Resident cat and new kitten getting along?

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We recently have adopted a new 4 month old kitten as a new friend for our 10 year old kitty at home, who himself still acts like a kitten. We recently ( 3 months ago) lost our oldest kitty so we felt the survivor needed a new companion after everyone had had enough time.

Introductions went well. No hissing no aggression. Only butt sniffing on both parts. They play together everyday, chasing each other , play wrestling. No hissing etc. they on occasion have begun to lick each other a little bit.

I do feel the older kitty seems to be more withdrawn from me and my husband. He used to love to cuddle and sleep with us, lately he has preferred a cat tower instead.

I have been going out of my way to make him feel special and loved. Spending just us time.

Do you think he is still just adjusting to the new addition? Would you say we're on our way to a friendship between the two cats?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you go through the formal introduction process?

Is there any other change in behavior of the resident cat?

Are they eating together? 

How exactly are they playing with each other? How are the chases exactly?

It is good that he is going in a cat tree, going up in the world.

Did he play before with toys? If so, I would increase his play, then feed either treats or food. Keep giving him a lot of love as well.

He could be a bit put off by the new addition. He could still be mourning the loss of his mate.

Any additional information could be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went through a sort of introduction process. We brought the new cat in , put the resident upstairs in a bedroom. Let the kitten acclimate, brought him a sock that was rubbed on her and her cheeks. Then we introduced them through a screen door. The new kitten outside the house , resident inside. ( resident is used to seeing other cats outside as we feed ferals that come by. )

No aggression no hissing. Just smelling. Brought the new one in and only smelling happened and trill noises. .

I leave food down all hours but I have not seen them eat at the same time.

Play is very good, resident chases kitten, kitten chases resident, some wrestling. The resident has always been vocal and when he can't find her while playing he starts meowing for her. Also uses a lot of trill noise around her.

No other changes I notice, still cleaning himself, eating, drinking, etc.

He used to play frequently with our old cat who passed and with us.

Altogether I think the intro went better than I could have ever hoped for. I am just curious if these are signs of a friendship developing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it is a sign of a friendship developing BUT it is fairly uncommon to get along so well so quickly.

Typically the introduction process should be done through weeks and at times months. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide

There are a lot of positives you are mentioning. It is pretty amazing to be honest.

I hate to suggest anything because if it ain't broke why fix it?

It sounds like each of them have wonderful personalities.

See how things go and feel free to ask anything anytime. Keep up the good work!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

webmiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok!!

Ya I know the intro should be longer and drawn out, had it not gone well we would have separated and went slower but it went so well !

Hoping for friendship and ear cleaning soon! Lol

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sound like pretty special and wonderful cats. And a wonderful home for them to be in.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 

If you need any advice etc please ask anytime.

Good luck and keep up the good work!!