rescued rocket's unusual coat

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My DH and I were grocery shopping on September 4th. When we got there we made a beeline for the restrooms because it's an hour drive to the big stores from where we live. As I got there I see a lady with a TINY kitten coming out and talking to a worker at the store. Turns out the kitten was found alone in the women's rest room. He had been dyed....yes I said dyed yellow. DH and I shook our heads at people's cruelness and started to do our shopping, we didn't make it far...we kept looking at each other and finally just grinned and went back to save the kitty. The store would have just had him sent to the pound which in our area is a kill shelter.

We got him home after buying food and litter pans and a new bowl. He couldn't have been more than 4 weeks old, he was sooooo tiny. We've had him for 2 1/2 weeks now and he's doing wonderful, the rest of the kitties all love him and the yellow is starting to fade. It's turning out that he's going to be a gorgeous flame point. We've named him Rocket for both the flame pointing and how fast he is. He just LOVES to run from one end of our house to the other as fast as he can. It's a hoot!

He's got the most unusual coat for a kitten though. His guard hairs are fairly long and the down underneath is almost like lamb's wool. I thought it might be due to the coloring but it's staying the same as the color leaves his coat. Has anyone any idea what kind of coat type this might turn out to be?

kittehtime

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, no experience here. but how amazing of you to take this baby in. i'm glad to hear rocket is doing well!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's doing amazingly well. Growing like a weed and into everything. All the other kitties in the house like him and wrestle and play race track with him. The flame points are getting more and more pronounced.

We are guessing he was only about 4 weeks old when we brought him home so he will be about 7 weeks this week. I can't wait to see what his coat is finally going to do, it's just so unusual.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dyed him yellow??? What in the world??

I am so glad you saved him! Can you post a picture of him so we can see what you are talking about with his coat?

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll see what I can do, I'm on dial-up and it takes FOREVER to upload anything. I'll take some pics tomorrow when the light is better.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, it took a while, and I hope these show what I'm trying to describe.
He posed so pretty here

and this is a close up of his coat. I hope is shows up okay.

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like a pretty normal kitten coat to me. Percy was so oddly coated when he was little and now his coat is totally normal...really thick, but totally normal. Here is a pic of him at about 6-7 weeks and then a recent one of him at 20 weeks.

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like the "ugly fuzzies" that's what I've always heard this stage called. Most kittens always go through this stage where their coat looks kind of like a balloon attacked them. I beleive its for added protection against the elements. The two differnt layers of fur helps keep out excessive cold or heat.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I just haven't had a kitten quite this young before. I'm sure he's going to be a really pretty flame point. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm just glad the yellow is going away. I'm sure as his coat matures it will all shed out.