Resident cat covers new kitten's stool.

Jessica 94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have an almost 2-year-old cat, and now a 6-week-old abounded kitten. I am wondering why my 2-year-old is covering the kitten's stool before he has a chance to do so himself. They are interacting well off and on nothing physical. And the hissing is maybe once every other day provoked random to my eyes. I am really hoping this works so I don't have to rehome the kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything is fine. While I can't tell you, for certain, the reason your older cat has taken over this job. it's nothing to be really concerned about. I mean, as long as the stool is being covered, you're good, right? And six weeks is very young. Ideally. kittens should be with their mom for 16 weeks, learning how to "cat," including covering litter. Looks like your older cat has taken over since the baby was abandoned. If this kitten were still with his mama, that mama would be hissing at him when he got out of line. Again, your older cat is stepping in, and not in a bad way. An occasional hiss happens, even between long-established, bonded pairs. It's just a bit of a heated discussion, which can happen even between the best of friends.

It really sounds like these two are just fine.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two years later my female cat will still go behind her brother and cover up whatever he has done in the litter box. No idea why Gracie does it. She probably has learned that her brother is lazy and doesn't do a good enough job. The arrangement seems to work for the both of them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is still learning and your older cat has taken over 'parenting'. At six weeks, it is good the kitten is using the box! Your cat is acting instinctively and trying to hide the scent of the kitten from predators. So that means your two year old is already worried about the new little one and cares for him.
Hissing, growling, and the occasional swat is all normal in a cat/kitten relationship. After all kittens are nothing but high energy and can get annoying fast. Your older cat is teaching limits and manners. There is one thing I always look for, if the kitten runs off after being 'disciplined', but returns in a bit for more fun and games, everything is normal. If the kitten starts hiding when the older cat comes into the room and does not interact at all, then he is really getting hurt, and is afraid. Everything sounds really good at your house! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking in that precious little one......