Resident cat only hates new kitten in the bedroom

charmanderb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys,

Sorry for the long post!

I'm hoping someone has some suggestions on how to solve the problem I'm having with my adult cat and new kitten.

Ive had my resident cat Freya for two years (since she was a kitten) and I've recently adopted Jaina who is a 9 week old kitten.

We introduced them slowly, kept the kitten in the bedroom at first, scent swapped etc and we're now at the stage where we let the cats interact when we're around to supervise.

At first Freya was not happy about the new addition and hissed/growled as expected. However over the last few days we've noticed them interacting more when we're in the living room

Freya will follow the kitten then they both do the little side hops towards each other. There's no hissing or actual contact and the kitten doesn't cower, she actually chases Freya back so we believe this to be purely play and not aggression

HOWEVER. Everything changes in the bedroom. If Freya sees the kitten in the bedroom she hisses and runs out. They'll play for an hour in the living room without issue but Freya won't stand a second in the bedroom if she knows the kitten is there.

Before the kitten I spent most of my time in my bedroom so this is where Freya was most too. I guess this would therefore be the room she is most territorial about etc.

(PS I had to keep the kitten in my room as my house doesn't have a suitable spare room, I know it would have been better to keep the kitten elsewhere but circumstance wouldn't allow it)

Any ideas on how I could get Freya to calm down in the bedroom?
Just confusing why she's playful etc downstairs and grumpy upstairs

Thank you!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has had your room to herself for 2 years, that's why she's being territorial. I'm sure things will work out as she warms up to the kitten. It takes time for them to adjust. :) Just don't force anything it will work out.