Resident cat chasing new kitten?

Emona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my first cat (5 years old) in June. She got comfortable after a month or two so I thought it'd be okay to get her a friend since I kept reading that 2 cats are better than one. I adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago and the person who was responsible for picking her up brought her in without the carrier I gave them and put her down in the living room where my cat already was.Got her up to my room shortly after since there aren't any rooms in my house that are unoccupied and it seemed to work for my first cat.

After a week of feeding them close to each other separated by a door, I started bringing the kitten around the house and let my cat enter my room again. Later that day, I let them meet each other while I supervised. My older cat has been hissing and growling at her ever since the beginning, but my kitten seemed pretty indifferent - curious about her but knew to not get too close. There wasn't any physical contact so after a couple more days I left my door cracked just enough so that the kitten could come and go as she pleased. She did just that but one day came running in my room and when I looked out the crack, my cat was there. I spent the next few days leaving the door open and closed (but always closed with the kitten inside at night).

By now my kitten has found her favorite spot in the house and my cat has reclaimed hers in my room (kitten rarely enters). My cat doesn't hiss or growl at her anymore, but still occasionally chases her and swats (or attacks?) her. I can't get them to play together because they're always aware of each other. Whenever the kitten is interested in playing she almost always gets chased by the cat. Usually I can find them laying down by (not close) each other in loaf mode so I don't know what their relationship is.

How do I correct things after a scuffed introduction, or is it even possible?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since there is no hissing anymore, and they lay close to each other sometimes, I am pretty sure this is just playing. A lot of times kittens won't be into it given the size difference, and you may still have some initial stages anxiety as well, and so the kitten will run, or (especially once the kitten gets more confident) the kitten will play for a bit, then run when it gets uncomfortable. Should work itself out with some time. Don't be worried if the play seems really rough, they kitten won't be hurt, even if it squeals some.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I agree with A ArtNJ , that I think you don't really have anything to worry about. Some hissing / growling, is ok. The older cat will also likely appear to be rough with the kitten, at times, but that's just her teaching the kitten cat manners. What you don't want to see is fur flying or blood, or the kitten being scared every time it sees the older cat. Running away after a scuffle, but then quickly coming back for more "fun" is fine, though.