Resident cat and new kitten: Good or bad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are going great with Sephie and Mylo (ADORABLE names by the way). I definitely understand your concern and knowing we're not alone makes this so much more comforting, I promise! I've noticed with miss Felix, it is taking more and more to make her his, however the batting has completely stopped. Rather, she will run to a safe spot of hers (which is currently under the bed, as Maya has a cone on her head and can't fit).Today they were both on my bed, yet again, and Felix was fine. She was a little nervous at first, but I would reassure her and show her that Maya is ok and she was ok with her being there. That is, until Maya found the opportunity to pounce on her. Then Felix just wanted Maya to stay away, and I don't blame her! We're working a lot on play time currently (Maya is a little spitfire while Felix is very laid back). I've noticed Felix's personality changing in a good way over time. I'm starting to think she secretly likes Maya. She watches her and looks like she wants to play, but I think she really just doesn't know how! Things get better :). If my Felix, who is quite the unsocial princess, can do it, I have no doubt in my mind your kitties will do great! Here is a picture of a proud mommy moment between my two girls :) 

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As we speak, I just went to check on them, and they are both relaxing on the bed again :)

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As we speak, I just went to check on them, and they are both relaxing on the bed again :)
Yes that is great progress! I know of those proud mom moments you speak of. Feels great doesn't it?
You want to just grab them up and give them big hugs and kisses cause your so proud of them, except they'd probably freak out cause they'd think you've lost it

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maya always seems to be the one to ruin it :p she pounced on Felix's head again and Felix got mad. Little girl likes to push her luck.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maya always seems to be the one to ruin it :p she pounced on Felix's head again and Felix got mad. Little girl likes to push her luck.
That's a kitten trait. She has to learn the boundaries with Felix. And Felix is telling her to watch her little self or get thumped.

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My husband named both of them hehe. Sephie seems to worry about Mylo, too sometimes when he attempts to hack up a hairball every once in a while. Since she has never seen (or heard) anyone else do this, she will approach and stare at him curiously even if they are not in the same room. She will literally run to check the situation out. 

This is the only picture I have of both of them really close together (so far).  I woke up to this surprise not too long ago and I snapped it in a hurry. I even took a video! I was so excited! 
BTW Felix and Maya are very cute! I'm a sucker for kittens (well, then again who isn't)! They grow up way too fast, though :(. And about the pouncing kitten trait, I can vouch for that! Mylo jumps on everything that seems to be "moving". Empty grocery bags, feet, shoes, his shadow, paper, pants, bobby pins, his tail... You name it and he will go after it haha. It's so entertaining to watch. 

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear Felix likes her and just doesn't want to admit it! She HATES when I close the door to separate them and will sit and watch Maya for hours! Oh Females. Your two are gorgeous btw!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Once Felix decides it isn't uncatly to show she likes Maya, you will see them rub against each other as they walk past, do mutual grooming, snuggle nap together and chase each other like 4-year old children.

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swear Felix likes her and just doesn't want to admit it! She HATES when I close the door to separate them and will sit and watch Maya for hours! Oh Females. Your two are gorgeous btw!
Thanks! I think mine do this, too. I have a feeling she only complains when we are around. :p It has been dying down quite a bit ever since we let them work it out on their own, though. Yay! 

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just woke up to the 2 of them playing :). No hissing at allvand they were playing for a good 30 minutes! They only stopped because of Mayas short attention span hahaha.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I seemed to have spoke too soon. Maya got too rough and now Felix doesnt want to play :(.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I seemed to have spoke too soon. Maya got too rough and now Felix doesnt want to play
Completely normal. This happens frequently between my brother and sister cats. Baby instigates play, then Boots gets too rough, she hisses and yells at him and runs. Then 2 min later they are laying together.  Sounds like Felix and Maya have found their way. Now time for you to sit back and enjoy watching them.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank goodness. It sounded like Felix was getting too mean with Maya a bit ago so I separated them thinking Felix wanted a break. But when I closed the door she immediately started meowing for Maya! Felix grewbuobwith another cat but he was a big fat fatty and so they never played lol. Now she has Maya who is full of energy.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a little video of after they were done playing nice lol. This is typically how it goes.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Too cute! Yea, they're just fine. If Felix wasn't fine about the kitten, she'd TOTALLY avoid her, hissing and swatting the kitten. Believe me, you'd KNOW it. Leave them be and relax.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have quite the relationship. Maya has made a game out of annoying her big sister ;). One thing I've noticed is Felix's personality has taken a turn for the best. She comes out to visit much more than she used to and is more cuddly with me :).

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have quite the relationship. Maya has made a game out of annoying her big sister
. One thing I've noticed is Felix's personality has taken a turn for the best. She comes out to visit much more than she used to and is more cuddly with me
Sephie's behavior changed  too! 
 She now comes over and rubs all over my legs, which she NEVER did before, as well as letting us pet her longer. Just a little info on Sephie: she despises being touched from the neck down. Now, she stays longer for a petting session and allows us to touch her below her shoulders a few more times than usual. She also doesn't mind being picked up as much. 

Mylo does all these things naturally. It's pretty cute.

What he learned though, was how to roll around in the balcony. Both are indoor btw and are only allowed to go out to the balcony when we are home or we have too much company, so they can get away from the noise. When I first saw him do it, it was only when Sephie was doing it, too! He would stop as soon as she would! They looked too cute (if that's even possible) haha. 

Horray for progress! 

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sephie's behavior changed  too! 

She now comes over and rubs all over my legs, which she NEVER did before, as well as letting us pet her longer. Just a little info on Sephie: she despises being touched from the neck down. Now, she stays longer for a petting session and allows us to touch her below her shoulders a few more times than usual. She also doesn't mind being picked up as much. 

Mylo does all these things naturally. It's pretty cute.

What he learned though, was how to roll around in the balcony. Both are indoor btw and are only allowed to go out to the balcony when we are home or we have too much company, so they can get away from the noise. When I first saw him do it, it was only when Sephie was doing it, too! He would stop as soon as she would! They looked too cute (if that's even possible) haha. 

Horray for progress! 
Same with mine! Both indoor, but my apartment has a balcony where I have it set up for them this summer :). They have their good days and bad days but I caught them like this: