Rescued kitten changing colors. What color am I?

vakdevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, I just joined the cat site, having 4 cats I think it is about time. I am a cat and dog lover with older, medium aged, and young animals in my home now that my children have flown the coop. My last left for her first apartment on Sept. 1.

On Sept. 4th this year, so about 3 weeks ago, I stopped by our local Animal Control to see if a cat or kitten needed a home. Ultimately, leaving behind many gorgeous cats and kittens, I walked out with a filthy mostly white kitten with red/orange classic tabby marking on his tail, ears, and the top of his back.  He is self confident, affectionate, loves my huge and little dogs alike and is a great addition to my pet family.  I noticed as he is now cleaner, his red tabby has longer white hairs from it so at an angle he looks sort of misty.  You can sort of see it in the first picture here on his back. I tried to see what that could be and mostly found Van cats that look like him but not as much red tabby on top. Different people say he will be long haired; I see him as maybe a bit fluffy. He also has huge front paws (see last photo) and I wonder just how big he will get.  The folks at animal control only knew he was a stray and was about 8 weeks old (they neutered him before I met him). I think he was younger because he sort of tried to suckle on my fingers. He also is sooo friendly, it is hard to imagine he was not held and cuddled before me. 

So my questions are about his genetics, what kind of color pattern is this?  I mean really not that important, I just get curious about these things. I have a 7 year old Siamese mix rescue who is also gorgeously marked rescued by the SPCA from a hoarder who said he was a chocolate lynx siamese mix. I read all about siamese color patterns. I have an 18 month old mackerel grey tabby who was a barn kitten who I bottle fed. Last of all I have a 15 year old black tuxedo rescued, who is and has been confident and affectionate since I got him at 12 weeks old. Finnick, my little red tabby and white fellow reminds me of him.

Hope to hear your thoughts on his coloring and what you think he will grow up to be!

Karin

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh wow what a beautiful kitten ;)

He is going to be shorthaired :D The longer fluffy hairs on his back is just his kitten fluff, these will disappear as his coat evens out as his adult coat comes through.

His color is red classic tabby and white. He just has a higher degree of white :)
This pattern with this amount of white is often referred to as "cap and saddle" due to them looking like they are wearing a cap and saddle. Hope this helps :catguy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vakdevi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with you that his coat will be short. However, it doesn't matter, I am so in love with him whatever he turns into is fine with me. I love the swirl classic tabby markings. I love his pink nose. His pink paw pads. His extra loud purrrrrrr!