Rescued Outdoor Stray-breath Rate Off

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rescued a ginger Tom from an idiot that trapped him in the cold to call Animal Control...no, I got outta bed n scooped him up. Realize he is probably outdoor cat born by stray as he isn't feral. Anyway, trap injured his nose but it's healing fine (better than these pics) and his breathing rate was higher than norm (60?). Had mobile vet come to alleviate everyone's stress. He just cried a bit once he was blocked in by us n held down by his neck (lightly). Vet said no heart murmur n no fluid in lungs. Started fortiflora to help immune sys. His stool is getting firmer, good drinker, let's me know when he's hungry n eats fine...4-5 small meals which gets him 9 oz wet but having a bit of Nutro dry is good along with this. His breathing is in n out through nose and sometimes it's high and other times it's normal. It was obvious he had not been inside but he's quite docile n now hops in bed for rubs, tv n chatting. First time he jumped up n rolled over on his back and stared at tv. Quite funny n wish I had camera. Vet will be back soon cuz we didn't want to over stress n yes, neuter is coming down the pike as are blood work n vaccines. Any thoughts on higher breath rate-his belly will rise n fall noticeably but it does go normal. He's big ginger (12 lbs) n his tummy seems bloated but could be build. We've started play n evening walk arounds. Again, nose is better but it was painful n he had a bit of crusty darkness (blood) around nose but it's gone. Vaporizer on a lot. Thank god I got him before the arctic freeze. I told my co-worker if he ever traps a cat, again to use blanket cover or no direct sun and the trap he used fell in both front n back on a slant (like for raccoon) ...said, get proper trap. Also, as he has no urinary issues, is a bit of dry ok because I stash little piles for him to find. He is vocal n tells me when he's hungry but I'm trying to regulate that with timing. Obviously the next vet visit will teach me more n I will let them know his breath rate is up n normal.... Oh, I see so much food debate but I'm on budget yet will still get best I can...I vary it from tiki, core, blue, muse, NV, n if convenience is a factor he gets original FF chick or salmon. We guess he's 2.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be a bit of scabbing in his nose from the injury that impedes airflow, but that's just a guess. He seems to be comfortable, and eating well, so I'd just be sure to mention it to the vet when he comes back! And...THANK YOU for taking this cat in and giving him a chance at a decent life!

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard cuz I'm living with my mom n she's totally against it but there was not one way the cat was sitting outside in a trap. Then, as I'm driving him home n realized his temperament I knew I wasn't dealing with a full feral cat. So I call all rescues (they're full, of course) to look into getting him up for adoption or into foster home and it's really tough. I've told myself I'll foster him and he'll be an easy adoption, especially after being fully vetted. Now, I just want to find my own place so I can keep him but I have chronic pain that's interfered with full-time work. I'm 48 and really am angry being told I can't have a pet cuz "it's her house." I live downstairs, it's 600 SF n kitty never goes elsewhere. It reminds me how unhealthy my relationship is w/ my mom & how badly I don't want to live with her. I apologize for the disrespect to any moms but I'd like mine to sleep outside for a few nights and have to find her own food. She thinks feral cats (or roaming strays) are so happy that they just frolic all day long-idiot. Again, it's my anger talking but I'm more angry that I've been unable to work full-time. I have an open, appealed SSDI case but that's iffy. Kitty is safe n snug and if it's better for him to find secure forever home then that's what i'll do. He will not go to any HS or any place that kills. I'm starting to look for different options for myself because I'd benefit from a pet anyway and I'm tired of being bullied by her-she is a bully. Rant over. Gotta buy sum litter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping this little guy. I hope you get to keep him. Friskies and Fancy Feast canned food is just fine if you are on a budget. Yes, a little bit of dry food is okay.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get the best when I can n Friskies won't do. Lol. I'd rather sacrifice elsewhere cuz I think Friskies is icky. I fed a feral who refused to eat Friskies but I appreciate your help, I know what u mean.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have an open, appealed SSDI case but that's iffy.
Doing that right now myself, and it is tricky, and it takes FOREVER! However, if you can get it, you should qualify for rental assisted housing, rent dependent on your income. I'm on Social Security, and would be under a bridge somewhere if not for RD (Rural Development, a part of HUD). LOL, see below...

I'm starting to look for different options for myself because I'd benefit from a pet anyway
Should you get rental assisted housing, talk to your doctor about getting a letter stating that your cat is an emotional support animal. Landlords are not allowed to charge extra deposits for them in most states, and you must be allowed to keep the cat. It won't have the same legal standing as a therapy or service animal, but they do have some protections under law.

Just do the best food that you can afford. OH...what have you named him?

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the dry food is icky, but the Friskies and Fancy Feast canned isn't. That's what I feed and my cats do well on it.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doing that right now myself, and it is tricky, and it takes FOREVER! However, if you can get it, you should qualify for rental assisted housing, rent dependent on your income. I'm on Social Security, and would be under a bridge somewhere if not for RD (Rural Development, a part of HUD). LOL, see below...

Should you get rental assisted housing, talk to your doctor about getting a letter stating that your cat is an emotional support animal. Landlords are not allowed to charge extra deposits for them in most states, and you must be allowed to keep the cat. It won't have the same legal standing as a therapy or service animal, but they do have some protections under law.

Just do the best food that you can afford. OH...what have you named him?
Shmoo

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love that name! Is he named after the critters in the old Li'l Abner cartoons from the funny papers?