Resident Cat seems interested in new kitten

violapatch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I got a new kitten Pepsi who is 4 weeks old. I have a cat Lucy who is 1 1/2 years old and at first she kept her distance from the new kitten and if she were ever close to the kitten, Lucy would growl and hiss at her. As of recently, Lucy has been coming into my room where the new kitten is staying and she will watch the kitten while she is sleeping or while Pepsi is playing around her bed. Since we got Pepsi, Lucy rarely wants to come into my room even though she used to love being in there. Now, she is starting to come into my room to hangout and last night she was in my room all night and was seemingly watching over the kitten. Lucy would continuously watch or stare at the kitten but before if the kitten got to close Lucy would hiss and she would run after hissing while Pepsi looked confused. Today I put Pepsi close to Lucy so she can smell her and Lucy wasn't growling but I can tell she was annoyed because Pepsi keeps meowing. So, I'm guessing either Lucy is starting to like her or she wants to make sure the kitten knows that Lucy is the alpha cat. I just hope that they will have a good relationship. I think it's kinda strange that Lucy keeps an eye on her even though in the beginning she kept hissing and growling and now she is just staring.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Pepsi an orphaned kitten with no mom? Lucy may not have seen a kitten this small before? I'm sure it will work out. :)