Resident Cat Is Terrified Of New Cat

crayolakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, We recently took in a foster cat and we already have a cat who is very timid, but great with people. Both cats were declawed by the previous owners.

We did the slow introduction process, we kept the new cat in the bedroom and let the resident cat have full reign of the apartment. She had a few accidents because she was scared and knew he was in the bedroom. We fed them from both sides of the door and we swapped their scents and places after a week and let them see each other through the door. Our resident cat always hissed and ran away.

It's been a month now and we have been letting him out of the bedroom. However, she won't go on the ground to eat or drink or user her litter box. She stays high up and is constantly on the look out for him and is always trembling. Currently he has full reign of the apartment because she will only stay in one spot.

He has attacked her a few times, but she will just run away and never stand her ground. He always chases her when she is on the ground, but when she is high up he will just approach her slowly and try to smell her and when she notices she will hiss and then he runs away. She won't stand up for herself and we tried putting up a doggy gate, to keep them separate but that didn't help either. He just jumps over it.

We are at a loss for what to do now, besides bring him back to the rescue group. We were intending on adopting him if things worked out. We really want to make this work, but nothing seems to help.

We were thinking about taking a few steps back and doing the reintroduction process again, but he has become territorial of the bedroom and we have nowhere else to keep him. We fear that if we keep leaving him in there, that he won't learn to share the room or territories with her.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Starting over is really the key here, and site-swapping is very necessary. Keep the new cat in the bedroom part of the time, and the current cat there part of the time. It is very necessary to have the scent of BOTH cats in all parts of the house. That will lessen the territoriality of the new cat for the bedroom. A month is really not long at all as cat introductions go. While the occasional introduction might only take a matter of 4-6 weeks, most of them take a good 3 months or more, and some take 12-14 months, and with very successful endings. The rule is, it takes as long as it takes, and no group of cats will be just like any other group of cats!

We have a couple of excellent articles on introducing cats here at TCS. These work just as well for a re-introduction process. Let me know if you would like the links for them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crayolakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Starting over is really the key here, and site-swapping is very necessary. Keep the new cat in the bedroom part of the time, and the current cat there part of the time. It is very necessary to have the scent of BOTH cats in all parts of the house. That will lessen the territoriality of the new cat for the bedroom. A month is really not long at all as cat introductions go. While the occasional introduction might only take a matter of 4-6 weeks, most of them take a good 3 months or more, and some take 12-14 months, and with very successful endings. The rule is, it takes as long as it takes, and no group of cats will be just like any other group of cats!

We have a couple of excellent articles on introducing cats here at TCS. These work just as well for a re-introduction process. Let me know if you would like the links for them!
\

Thank you, I will do the reintroduction process!

When should we start doing the site swapping, right away?

Also, how long would you recommend doing the site swapping? We initially only put the resident cat in the bedroom for an hour a day. Should it be longer than that, maybe half a day?

We were also thinking of tying up the bedroom door so that it only opens up a crack and then they can see each other a little without getting out. We were going to do this after she became comfortable exploring the apartment again. Currently, she only stays in the living room.

I would definitely appreciate the links, thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd shoot for half-and-half on the site swapping. The goal is for the entire house to be comfortable to both cats, and for their scents to saturate all areas. That way, you won't have that, "I own THIS, you own THAT" thing going on.

Tying the door open might work nicely, or, if it is in the budget, two baby gates that you can install one on top of the other will do the same thing without worrying about a door slamming on a paw at some point (yes, I'm a worrywort where cats are concerned).

Here are your links:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (JUST in case)

and for your resident cat,
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Keep me posted on how things are going!

crayolakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd shoot for half-and-half on the site swapping. The goal is for the entire house to be comfortable to both cats, and for their scents to saturate all areas. That way, you won't have that, "I own THIS, you own THAT" thing going on.

Tying the door open might work nicely, or, if it is in the budget, two baby gates that you can install one on top of the other will do the same thing without worrying about a door slamming on a paw at some point (yes, I'm a worrywort where cats are concerned).

Here are your links:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (JUST in case)

and for your resident cat,
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Keep me posted on how things are going!
Thanks! We kept Ashton (new cat) outside of the bedroom last night, he cried the whole time. :(
Keira (resident cat) was fine and she seems to be less on edge now and is talking to us again, she used to meow a lot before we got Ashton.

The baby gates didn't work out for us. Maybe we can try and figure something out to prevent the door from slamming. I wouldn't want that to happen.

I really hope this helps, my only concern is Keira will still have anxiety issues when around Ashton. He is double her size.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eventually, Keira should settle down about him. That's why I wanted to make sure that you had some articles about stress in cats. It does take time, though. I've seen one introduction that went 16 months, but the two cats involved are now inseparable.

crayolakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eventually, Keira should settle down about him. That's why I wanted to make sure that you had some articles about stress in cats. It does take time, though. I've seen one introduction that went 16 months, but the two cats involved are now inseparable.
Okay, thanks! I hope they become best buddies. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do, too. But even if they are only relaxed but distant companions, you'll be fine. Different cats have different needs for that close bond, and cat are generally more loners than other animals.

crayolakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do, too. But even if they are only relaxed but distant companions, you'll be fine. Different cats have different needs for that close bond, and cat are generally more loners than other animals.
Hi, we finally put them both back in the same room, but we are still having the same issues. She is still scared and is urinating when he is around. :( We swapped their positions and also kept the door cracked open so she can peak in at him when it was his turn to be in the bedroom for about a month.

He also attacks her whenever she is on the floor and he hunts her.

Is it a bad idea to put them both in the bathroom or both in a crate next to each other?