and lower the cat quickly down into it. They seem to get in there better when their feet are off the ground.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and the thing with Oscar grabbing your leg, I think it's called Redirected Aggression. The sounds Bruce is making is scaring him, so he lashes out.
Happened again today. You can see it clearly. I went to put bruce in the 2nd bedroom because he was going after the kitten. Bruce FREAKED OUT when I picked him up and Oscar got triggered and started attacking me. I actually feel bad because I flicked him off me harder than I wanted to. Oscar came up to me afterwards with a concerned expression, which I feel like is him saying sorry. Now he's cuddled up next to me and I'm stroking his chest :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redirected aggression. Oscar is picking up on Bruce's fear and anger and is taking it out on who ever he can, which happens to be you. In time he will become more used to the anger, etc. and will not be so upset. It take time. Oscar is more sensitive. Get a 'kickeroo' on Amazon and toss it towards Oscar when he comes for you, it is irresistible to cats and allows him to get his fear and anger out. come to think of it, get two and give Bruce one too!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I see in the video is you going after Bruce and grabbing for him which causes fear. Oscar is attacking you because he is scared too, and you are hurting/grabbing his friend. This is escalating to all out war. I think you are at your limit on the number of cats in your house. They are getting on each other's nerves, and yours. Instead of chasing Bruce down and grabbing him, try to distract him. Get that kickeroo and throw it towards him, get any catnip toy and try to throw it to the side, keep several in a plastic bag full of catnip to keep them refreshed. This chasing down and cornering him is too frightening to him and is just getting them all excited. When either are attacking, either you or the kitten, try to grab them by the scruff on the neck, just the skin, NOT the neck itself, and hold them still for a few seconds, saying NO loudly and not letting them loose. This usually instantly calms cats, and they become still, because it is what mama cat does when they are little. Oscar, especially needs to be taken from your leg and held still for a bit. I'm worried the throwing of the cats may get one of them hurt, but I understand you are hurting and want them away. As they get older they will all calm down and become more laid back. Scruffing can hurt a cat too if done too long or too tight, so please be careful, but I think it is a better alternative to tossing them, they can land wrong or on top of something and get hurt. Scruffing mostly hurts their pride. I really think Bruce just needs more outlets to get rid of excess energy. The next time, say NO loudly and maybe remove the kitten to a safe place or into another room for a while. These attacks can't be allowed to continue and I hope someone comes up with help for you. Good luck.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the cats work out their social structure without interfering, unless there is blood and fur flying. Older cats will teach kittens "cat manners" and it can look pretty rough. If you think Bruce is seriously intent on harming the kitten, try gently separating them by putting a broom in between them.

Every interaction between you and the cats should be focused on building a loving, trusting bond. I always lift and set cats back down very carefully so that it's a good experience. They never get grabbed or scruffed.

Bruce is perhaps developing a bad habit of attacking your leg now. I would suggest wearing long, thick-denim jeans around the house until he settles down a bit. If he attacks your leg with jeans on, you're less likely to be over-reactive because it won't be as painful. It will give you time to think and respond in a calm manner.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are Bruce and Oscar best friends? It looks like Oscar is saying "leave my buddy alone" when he attacks your leg. Have you tried using a gate on the door to introduce the kitten to the others?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi there @i-wuv-kitties

Congratulations on moving into your new place. So now you have 5 cats living with you, 2 of your own and 2 you are fostering, plus a pure bred kitten you have bought, is that right?

Having looked at your videos I think you have a few problems going on. I think that there are too many cats in a small space. It's difficult for you to give them all the special care and attention they need. The two FIV positive cats obviously have health problems that are costly in both the amount of time and money you have to spend on them. I have FIV positive cats too, I know it can be very difficult to make sure they are healthy.

A new kitten is a great thing to have around, but kittens are also a lot of work. High energy pure bred kittens even more so. I'm worried that you have your hands full with the FIV positive cats and the fosters and so the kitten isn't getting all the attention he needs.

This could be why there are problems between him and the other cats. I think he is still a bit too small to be neutered. It would be better if you could give him more one-on-one play time to wear him out and to help him bond with you. Very important to do that now, before any serious behavior problems start.

I know you care a lot about these cats and are very dedicated to helping shelter animals. However, I think you have inadvertently created a problem here. The cats don't seem comfortable with each other. The dynamics between the group are leading to them taking out their anxiety on each other and you.

Could you let the two fosters go back to the shelter or to another foster home? This wouldn't mean you have let them down in any way. It will just mean that you have recognised that they aren't a good fit with your resident cats. Shelters understand that fosters don't always work out. I think that the longer the two fosters stay with you the more upset they are going to become and the more difficult it will be for them to find their forever homes after that.

Attacking you in that way is not good, but throwing a cat isn't good either. I know you wouldn't want to do these cats any harm, but I think being with you is actually causing them a lot of stress and anxiety.

It would be far better if you could down size to your three resident cats and focus your attention on giving them the best life possible.

What do you think? Could you let the two fosters go and allow yourself more time and energy for the other three?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is the one that's been adopted (Bruce?) going home? It seems like you've had him quite a while since he was adopted.

I agree with Norachan Norachan that the five cats are too many. Having one foster might be okay, but it seems like things might calm down once Bruce leaves.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of good thoughts and suggestions here, and all I'd add is that the newest cat is the one who should have his own room for awhile until everyone else acclimates. If the newest is Red, then he's the one who needs his own space, but being genetically more inclined to be very high-strung and active, IDK how easy it will be to do this.
I agree with those who say the population density, especially so soon, is too high. And if you have a 4-cat limit (?) on your lease, it's not a great idea to go over it IMHO, because you don't want to jeopardize yourself or any of the cats. Personally, I probably would not have adopted Red, but you have, and you wanted to, so it'll be a matter of time, patience, and love, working with the entire family on interactive play, feeding, and rewards when they get along together. Punishment does not work with cats -- positive reinforcement does.

The FIV+ cats can't bite the other cats or they may contract it, too.

And yes, when is Bruce going to his home? Did the adoption fall through?

So much wanting this to work out for all! :yess:

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things are going better. I think I just overreacted. Bruce has accepted the kitten begrudgingly haha.

I just have to post this adorable moment. Red went up to Oscar and Oscar hugged him like he was saying "come here you!" then he groomed him and they played.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Oscar's a little sweetheart! He seems very nurturing and protective of his friends. :)