Rescued Barn Cats

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently rescued three aged barn cats. The stable was closing and the loyal old cats had no place to go. I have two cats at home who get along well. One of the rescues is settling but is very nervous. The problem I have is the second rescue a beautiful long hair about 10-13 years old is fighting with my two cats so I am keeping them apart. The long haired boy had some health problems that I have taken care of and I would like to know the best way to introduce him two my two cats. The first of the three rescues (an 18 year old female) has settled really well and is now in charge.

Any suggestions I could get regarding getting the long hair to integrate would be much appreciated. He is very affectionate and wants all of the attention.

jimvierling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are they actually fur flying fighting or just posturing and hissing? If the fur flying type, how often do they do it?

Cats like to establish a hierarchy, especially outside cats. It may not be that bad of a thing. You may want to keep them separate, but let them smell and see each other for awhile.

What you do not want is any constant bullying as it will adversely affect the bullied cat.

The attention thing sounds a little like jealousy so he will just have to get over it or start giving him less attention until he figures it out.

One of the Advisors can probably give you some links to read or better advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jim, thanks very much for this. They are doing the fur flying type, and it happens almost every time I let the new boy join the other cats. He usually then runs back downstairs. I thought about getting a large dog crate and  letting the boy get used to being around the other cats without attacking them. Do you think this is a good idea? I do know one of my females (not a current rescue) is also very jealous so they come to blows. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I thought about letting them sort it out but there is still a lot of fur flying.

Many thanks.

jimvierling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keeping them apart may be your best option for now then. You don't want them getting wounded and infected. The large dog crate may work, just put it somewhere where the other cats can not jump on top of it. Putting food for each on opposite sides of a see through plexiglass barrier may get them used to eating close together. then replace it with a sturdy screen so they can see and smell each other better. you may even be able to just get away with the screen.

Maybe try petting them both while they can see each other.

Are the barn cats already spayed and neutered?

Most likely you are just going to have to be patient.

I had one female rescue cat that was about 1 year old when I adopted 2 more 4 month old kittens a male and a female. That was 2 and 1/2 year ago and the first female has not totally forgiven me yet. The first female and the male did fight once, but the first female waited too long and the male was 10 pound heavier by then. He pretty much kicked her butt, but she is still in charge somewhat. She is a tortoise shell. She still hisses at the other two if they chase her trying to play.

You could try switching their favorite bedding without washing it to see if that helps them get used to each other.

Good luck and they will most likely come around.

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again Jim. All the barn cats are spayed/neutered. There are two boys and one girl. The old 18 year old girl has done it right. She is on the main level of the house with my two cats and she told them who is boss, just hisses to keep them in line and all is well. Downstairs are the two males. Freddy, is timid and just comes out of hiding for me but is becoming more secure every day. The "grey peril" Smokey the long haired agressor gets on fairly well with Freddy but does get miffed when he thinks I am paying too much attention to Freddy. Freddy has bopped him once or twice and he usually walks away. It is one of the two residents that Smokey seems to fight with and I will admit the one he fights with is also fiercely jealous of other cats. All of the cats are rescues and I have rescued hundreds over the years but never seen any two "go at it" like these two. 

I will take your advice and try the crate and screen. Will wait a week or two as Smokey just had much needed dental work. Maybe he will be happier now that the pain in his mouth has gone.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible just to allow the two boys to have downstairs as their territory and the other three the rest of the house?  It would help cut down on the fights and allow them all to have their own space.  Will probably help with the stress level, too.  Change is bad enough for cats - these old guys must be really stressed out.

Otherwise, I would make sure I was in the room whenever there are interactions, just to make sure no one gets hurt.

Thank you for taking them!  They deserve a quiet old age!

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Ondine for your response.  Yes, it is possible for them to have their own space and that is how it is now. Freddy is not ready to explore anyway but Smokey desperately wants to be on the main level where I am. Unfortunately, he and one of my residents "Slinky" (rescued 6 years ago from the same barn!!) also is very possessive of my attention and then the fur flies. I would never let Smokey up stairs unless I was present and able to stop any fights. I would love to have them all in the same place so they could be a family but it will take time or at least let them feel free to be where they want to be. I try to spend as much time as possible with the boys downstairs but I don't have a lot a spare time as a full time caregiver.

I would never have left therm when the stable closed, I fed them for many years when the stable was active and I agree they deserve a quiet comfortable retirement. I guess I will persevere and hope it all comes together. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so good that they already know you. They just have to adjust to the new digs and the new roommates, so it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Just take it slowly and in time, they will make friends. They may never be lovey-dovey but they will learn to co-exist.

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again Ondine. Although I only fed them every other day, they did know my voice. Did not always see them but left food. It is amazing how clean they are. Each has his/her own litter and not one single accident. The first old lady arrived early April, the second male (Smokey) arrived in June and Freddy  the other male arrived end of July. I had to trap him as no one could get near him. I can't believe how well he is adjusting. Waits for me at the stairs when he knows it is feed time and then looks for pets and scratches after. I do feel I make a little progress each day. I will be patient.

Thanks again.

booper5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again Ondine, It is wonderful to see the little changes every day. Freddy is the big surprise (a handsome ginger Tom) and the one I worried about most of all. He is really starting to feel comfortable in his new digs.

I feel blessed that I could give them a retirement home.