Resident cat depressed after new kitten

Carlympls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I've been reading many threads here (both before and after adopting our new kitten), but haven't quite found the exact situation I'm experiencing. I'm going to give a little background but scroll down if you want to get to the problem.

We adopted our female cat, Ozzy, a year ago. She had started going into heat when we adopted her (from a family who took her in as a stray and then couldn't afford to spay her). She has always been very energetic and playful. I have worked from home the entire time we've had her, and especially when she was younger, she would be an absolute terror all day, just because she had so much energy and saw me as her only playmate. I do have a boyfriend who likes to play sometimes but she is definitely my cat and all of the care, costs, and enrichment of Ozzy is my responsibility.

All of this to say, for both Ozzy's sake of having a friend to play with, and my sake of wanting another cat who would want to cuddle more, we decided to adopt a kitten. We wanted to do this while Ozzy was as young as possible so they might have a better chance of bonding, and we thought a kitten would be more likely to be accepted. So Ozzy is about 2 now, and we adopted a kitten, Hoho, a month ago.

I kept Hoho in a separate room and did everything that recommended - feeding on other sides of the door, switching blankets or beds to expose them to smells, etc. They actually were able to be introduced WAY earlier than I ever could have hoped, and they are fully allowed to be together without supervision now. Ozzy hissed a LOT at first, but that quickly changed to Ozzy trying to groom Hoho every chance she got.

~HERE IS MY CONCERN~

Ozzy used to want to play all the time. Now, even when I try to play with both of them (such as with a wand toy, being sure to try to engage both of them), Ozzy just doesn't seem interested. She will watch Hoho play, and will watch the toy in a way that makes it obvious she's interested, but even if I try to make sure Hoho lets Ozzy play too, Ozzy will often not engage.

Our apartment is basically a cat wonderland - we have a tree, multiple window hammocks/perches, and steps/a hammock along one wall. Beds, toys - everything. Ozzy used to spend all of her time in the living room, mostly by the windows. We live in a city and she likes to watch the bustle. The past few weeks though, she is always hidden away in other rooms - in a window well in our bedroom hidden behind a heavy curtain, or curled on a bathmat in our bathroom. She seems reclusive and, honestly, depressed. When we have people over, she reverts back to being very social and affectionate and loves to get pet and be near guests. But with just us, it seems like no matter what I do she wants to be alone. I want to respect that, but I'm worried she's depressed.

I've tried playing with her away from Hoho, in a separate room. But as soon as Hoho realizes we're in there (she is my shadow and is always following me around), she meows at the door and Ozzy doesn't want to play anymore. She goes to the door where Hoho is meowing and it seems like she would rather Hoho is let in. I can't read her mind, but it does seem like she is protective and interested in Hoho.

Hoho often engages with Ozzy in a playful combative way, and Ozzy puts Hoho in her place, but I just wish Hoho would chill sometimes and let Ozzy groom her, or be peaceful with her.

Thoughts? Is Ozzy depressed, or will this pass? Maybe she's just getting older and less playful? Any suggestions?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I've been reading many threads here (both before and after adopting our new kitten), but haven't quite found the exact situation I'm experiencing. I'm going to give a little background but scroll down if you want to get to the problem.

We adopted our female cat, Ozzy, a year ago. She had started going into heat when we adopted her (from a family who took her in as a stray and then couldn't afford to spay her). She has always been very energetic and playful. I have worked from home the entire time we've had her, and especially when she was younger, she would be an absolute terror all day, just because she had so much energy and saw me as her only playmate. I do have a boyfriend who likes to play sometimes but she is definitely my cat and all of the care, costs, and enrichment of Ozzy is my responsibility.

All of this to say, for both Ozzy's sake of having a friend to play with, and my sake of wanting another cat who would want to cuddle more, we decided to adopt a kitten. We wanted to do this while Ozzy was as young as possible so they might have a better chance of bonding, and we thought a kitten would be more likely to be accepted. So Ozzy is about 2 now, and we adopted a kitten, Hoho, a month ago.

I kept Hoho in a separate room and did everything that recommended - feeding on other sides of the door, switching blankets or beds to expose them to smells, etc. They actually were able to be introduced WAY earlier than I ever could have hoped, and they are fully allowed to be together without supervision now. Ozzy hissed a LOT at first, but that quickly changed to Ozzy trying to groom Hoho every chance she got.

~HERE IS MY CONCERN~

Ozzy used to want to play all the time. Now, even when I try to play with both of them (such as with a wand toy, being sure to try to engage both of them), Ozzy just doesn't seem interested. She will watch Hoho play, and will watch the toy in a way that makes it obvious she's interested, but even if I try to make sure Hoho lets Ozzy play too, Ozzy will often not engage.

Our apartment is basically a cat wonderland - we have a tree, multiple window hammocks/perches, and steps/a hammock along one wall. Beds, toys - everything. Ozzy used to spend all of her time in the living room, mostly by the windows. We live in a city and she likes to watch the bustle. The past few weeks though, she is always hidden away in other rooms - in a window well in our bedroom hidden behind a heavy curtain, or curled on a bathmat in our bathroom. She seems reclusive and, honestly, depressed. When we have people over, she reverts back to being very social and affectionate and loves to get pet and be near guests. But with just us, it seems like no matter what I do she wants to be alone. I want to respect that, but I'm worried she's depressed.

I've tried playing with her away from Hoho, in a separate room. But as soon as Hoho realizes we're in there (she is my shadow and is always following me around), she meows at the door and Ozzy doesn't want to play anymore. She goes to the door where Hoho is meowing and it seems like she would rather Hoho is let in. I can't read her mind, but it does seem like she is protective and interested in Hoho.

Hoho often engages with Ozzy in a playful combative way, and Ozzy puts Hoho in her place, but I just wish Hoho would chill sometimes and let Ozzy groom her, or be peaceful with her.

Thoughts? Is Ozzy depressed, or will this pass? Maybe she's just getting older and less playful? Any suggestions?
Hello C Carlympls and family, and welcome to TCS! Well, it doesn't sound like anything is really "wrong" to me. You didn't mention how long Hoho has been part of your family, but in any family, cats will establish hierarchy and it could be that they are still working this out. The style of play you describe sounds very much like this is what is going on. I wouldn't worry too much as long as they are both eating, drinking and eliminating normally. These things take time, just like they do between humans. If you think you do have cause for concern, though, you might ask their vet what (s)he thinks about the situation and see what feedback you get.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty normal to me too. When the older cats aren't sure, they have to watch for the kitten to make sure the kitten isn't about to try something. With a more severe case I call it acting like they are on guard duty. And they don't necessarily want to go for the toy when they are worried the kitten is going to come in like a bat out of h*ll. It should get better in time.