Resident cat playing rough with new kitten

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long post sorry

So a few days ago we brought home a new kitten from the same parents as our resident kitty Minnie we decided to name him micky as soon as I walked through the door with micky Minnie lost her mind hissing and growling even scratched and bit me which is something my Minnie has never done before I separated putting micky in my sons bedroom for a day which had her smelling under the door fast forward to yesterday afternoon my son (7) is playing with micky in his bedroom I tell him we need to go food shopping and to the mall so to close the door and leave micky in the room little did we know Minnie was hiding under the bed (she’s very sneaky) we was gone for about a hour I came home opened the door to check on micky and Minnie ran out I checked micky there was no damage to him and about a hour later I bring him in to the living room Minnie starts sniffing him and next thing I know she starts swatting at him no hissing or growling but just in case I separate them micky slept on the pillow next to me last night and Minnie at the foot of the bed with no issues this morningI put him on the floor and she starts running around him and knocking him over biting his neck a bit and the second micky makes a sound she jumps back he recently starting to swat back no hissing or anything from Minnie she even licked him a bit and has been smelling him everytime she comes near him she knocks him down and bites his tummy or neck is this something I should be worried about her ears are forward eyes not dilated no tail lashing or anything that would seem like a fight and micky has also been biting her and swating as well can someone please tell me if this seems like an issue I’ve never had more then one cat before and she seems to know when he makes a sound to stop

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just watch for any extreme actions from Minnie, such as blood or deep scratches. Everything sounds perfectly normal to me, females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, other cats are just a pain to them, especially kittens who want to play. The thing to watch for is Micky hiding or leaving the room when Minnie comes in. Then he is really getting hurt. if he gets swatted or pinned to the ground, leaves but comes back for more shortly, everything is normal. she will accept him eventually when she finds out she can't drive him away, they WiLL from a family unit in time. Just keep him from being really hurt and give her attention, though she may be so distracted right now she may want to be left alone. Offer her treats when she quietly watches him.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep you nailed it in one, rough playing. Cats are predators, and their play includes practice hunting and fighting behaviors, including play biting the neck. That is how they kill prey in the wild. Its not super common in play between equal adults, because they don't sit still for it, but when one cat is small or submissive, and the target of opportunity is there = play bite! You know its play, because if it was for real . . . well the kitten wouldn't last long.

You might also see the classic defensive manuever, which is raking an "attacker" with the back legs. When its for real, the nails are out, and an enemy cat or predator hopefully gets shredded. In play, its harmless, but wow, it looks super scary when an older cat does this to a kitten! It just looks scary though -- with the nails in, its a common and harmless thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
It's normal "getting to know you" "setting boundaries" cat behavior. Hang in there with it, and be sure Mickie is getting lots of food to eat while he's young :)
Thank you for answering! Yes I’ve been giving him blue buffalo for kittens he is only six weeks but this is what he was eating after they weened him from his mom but I’m thinking about switching to soft food he hardly has teeth lol

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, just watch for any extreme actions from Minnie, such as blood or deep scratches. Everything sounds perfectly normal to me, females are the limit setters, the manners teachers, other cats are just a pain to them, especially kittens who want to play. The thing to watch for is Micky hiding or leaving the room when Minnie comes in. Then he is really getting hurt. if he gets swatted or pinned to the ground, leaves but comes back for more shortly, everything is normal. she will accept him eventually when she finds out she can't drive him away, they WiLL from a family unit in time. Just keep him from being really hurt and give her attention, though she may be so distracted right now she may want to be left alone. Offer her treats when she quietly watches him.
Hi thank you for answering! She was really distracted with him today but I finally got a headbut and some cuddles in lol thankfully the second he makes a sound like he’s hurt she jumps back and licks him which is adorable lol but I think we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep you nailed it in one, rough playing. Cats are predators, and their play includes practice hunting and fighting behaviors, including play biting the neck. That is how they kill prey in the wild. Its not super common in play between equal adults, because they don't sit still for it, but when one cat is small or submissive, and the target of opportunity is there = play bite! You know its play, because if it was for real . . . well the kitten wouldn't last long.

You might also see the classic defensive manuever, which is raking an "attacker" with the back legs. When its for real, the nails are out, and an enemy cat or predator hopefully gets shredded. In play, its harmless, but wow, it looks super scary when an older cat does this to a kitten! It just looks scary though -- with the nails in, its a common and harmless thing.
Thank you for answering! Yes I believe it’s rough play as well lol she has done the bunny kick a few times with no nails out and he has done it to her as well it’s only been two days so I really thought I would have to keep them separate for a lot longer but I think she may recognize her mothers scent on him as well they both share parents but from different litters Minnie is 8 months and micky is 6 weeks which is why I’ve been so cautious he is really tiny

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats good. It almost always just *looks* scary, but I did once see a video of a one year old with a 5 week old kitten that was absolutely terrifying. The older cat treated the kitten like a catnip mouse! So your wise to keep an eye on things, because yeah, 6 weeks is *really* young!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
6 weeks is way too young to be separated from mom. 12 weeks is ideal but even shelters don't usually adopt out until 8 weeks at the earliest.

Can you maybe make him some kitten mush? Or get some kmr to mix in his food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't realize he's this young. If he needs it you might look into a heartbeat toy, or a purr toy to help him transition.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
6 weeks is way too young to be separated from mom. 12 weeks is ideal but even shelters don't usually adopt out until 8 weeks at the earliest.

I was going to recommend feeding him KMR mixed with kitten wet food for at least the next 2 weeks (1/2 & 1/2.)

I fostered 3 kittens that were only 4 weeks old. They stared wet food at 6 weeks but still were getting formula. They slept on my chest or in their own (but they had each other.) At 6 weeks the bottle nipples were almost all chewed through (adorable piranhas!) so I started giving them KMR in a saucer. They weaned themselves but still drank KMR once or twice a day until they were 10 weeks old (the runt drank milk until 11 weeks.) I started giving them saucers of milk every 6 hours and gradually reduced the amount I gave them as they ate more wet food. So please try giving him KMR or whole goats milk.

Becuase I worry I would not leave your kitten alone with Minnie ..... for 2 or so more weeks (or unless she starts letting him nurse on her.)

⭐Kittens stay with mom and occasionally nurse until 4 weeks old. If you have one get a knitted wool blanket or fake suede blanket that Micky can nurse on. Have the blanket over your chest every time Mickey is on your lap. Maybe even try brushing his head with a new toothbrush to remind him of mom.

Older cats often do a clawless head bop on a kitten’s head to teach them manners.... usually around 8-11 weeks old. The 2 boys grew up and their play looks like a fight to an

I included pictures of kittens sleeping on me.(please ignore my lack of make up & pajamas!) I would fake puuur at them. When I first got them I would tuck them under a blanket and keep them on my chest to keep them warm.

The kittens nursing on their favorite binkie/blanket. My cat still nurses on his binkie every day but the other two mostly out grew it (one rarely still does it.)

The boys play fighting. They love each other but love to wrestle. I included the stare down picture to. Plus a picture of them snuggling.

Attachments

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant kittens stay with and sometimes nurse off mom until they are 4 months old (it is mainly for comfort,)

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If there are bunny kicks and no damage done, that really says something. The rear claws are always out because they are not retractable.

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Should I be worried if there are bunny kicks?

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was going to recommend feeding him KMR mixed with kitten wet food for at least the next 2 weeks (1/2 & 1/2.)

I fostered 3 kittens that were only 4 weeks old. They stared wet food at 6 weeks but still were getting formula. They slept on my chest or in their own (but they had each other.) At 6 weeks the bottle nipples were almost all chewed through (adorable piranhas!) so I started giving them KMR in a saucer. They weaned themselves but still drank KMR once or twice a day until they were 10 weeks old (the runt drank milk until 11 weeks.) I started giving them saucers of milk every 6 hours and gradually reduced the amount I gave them as they ate more wet food. So please try giving him KMR or whole goats milk.

Becuase I worry I would not leave your kitten alone with Minnie ..... for 2 or so more weeks (or unless she starts letting him nurse on her.)

⭐Kittens stay with mom and occasionally nurse until 4 weeks old. If you have one get a knitted wool blanket or fake suede blanket that Micky can nurse on. Have the blanket over your chest every time Mickey is on your lap. Maybe even try brushing his head with a new toothbrush to remind him of mom.

Older cats often do a clawless head bop on a kitten’s head to teach them manners.... usually around 8-11 weeks old. The 2 boys grew up and their play looks like a fight to an

I included pictures of kittens sleeping on me.(please ignore my lack of make up & pajamas!) I would fake puuur at them. When I first got them I would tuck them under a blanket and keep them on my chest to keep them warm.

The kittens nursing on their favorite binkie/blanket. My cat still nurses on his binkie every day but the other two mostly out grew it (one rarely still does it.)

The boys play fighting. They love each other but love to wrestle. I included the stare down picture to. Plus a picture of them snuggling.
Awww sooo cute!! And yes the issue was that micky stoped nursing and didn’t like the kitten replacement milk ether but I have been making gruel for him mixing the water and kitten food

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't realize he's this young. If he needs it you might look into a heartbeat toy, or a purr toy to help him transition.
I actually got him a blanket with his mamas scent on it and put it on the heart beat toy he is tiny but mama wasn’t feeding him anymore I have been doing kitten food mixed with water

Minnieandmickysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes I’ve been making him gruel he doesn’t like the kitten replacement milk but I’ve read there is a alternative im going to try that

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everything you’re describing is two cats forming a strong bond.