Resident cat distant after introducing new kitten

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it is clear to me now there is no timetable on any cat behavior.. I inherited my son's young cat and had fallen in love with her. .Almost a dog like cat in that she came when called.. chose to be around all the time and would simply want to be around with no coaxing at all.. About 2 months ago i thought she might enjoy a companion and brought a kitten home, not knowing all this separating and feeding by the door business.  After Jackson Galaxy pointed that out I have been at that since last Saturday.. I almost returned the kitten to the rescue group.. mainly because my original cat has really pulled away and it's really hard. I am trying with all my heart to pay extra attention to her and giving her many  treats. it's so odd that I did  NOTHING extra before for her to 'like' me.. She just did.. Any feedback on this would be very comforting.. After talking to the rescue group, they would gladly take the kitten back, but when i was there last Sat.. two of the kittens from that litter were still up for adoption after 6 weeks.. soooo.. Giving her back didn't seem right either.. i just miss how close my original cat and I were.. Any help or thoughts would be welcomed.. Thanks.. Cat newbie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well my original cat isn't being vicious just distant.. Everyone says be patient and that it will be worth it in the long run.. i'm hoping so

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
C calico613 First of all - welcome to TCS :wavey:

Your original cat has become more distant simply because she's stressed out by the kitten's arrival. The best thing to do is give the kitten its own room for now, and start from scratch. I know there's no significant aggression being shown, but aggression is only one way that a cat exhibits its insecurities. Starting from scratch and taking things slowly is your best choice right now. I know how frustrating it is - you just want them to be friends already! - but patience really is key. Once you help both cats to feel territorially secure the affection and bond will return. It's wonderful that you've given a shelter cat a home - don't give up on him/her yet.

Introductions generally take months - when I brought my girl home I started with separation straight away, and did things 'by the book'. It took 4 months to have her fully integrated with and accepted by/accepting of by old boy......and that counts as a quick introduction! Listen to the cats and take your time - they'll tell you when they're ready to progress.

[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="29658"][/article][article="30274"][/article][article="30316"][/article]

Last edited by a moderator:

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your help in getting more replies.. I am a new cat "convert" 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:heart3: So sweet. Cats find well behaved dogs easier sometimes because they're not a territorial threat in quite the same way. Also, kittens are generally much more accepting than adult cats.

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Loretta totally accepts Debbie the cat I already had.. It's Debbie.. she just doesn't want to play with her and my best guess that her behavior changed towards me because she is jealous.. 

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well here is an update. I've learned a lot. Debbie the resident cat has made a lot of progress.. Our bond has improved, and what has happened she is all about being on my lap and near me when I'm in her "territory" She won't come back to my room yet but I am ecstatic there is so much improvement... It's been a little over 3 weeks.. I have put the food by the kittens door and put the wet food on the dry food.. Today while getting ready for work I went down to the kittens room to feed her and normally she jumps up to the dresser where her food bowl is.. today however she bolted out the door and upstairs to the kitchen where Debbie was eating. Debbie did not bat an eye I sprinted up the stairs and got Loretta and put her back in her room.. I think that was a first good sign actually. Debbie did not bat her away from the food at all. So this method though slow is working.. I encourage anyone introducing a new cat in to your home.. Do it this way.. slow but sure..

calico613

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Debbie is back to her old self towards me which thrills me. She ignores the kitten Loretta when she's out for a bit. She bats her away when she attempts to play. But overall it's way better.

Last edited: