Resident cat attacking new cat

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello lovely cat people! I really need some advice...

We ended up adopting our foster, Moxie, who has been with us since last March. She was found on the street at age 1 pregnant. She had 5 healthy babies before coming to us. Her maternity fosters thought she was feral, but she has been affectionate with us since day two. She's a bit feisty, super vocal (and LOUD!), and demanding when it comes to pets and treats.

We felt she needed feline companionship because of her 'neediness' and desire to play all the time - especially as we gear up to go back to the office more frequently and travel a bit more. Plus, we have a fairly large apartment in NYC and wanted to take in another rescue.

Cue Mocha. We adopted a second cat from a small rescue. She's also female and was also found on the street at age 1 - sadly with her brother, who had been hit by a car. She had been at a foster's for about a year when we got her early in January. We were told she was super shy and not sure of people, but LOVES other cats.

We tried to do everything right - a textbook introduction with scent swapping, eating on opposite sides of a barrier, etc. but Moxie would not stop growling/hissing/attacking Mocha. We then started over with a new, slow introduction. Same outcome. Mocha is more submissive/interested in Moxie, but Moxie makes horrible noises and goes after her. No injuries (yet). Moxie is also more aggressive with us now.

It's been three months, and we have tried:
- Three separate, very tall cat trees in all rooms - though Mocha doesn't seem to realize this would put her out of harm's way
- Tons of hiding places
- Creating positive experiences when near each other (feeding special food, treats, brushing)
- Feliway Classic, Multi-cat and Optimum
- Comfort Zone spray
- Several brands of calming treats
- Rescue Remedy

I've searched/read a lot of older posts, but was wondering if there was any lesser-known tips. Someone mentioned using a collar bell on the aggressive cat so the other ones knows when she is around. Wondering if anyone has ideas like that? Otherwise, I think we'll have to go to the vet and see if we should take the medical route :-(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Moxie goes after the other cat, does she just do some swats, or does she try to make it a roll around full out fight? A few "go away!" swats is not necessarily so terrible but if they are full on fighting, your certainly need to try medication and should just head to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When Moxie goes after the other cat, does she just do some swats, or does she try to make it a roll around full out fight? A few "go away!" swats is not necessarily so terrible but if they are full on fighting, your certainly need to try medication and should just head to the vet.
Moxie runs at Mocha, and Mocha runs away. I'm not entirely sure what happens when Moxie gets to Mocha. They definitely make contact, but I always check Mocha after to see if she's hurt at all (looking for injuries, petting her everywhere to see if she winces). The sound from Moxie is jarring and horrible. Moxie's nails have been trimmed, though I know she could still cause injury with them.

We have a barrier to our spare room (now Mocha's room) with Mocha's food and litter box. She can easily jump over it onto a bench we put on the inside of it. Moxie is too fat / not at nimble and can't get over. It felt like a good idea to give Mocha a 'safe space' but give her the freedom to come out and explore in her own time. But she likes spending time in my bedroom and has shown interest in going into the living room area.

I watched a bunch of Jackson Galaxy videos about cat's fighting and thought.. those cats don't actually seem to be fighting the way these two are.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched a bunch of Jackson Galaxy videos about cat's fighting and thought.. those cats don't actually seem to be fighting the way these two are.
There is a definite difference between a cat that charges and swats, and one that wants to tackle the other cat, roll around and full out fight. Usually the charge-swatting is a kind of fear response, a "get away from me!!!" rather than "I want to kill you" aggression. If the other cat merely runs away, charge swatting shouldn't lead to injury (although a random scratch is possible). So some folks have successfully let cats with a charge swatting issue "work it out" by putting them together and letting things play out.

Does this barrier allow visual access? Full time visual access is a super usual intro step. Here is this site's guide, which has some pictures of homemade setups: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually looked at that very article before we brought Mocha home! But yes -- it's a mesh hamper so they can see each other. I kept a big piece of cardboard against it when I didn't want them to see each other. Seems to work well with Moxie not being able to break through.