Resident Cat Fearful Of New Cat

Panda in usa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, I know there have been other posts about introducing cats to each other. but the situations were different than mine, and I thought I can open another post asking for advice.

I adopted a female cat, Roxy, about a year ago. She is about 2 yrs old now. She has always been a bit timid, following me around, hiding when I have visitors. Also, she is small, only weighs 8 pounds. I brought home another cat, Jamie, a week ago. Jamie is a 3 yrs old male, middle size weighing about 13 pounds. He is very outgoing and coming from a multi cat family before. They have both been fixed.

I did the slow introduction thing. Keep Jamie in a spare room, let them to smell socks or towels with the other's smell. Things were going really well initially. None of them hissed at the other' smell. Then I let Jamie out to explore the rest of the apt and Roxy to explore the room where Jamie was in. Before I was able to close the door to separate them, Jamie ran into the spare room while Roxy was still there. They stares at each other for a moment and Jamie started chasing Roxy and she ran away. I was able to stop the chasing and get Jamie back to the spare room. Since then, Roxy seemed fearful of Jamie. I tried to keep them completely separate for the past 5 days. Keep Roxy in my bedroom when Jamie is out to explore the living room and keep Jamie in the bathroom while trying to get Roxy to explore the room Jamie stayed. Roxy seemed reluctant to even enter Jamie's room. She seemed to avoid things with his smell. There is a blanket on my couch that she used to like and knead on all the time. Jamie sat on the blanket for a few minutes today when I let him out to explore. After he went back to his room, Roxy came out and sniffed at the blanket. Instead of sitting on it which was what she normally would have done, she went to hide under my dining table.

I am worried and started questioning whether it is good for the cats to have them both in my apartment. I am worried that Roxy would continue hide whenever Jamie is around. I am also worried that it's unfair to keep Jamie in the spare room. He seemed ready to be out to enjoy the rest of the apt. I tried to let him out a few times a day, but he sometimes meow loudly when he was kept in the spare room. I am not sure what to do and welcome any suggestions. I also wonder whether others had experience helping a timid resident cat to feel more comfortable with having a new cat in the house. Thanks!

There is one thing that I forgot to include and also got me worried. Roxy had an "accident"this morning and pooped on the floor of the living room. She has always been very good with using her litter box, and the accident today was the first time she pooped outside of the litter box since I had her a year ago.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It has only been a week, which is a short time for introductions. It very well may take a few more weeks to get the two comfortable with one another and I think the accidental meeting probably set their intro back some. While Jaimie isn't happy about it, doing what you have been doing, letting him out for a short while a couple times a day and otherwise letting Roxy stay out is the way to go. I would just make sure Roxy is in a secure space before letting him out. Once she seems more settled (no more living room presents) look for ways they can get a look at one another while still keeping them separated. Maybe put Jaimie in a carrier and let Roxy free to check him out.

Once she seems okay with him being in a carrier you can try some face to face at feeding time.
It will take patience but if you can go slow it can work out.