Resident cat and new kitten: Good or bad?

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a dear 5-year-old resident cat, Miss Felix (we found her in an alley really young and thought she was a boy). I moved for college into my own apartment about a year ago, and Felix went into a horrible depression. I ended up taking her in about 7 months ago. Prior to reuniting with me, she lived with one other cat. Two weeks ago, we brought home a 9-week-old kitten named Maya who is a little spitfire. I went through the introduction steps (isolation, swapping scents, separated face-to-face encounter), all of which Felix reacted well to. Now the two are content in the same room but when Maya gets too close too often, Felix will hiss and leave. I'd also like to add Felix isn't a very social girl with people, but never showed ANY resentment toward me with the new arrival. Sometimes I wonder if they're making any progress. Any opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!!

Sounds like things are going well, actually. Sometimes it takes a long time for resident cats to get used to new family members. They may never be bet of friends, but patience must be had here.

The fact that Felix walks away when Maya gets too close (even a hiss) is a good sign.. Felix is not attacking or hurting her.

I am sure others will chime in :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I agree with Draco... time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the boundries change. Sometimes she can be right in her face, others she can only get a few feet away. I'm getting mixed signals lol!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes the boundries change. Sometimes she can be right in her face, others she can only get a few feet away. I'm getting mixed signals lol!
Even with cats that have lived together for a long time, the boundaries change. I have seen Sugar being washed by Sheba, and 2 minutes later Sheba will chase her off the bed.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did everything right and now the kitten is being taught by Felix what boundries she wants Maya to keep. Maya being a kitten will learn to just leave Felix alone when she's grumpy. All so far is the normal way cats establish hierarchy. Give Felix plenty of love and attention to assure her she is still the queen. Some interactive play with both of them together will help them bond. Also groom them together using one brush on them both. This maintains scent swapping and helps the good feeling association between them. Hope this helps. Your doing a great job and sounds like they'll be just fine.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only Felix gets to sleep with me and I always give her treats first. Had Maya spayed and she's calmed down a ton which has decreased Felix's hissing more but she still does at times and is definitely still standoffish. Whenever Felix does good (aka no hissing or running) I always pet her and tell her how proud I am of her. Maya actually chased Felix around the apartment and I had no hissing from Felix but she hissed later on in the day. I love having some extra opinions, as I tend to be overly worried sometimes :).

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So yesterday, I posted about my 5 year old, Felix and her new sister, 2 month old Maya. I have had Maya for two weeks now and before, Felix would not mind being in the same room as Maya, Maya just couldn't get too close to her. I noticed today, now Felix won't even stay in the same room as Maya. What is going on? :(

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felix is still establishing the boundaries of behavior with Maya.  This is something that doesn't happen overnight. Let them go at their own pace and they should be fine.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Felix is still establishing the boundaries of behavior with Maya.  This is something that doesn't happen overnight. Let them go at their own pace and they should be fine.

As long as there is no fur flying between them, I would not worry. Try and encourage play time with both in same room and reward with treats. Continue to give Felix lots of attention and praise. Your doing great.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I concur that u have nothing to worry about. Cats will be cats. The intros I've had with my cats usually end up in long wrestling sessions to establish dominance.

It sounds like ur girls are pretty well mannered. Just let them be, and quit worrying. It will work out.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been pleasantly surprised. I took baby Maya into the vet yesterday, her spay incision got infected somehow and she wasn't feeling well. Felix was very concerned about her, frequently checking on her (Maya slept all day for a couple days because of the antibiotics). She is starting to feel better and her attitude is back to normal so Felix is once again being a grump lol.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive been pleasantly surprised. I took baby Maya into the vet yesterday, her spay incision got infected somehow and she wasn't feeling well. Felix was very concerned about her, frequently checking on her (Maya slept all day for a couple days because of the antibiotics). She is starting to feel better and her attitude is back to normal so Felix is once again being a grump lol.
Sounds like they are just 2 typical females now living together. Felix being the Queen of course. My female still puts my newest boy in his place from time to time, then turns around and lets him groom her!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 of the "cattiest" females around. My girls spend the day looking for reasons to be jealous of each other--which then culminates in a wrestling bout or two.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good to know her behavior is normal :). I've been told by others who have been around the two that Felix is much worse when I'm in the room. I guess I'm the problem child!

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the same issues with my two kitties. Sephie is 3yrs old and Mylo is 8 months. We went through the intro steps, etc, etc. I think the problem with us is that Sephie HATES being touched. I cannot groom her or pet her anywhere from her neck down unless I want to get growled at 
 or worse. Mylo on the other hand LOVES being touched and groomed and plays with everything and everyone who gives him a little attention.

Sephie hisses at him every time he walks near her or whenever he goes up to smell her or initiate a chasing session (which he ends up doing by himself with his tail haha). I doubt she will ever let him groom her or lay near her. Which reminds me that when she  sleeps on our bed and I happen to touch her at night accidentally she will stare at me and readjust. Whoops.. 

The only time I have seen Sephie not react to him in anyway is when its feeding time. He can be pouncing on her or smelling her and in her face, and she just doesn't care. It's pretty impressive when I see this and I just wish it were like that all the time.

Knowing Sephie I know that they won't be buddies but hopefully the hissing dies down. We are currently living in a small apartment and will move to a two story house in September. Hopefully the change to a larger space will help. It's just not coming fast enough haha! 

Oh! Question! Whenever the hissing starts I try my best to shoo them in separate directions because I know Sephie can hurt him. (She has given me puncture wounds before.) Should I do this? Or let them figure it out? 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! Question! Whenever the hissing starts I try my best to shoo them in separate directions because I know Sephie can hurt him. (She has given me puncture wounds before.) Should I do this? Or let them figure it out? 
If there is no fur flying, I'd let them keep working things out. Sounds like Sephie is just teaching Mylo how much she will tolerate, and he will learn, as he already seems to be doing. Since he is so young he's bound to get on her nerves occasionally, but it really sounds like she's doing quite well with him. As he gets older and calms a bit more, don't be surprised to see her allow him to sleep with her if he wants to.

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there is no fur flying, I'd let them keep working things out. Sounds like Sephie is just teaching Mylo how much she will tolerate, and he will learn, as he already seems to be doing. Since he is so young he's bound to get on her nerves occasionally, but it really sounds like she's doing quite well with him. As he gets older and calms a bit more, don't be surprised to see her allow him to sleep with her if he wants to.
I have caught them in close proximity of each other (like my avatar) and even laying near to each other but I think that happened because Mylo came and joined when Sephie was sleeping or too tired to move away. On their cat tree Sephie will usually take the top bunk and Mylo the one right under with no issues about this placement.

Also, in the middle of the night Mylo will come and purr on me and wake me up since he'll walk on me 
. Sephie at this time has already found her way in between my husband's pillow and my own. Mylo will see her and start batting at whatever part of her is closest. Sometimes he will be close enough to actually touch her and she'll start growling. 
 <- Sephie (haha ok maybe not that bad. It just sounds like a really deep purr). She'll will either readjust or jump off the bed for the night.

I guess I got used to our place being pretty quite with only Sephie and us. But now typing these good encounters, I see what you mean about her doing quite well with him. I'll still keep my eye on them when the hissing starts and resist trying to interfere  unless it gets ugly...

Thanks!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I got used to our place being pretty quite with only Sephie and us. But now typing these good encounters, I see what you mean about her doing quite well with him. I'll still keep my eye on them when the hissing starts and resist trying to interfere  unless it gets ugly...

Thanks!
And Sephie was quite used to having you both to herself also
I doubt things will get ugly from the looks of them in your avatar, and seems Sephie has done a great job teaching Mylo that SHE is top cat