Rescued cat who was locked in a room for two years

Milyki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a cat yesterday who has been locked up for two years with minimal interaction. She has hair loss and stays under my bed all of the time. She is very sweet and loves to be pet by me. She doesn’t like the other cat I have and hisses but no aggression from either cat. This is a new adventure for me so any recommendations would be helpful. Will her hair grow back with proper care? Is there a good way to help her feel good about leaving the safety of under the bed? Thanks for any input!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Welcome to TCS and bless you for taking in this poor cat!! First off, I world treat her like any new cat being brought into your home, except you need to expect her adaptation to be very slow. Secondly, don't try introducing the two cats until she has become acclimated to you and her new home. She doesn't need the extra stress of dealing with so many things at once.
Lastly, you can try setting up some boxes turned upside down with an entryway cut into them so that she can have other options to use besides just under the bed - but, let her decide when to come out from under the bed. As long as her food/water, litter box are close by, she will likely come out to use them, and then go back under the bed for some time ahead.
I am adding some links to TCS articles that I think may help you devise a plan going forward (see below).

As far as her hair growing back - it all depends on what caused it in the first place. She also should be vetted before your resident cat is exposed to her, in case she has some issues that could be transmitted, and that the vet can treat first.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking in this kitty. Do keep her separated from your other cat until she acclimates. I also would suggest that you either block under the bed so she cannot get under or possibly put your mattress on the floor. It is very difficult to work with a cat that can hide under the bed. Instead offer her other safe places to hide such as a cabana bed or even cardboard boxes.

I would go in and sit on the floor and talk with her. Tell her she is safe. Play soft music (harp music or other cat music) for her. When you visit you can try to other high value treats. This can be something like Churu lickables, canned tuna, plain cooked chicken or even really stinky canned cat food. She will begin to associate you with something good.

Also sit on the floor when you interact with her so you are not looming over her. No direct eye contact. Keep your gaze above her head or below. Talk softly. I used to go into the room of a cat I was socializing and just sit with my laptop/phone or a book and just sit quietly. I would do this often for short periods gradually lengthening the time I was there.

She is going to need plenty of time and patience. This will not be a quick process. Be prepared for one step forward and a few steps back. You need to find a pace that works for you and the cat. We humans tend to really rush the process. We want the cat out and about and we want the new cat to be friends with our existing cat. When the process is rushed you often end of having to back track. Take it slow and steady.

You can also try Feliway plugs in or calming treats. I really like Composure liquid max that you can easily mix into wet food. During difficult times, the dosage can be doubled and given twice daily. You can find it on Amazon or Chewy.

Has this kitty been seen by a vet? Do you know if she has been spayed? Vet care is very important especially since you have another cat. Also with the hair loss this is something a vet should see.

We are all her to help! Thank you again for rescuing her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only point I think that shadowsrescue shadowsrescue and I disagree on is about the bed situation. Do what you feel is best, but I think once a cat decides to hide under bed, it is best to leave them there until they decide to come out on their own. The trauma of getting them out from under the bed in order to block off underneath the bed is not worth it. From what you said, you are able to pet this cat already, so it sounds like you have enough access to her to leave her be, at least for a while. Just IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milyki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she will not produce any litters of kittens. It’s a must in our home. She has come out on occasion to greet me but I will not traumatize her by closing off a “safe space”.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only point I think that shadowsrescue shadowsrescue and I disagree on is about the bed situation. Do what you feel is best, but I think once a cat decides to hide under bed, it is best to leave them there until they decide to come out on their own. The trauma of getting them out from under the bed in order to block off underneath the bed is not worth it. From what you said, you are able to pet this cat already, so it sounds like you have enough access to her to leave her be, at least for a while. Just IMO.
Agree completely. When I got my cat home, 1 year old and a mother, she hid behind furniture for two months. I just left her there and talked to her, provided food water and litter, which she used no problem. Eventually she came out and started slaughtering mice. She's been quite the happy cat since then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Milyki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a cat yesterday who has been locked up for two years with minimal interaction. She has hair loss and stays under my bed all of the time. She is very sweet and loves to be pet by me. She doesn’t like the other cat I have and hisses but no aggression from either cat. This is a new adventure for me so any recommendations would be helpful. Will her hair grow back with proper care? Is there a good way to help her feel good about leaving the safety of under the bed? Thanks for any input!
IMG_6212.jpeg
IMG_6209.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
And another wow! It took my cat 3 months to leave her hiding spot. She is one lucky girl! If you can,inspect her fur. Fleas can be one cause. I would wait to have her combo tested though she may be ok if she was alone. Sometimes purina pro plan calming care in powder packets at the vets only helps

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can say, I brought in my Jake who was already neutered last year after 2 years of caring for him outside. When he first showed up, I was feeding and watering and providing shelter. He looked like he had mange so I couldn't bring him in with my other cats. It went away and it healed. Maybe he'd been abused. Idk. It's been about 10 months now he's been inside. I lost two of his outside buddies and had enough. I managed to get him to the vet twice. He had a broken tooth that had to be extracted the second time. His favorite place is under the bed. He's nocturnal. Rarely comes out. But he's terrified if he's eating in the kitchen and I open the door to leave. He was such a lover outside and is inside. He just likes to be alone. He's now to the point he'll occasionally jump on the bed. And visits in the morning and evening when I'm working. He's so sweet. Just skittish. The other two strays I took in before him don't act like that. Cats are individuals. Sometimes they just really want to be left alone. Any cat owner knows your cat will find you when they want you.

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don’t you mean servant? Shame on whoever had that poor kitty first and allowed her to get so hairless and timid. Why get a cat if you’re just going to treat it like a stuffie nobody wants? I’m sorry, negligence gets my hackles raised almost as much as abuse. Good for you, giving her the loving home she’s deserved all along. Just give her time.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have no clue where my Jake came from. But he was neutered. And for two years I watched him look after younger cats outside. Jerry disappeared for a few days then finally came back. He'd been hit by a car and came back here. Jake stayed with him til I finally had to call animal control. 4/2022. They had a couple shelters outside my house. Jerry crawled into the window and couldn't move. Then Oreo disappeared last year. I assume she got preggers and left. So I brought in Jake. I quit smoking and wasn't going outside. He's the sweetest. Why anyone just put him out I don't understand.

catlady1979

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My pic is Benny and the Jets. She's about 5 now. Another rescue from outside. Beautiful girl, very lovey. I thought she was a boy for the first year until she went into heat. So, I took her in and to the vet and then to a friend. She hated the dog so now she's with me. Lol. I also have her older half brother Rocky Raccoon. They're both Maine Coone mix.