Rescued Abandoned Kitten, Need Health Advice

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will preface my questions with some history involving Fox, my latest rescue.
I rescue kittens in my neighborhood often. My first rescue was named Willow, and nearly succombed to what I believe was fading kitten syndrome. She pulled through and is with us today. Another rescue was named Wilder by his new owner and is in good health, and my more recent rescues Puar and Boo had to be bottle fed, as they were abandoned at approx. two weeks of age, but are in excellent health here at my home. Puar and Boo share Fox's mother, and based on this, as well as Fox's siblings from the litter, a family history of good health can be established.
I found fox 36 hours ago outside my home, abandoned near my car laying on a tarp. I know her mother, and two siblings from her litter. Her mother and two siblings are healthy, in good shape, and have plenty of energy around the yard, however Fox did not run, did not move, and did not meow at all when I approached, which was my first clue something was wrong. I scooped her up and called in to work to let them know I would be late. I took out my KMR powder and immediately mixed some up for her. She was reluctant to eat. She is able to eat soft canned kitten food and hard kitten food, but only if hand fed to her. She has urinated and defecated since her rescue, but there is a major problem, and it has me seriously worried; she has no energy.
She does not bobble or flop around, and displays good focus, but does not get up and run around any, as her older siblings Puar and Boo did at her age. Her limbs are smaller than I would expect, and while she did cry out when she needed to use the bathroom, she otherwise lays in my arms wrapped in a towel. I have checked her for fleas/mites, and found her to be mostly clean, with some mite dirt in her ears. Her body is generating heat and she seems able to regulate her own temperature for the most part, but the lack of energy has me seriously worried.
I have been feeding her every 4-6 hours with KMR, two to four tablespoons at each feeding, warmed to mimic her mother's milk. She has eaten some soft food, but not very much. When she lays in my arms, she does not actually go to sleep, more lays there with her eyes open a bit. She was dehydrated based on her skin elasticity when I first found her, but this is improving. Her movements are becoming more prominent, mostly with tail flicking and head movements at sudden sounds ,etc.
Based on Willow's experience, I do not think she has entered into a medical crisis yet, as she can still hold herself up, but with her being reluctant to move or act on her own is my greatest worry; I feel if I do not do something soon, I may lose her.
Today is Saturday night/Sunday morning, and the veterinary clinic is closed on Sundays. Without an emergency clinic to visit, she has to be able to make it to Monday morning before I can take her to an expert to have her fully checked for infection/dehydration/etc. Until then, I intend to keep her warm and as well fed as I can manage, but I am hoping to find something to help bolster her energy levels. I do not have Pedialyte at my disposal currently, and need to find some other form of nutrient delivery to make sure she has enough sugars and such in her system; I have read several differing opinions on honey for use in this situation, and I hope the community here can help me come up with a definitive answer soon. Can I give her honey to help with her lack of energy?
As I have already stated I am seriously worried I will lose her within the next 36 hours if her condition worsens, and I need all the help I can to keep it from happening. I feel that, if I can restore her energy, she could potentially pull through without veterinary aid, but I have no idea what I should give her/if I should give her anything outside of the scope of what I am already doing.
Please help if you can. Any advice is appreciated to help save this little angel.

20180727_163448.jpg
20180727_213206.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A quick update, just got news from my wife that Fox is up and moving on her own, and feeding on her own now! This is excellent news and puts my mind at ease some, but only time will tell if she makes it all the way or not. I'm gonna keep with her through it, and make sure she makes it!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I saw you gave food too seldom.
Its in part faulty timetables on the labels.

So more often and in practice more goats milk or kmr.

Yes you can add a little honey.
I often give this advice.

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the input! I will increase how often we are feeding her. We were able to catch one of her sisters today, so hopefully with a little family support and the appropriate timetables, she will continue to improve.

I will try a little honey when I get back home. I want to be there to keep an eye on her to watch for any changes in behaviour, good or bad.

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another day passed. Fox's eneegy has increased and she is becoming more active now, and with more frequent feedings she seems to be doing better. Her sister, who I am naming patches for now, presented with much more energy but has developed diarrhea. I haven't yet given them honey, as they both were reaching a good amount of energy. I feel the worst has passed, but this diarrhea development will prove to be a new and daunting hurdle for Patches. Any advice for treatment, aside from keeping high fluids?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The recommended amount of food is 8ml goats milk or kmr / 30 grammes a day.
So a kitten of say 300 grammes shall have 10x8 = 80 ml during the day. More if it wants more is OK.

OK, diarrhea. Pedialyte, bough or home made is more or less necessary. Its the grand help against all severe diarrheas.

A good recipe for diarrhea is use white rice, have lotsa of water, boil it twice as long you would boil the rice. Use the water hereof, which will contain carbos solved and glucose sugar. Add kitchen salt - best minerale salt. Not too much of these salts, it shall barely taste salty. Alternatively you can use as salt source some good minerale water. You see on the label it contains lotsa of different salts.

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again, it seems to be helping! We are at the vet now, and they are definitely very sick, but she thinks we can save them. They said they are lucky enough I found them, without me they wouldnt have made it. We're gonna make sure our furry friends live.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing hookworms, yes? Nasty parasites, suck all the energy out of a kitty. Glad you found her on time, I hope you can get her up and running soon!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And maybe tape worms? Any cat exposed to fleas has a good chance of being infected with tapeworms.

Thank you for rescuing the kittens. Just mom cat and and one kitten to go!

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, good news for both rescues! Although they had bad ear mites, ringworm, an upper respitory infection, malnourishment, and an eye infection, the vet was able to get the right medication for them, and today not only do they have their energy back, but they are also starting to purr when we cuddle and pet them! More TLC is needed for both, but they are expected to make a full recovery!
Thank you all for the advice and the help. I'm not sure they would have made it without you guys! I'm so glad I joined this forum.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they seem to have problems with most major body systems. Keep pushing the KMR, and other kitty food. Even a healthy kitten can't be over fed at their apparent age. Plus they need to overcomer being malnourished.

Hope they continue to do well. Keep us updated, please!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if it is safe to do steam treatments to help with the URI symptoms. I was advised to do this by my vet when my Starbuck had a bad URI when she was six weeks old. Run the shower as hot as possible to steam up your bathroom. Take the kittens into the steamy bathroom and sit with them for 15-20 minutes 2x-3x a day. This can help break down the congestion.

Tirandarr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, today was the last day for their medications. They are nothing like when I found them. Both so full of life and playful! They did it, they made it through. Now for the hardest part.. finding them homes. It always breaks my heart to see them leave, but I know I can't care for all of them. I already have a family friend interested, so hopefully she will take them both and they can live together! Time will tell, but their hardest part of their journey is over, for now. Thank you all again for the help, you have all been so kind and informative. I won't forget it!

Patches sits on the lower right, the black one with patches of white fur. Fox sits on the left hand side, the grey and black striped one. And now, our newest rescue, Gizmo in the top right, orange with a white face! She is identical to one we lost in a battle against fleas and old age last year, so she is definitely a permanent member of the family now.
20180811_012130.jpg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve done a great job with them!

Can you have them fully vaccinated and fixed before going to their new homes?