Resident cat chasing new cat

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi so I have taken in a stray cat a month ago that I'v been taking care of almost a year now. Her name is Jazzy. I set up a cat enclosure in the basement that she's been in for about 3 weeks and my resident cat, Jonah and her been able to be around each each other through the panels. They have been doing fine and the hissing has gone away so I was excited to finally let Jazzy out of the catio to explore the basement . (Gradually will move her up to rest of the house) At first it seemed like Jonah was being pretty nice.. but now he's been chasing her around alot and she gets scared.. he also kinda tries to pounce on her and she hisses and runs away from him. I have a spray bottle in case things get physical to break up the fight and telling Jonah no when he does this..but he's still doing it. Sometimes he's fine being around her and he doesn't bother her when she's eating and they've even eating next to each other. I try to make sure to give him attention also and I'm playing with them to distract . But she just gets scared when he starts chasing her and he seems to try to attack her like by jumping on her and has swatted at her few times also. I don't want her to be bullied by him and many times she runs in her catio because she feels safe in there. And I have to keep her in there when I'm not around to supervise them for now.. and I can't move her up to the rest of the house yet. I don't know what to do . I don't want to have to re-home jazzy, It took me a while to to gain her trust and she really feels comfortable with me now and I don't want to abandon her . She's such a sweet affectionate cat. I'm hoping to figure out how to get Jonah to stop attacking her. He is scaring her and chasing her around . She ends up hiding from him and hissing. Any suggestions?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me that he wants to play with her, which is a natural thing for a cat to do. But if Jazzy was a stray for most of her life, she simply may not know how to play with another cat and may not want this at this point. I’d simply give them time, making sure that the girl has lots of places to hide and also some time away from him to have some quiet rest. He’ll also will be less excited with her once they will be around each other with no separation.
How old are they?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me that he wants to play with her, which is a natural thing for a cat to do. But if Jazzy was a stray for most of her life, she simply may not know how to play with another cat and may not want this at this point. I’d simply give them time, making sure that the girl has lots of places to hide and also some time away from him to have some quiet rest. He’ll also will be less excited with her once they will be around each other with no separation.
How old are they?
I hope so! Jonah is 2 years old and I'm not sure about Jazzy but vet said around 1-2 years which is what I assume also. I have had Jonah since a kitten and is neutered . Jazzy has just gotten spayed 2 weeks ago .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! This will work out, be patient and hang in there! Things are going better that you realize, I think, especially since they're eating together:)
Keep doing what you're doing, don't stress, you're doing a terrific job!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, there is no need to spray or break them apart! Its totally 100% normal for one cat to want to play more, or want to play before the other is ready. The other will hiss, which really just means "no!" You kind of have to let it play out, so they can work it out on their own.

A fight has screaming or at least loud growling (not just hissing), fur flying, and the body language is different. Stalking and silently pouncing, with butt wiggling or tail swishing, is play.

Hopefully, this will get more mutual as time goes on. In the meantime, you can watch the reluctant cat for signs of stress, give breaks with the door closed and love. But otherwise let them do their thing.

If you are concerned it IS fighting, but not sure, link a video!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover579

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok this is reassuring. This is my first time having 2 cats so I'm not really sure what is normal lol. I just don't want Jazzy to be bullied and uncomfortable by Jonah.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok this is reassuring. This is my first time having 2 cats so I'm not really sure what is normal lol. I just don't want Jazzy to be bullied and uncomfortable by Jonah.
Well, I won't pretend it doesn't sometimes go on for quite a while or sometimes cause real stress, but usually unequal play works itself out when both cats are relatively young (2 or younger) like yours. Hopefully, they will become friends and play more mutually soon. Good chance! In the meantime, routine hissing and running away is not a big deal! You will know its a bigger issue if the reluctant cat hides or avoids the other cat at all times, even when the other is not trying to play. There would likely also be a hyper alert state for the reluctant cat -- always on the lookout, too stressed to even enjoy getting petted unless you close the door and exclude the other cat. These symptoms are not necessarily the end of the world, but would indicate that yes, the reluctant cat is dealing with some real stress rather than just annoyance.