Rescued declawed cat - cat tower?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I recently rescued another stray that is declawed.  I know she belonged to someone but so far, in three weeks of searching, I've not been able to locate her owner.  She is spayed but not micro chipped.

So, it is looking like I may own her and I'm wondering if a declawed cat can use or would want to use a cat tower.  I had a small one that she showed absolutely no interest in but I have moved it out to the cat enclosure.  Since she is declawed I'm afraid to put her out there with all cats whom have claws. She seems to need more stimulation.  The only toys I've found that she likes so far is string.  She loves to play with string.

Does anyone here have a declawed cat using a tower and if so, what type?  Also...any favorite toys?

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had a declawed cat, but I've read that cat towers with plenty of ramps or ladders are most user friendly for declawed cats. I would have thought that soft toys with no spiky bits (as could happen with feathers) would be kindest to her sensitive paws. If she likes string, she'd probably like the Cat Charmer. Hopefully some others will have more ideas :)

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Out of our six, four of them are declawed. We have a large cat tower in the living room and the declawed cats are fine with it. They love to run and jump on it and they carry on just as much as the cats who have their claws. While they can't climb up the sisal-roped legs of the tower, they jump from one spot to another and they do well. I know they love that cat tower and they love sleeping on the top roosts of the tower.

http://www.petco.com/product/117495/You-And-Me-Terrace-Cat-Tree.aspx?CoreCat=CatSFC_CatFurniture    This is the cat tower we have in our living room. The declawed cats can go up to the top roosts for napping. Our old guy, BooBoo, prefers to curl up inside the cube for his nap. And if he sees another cat inside when he wants his nap, he rousts the other cat out of there.....fast! 

Tabby is a vertical scratcher and she loves that sisal rope. She'll sit on one of the platforms and scratch, scratch, scratch for quite a while. Tabby loves one of the top perches for her naptimes and we can usually find Amber Louise sacked out in the other one. Amber does not have front claws and she manages the top perch fine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, for all the feedback.  I want her to feel at home here even though she may go back to her original owner.  She's a lovely cat and I can't understand why no one seems to be looking for her.  Since we've had her she tried to escape through our garage door a couple of times.  The first time I coaxed her with food and had to grab her (which she hates)...the second time she ran the door as my husband was coming into the house but he was able to quickly close the overhead door and trap her.  Smart guy that he is gave the air compressor a couple of squeezes to make it hiss loudly and she was begging to get back inside.  She hasn't made a move towards the door since.

Her escape attempts are what made me think she needs more stimulation from the outside world which is how I found her in the first place.  With the tower and a few key toys I'm hoping to keep her happy inside.

Last edited: