Rescued A Stray, Now She Is Lost :(

Cat_Boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last September, a few days before the hurricane was to hit Florida, we took in a stray kitty that was living behind our business. We had been feeding her everyday for atleast 2 1/2 months prior, and she had become so sweet and comfortable, meowing like crazy for our attention and wanting to come in the business with us. So naturally when the huge storm was approaching, we didn’t think twice about atleast taking her in temporarily.
She walked right into the cage and we took her home and set her up comfortably in her own private room/bathroom because we have other cats. We took her to the vet and got her up to date with all her shots and got de-working medicine. She ended up being so happy and receptive and ready for Love that we ended up deciding to keep her. We slowly intergrated her with our other cats and before we knew it we had another kitty happily amongst our kitty crew. She would happily bathe and play with her new, older kitty siblings. We had her for 10 months, and 2 weeks ago, she slipped out unknowingly through the front door as we were saying good bye to our friends. The bond we created with her was deep and she was, not be dramatic, but she was our baby. We Have been so sad and worried. We stayed up for over 24 hours the first night looking for her throughout the neighborhoods. We’ve gone out many nights and days looking for her. We posted flyers, spoke to some neighbors. We left our articles of unwashed laundry, toys and blankets she would lay on. Every think we could research, we did. It’s been two weeks now but we still haven’t had her return. The possibilities drive me crazy and I’m just hoping that somewhere she is happy out there. It breaks my heart thinking she is out there and scared. My hope is that since we took her in when she was 5 months old, that her instincts were still strong after 10 months indoors and she is just living her life happily. Anyways, just wanted to share my story with like minded folks. Any advice or discussion is welcome :(

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry your sweet kitty is missing. First off, is she spayed? If not is it possible she is in heat and out and about?

Have you tried sprinkling some of her litter around your home? It might attract her to her scent. Have you tried setting a humane cat trap and baiting it with food? If she is hungry it might entice her.

Also you can purchase a trail camera or a wireless ip camera to see if she is around your property.

Here are 2 articles about lost cats.
Tips for finding a lost cat
Must-Do Tips for Finding a Lost Cat | Petfinder

Please keep us posted.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Have you also posted on pawboost, nextdoor, facebooks lost pet section, and any other online lost pet website?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you keep in touch with your local shelter, make sure you give them a picture and info. Facebook is a great way to get info out, as are local free radio shows for the older folks. Don'tb give up. Keep walking the neighborhood and looking for her down alleys and in back yards. I have had cats disappear for over a month and show back up, so don't give up hope. I will pray that she is returned to you! If she does come home make sure she and any other cats you have get a breakaway collar that has your phone number on it. They don't like them at first but get used to them in time.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last September, a few days before the hurricane was to hit Florida, we took in a stray kitty that was living behind our business. We had been feeding her everyday for atleast 2 1/2 months prior, and she had become so sweet and comfortable, meowing like crazy for our attention and wanting to come in the business with us. So naturally when the huge storm was approaching, we didn’t think twice about atleast taking her in temporarily.
She walked right into the cage and we took her home and set her up comfortably in her own private room/bathroom because we have other cats. We took her to the vet and got her up to date with all her shots and got de-working medicine. She ended up being so happy and receptive and ready for Love that we ended up deciding to keep her. We slowly intergrated her with our other cats and before we knew it we had another kitty happily amongst our kitty crew. She would happily bathe and play with her new, older kitty siblings. We had her for 10 months, and 2 weeks ago, she slipped out unknowingly through the front door as we were saying good bye to our friends. The bond we created with her was deep and she was, not be dramatic, but she was our baby. We Have been so sad and worried. We stayed up for over 24 hours the first night looking for her throughout the neighborhoods. We’ve gone out many nights and days looking for her. We posted flyers, spoke to some neighbors. We left our articles of unwashed laundry, toys and blankets she would lay on. Every think we could research, we did. It’s been two weeks now but we still haven’t had her return. The possibilities drive me crazy and I’m just hoping that somewhere she is happy out there. It breaks my heart thinking she is out there and scared. My hope is that since we took her in when she was 5 months old, that her instincts were still strong after 10 months indoors and she is just living her life happily. Anyways, just wanted to share my story with like minded folks. Any advice or discussion is welcome :(
I am so sorry, C Cat_Boy , that your sweet girl is missing! Other posters have some excellent suggestions. I've heard that, believe it or not, setting a cat's litterbox outside may be a draw for a missing cat, because -- again, so I've heard -- cats can be particular about their toileting place, and may be drawn back to the one that has their scent. Also, of course, setting food out is a good draw, but anyone else in the area may well eat it, and it can draw, not only insects but unwanted predators, so I would give careful thought to that before doing it. *PRAYERS* for her to return safe and well to you soon, and stay in and safe from then on!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers that your kitty will turn up. But you have to actively look for her. Go to the shelters. Keep putting up posters. Keep asking neighbors. Mission Reunite has some good ideas about looking for a lost pet.

And take heart. My Zabi was missing for a month before someone who saw my poster called me.

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry your girl is missing :( I will pray that you find her healthy and happy.

I rescued my stray when she was 4 months old. She ran away when she was 10 months old. I found her 4 days later at midnight around the same place she 'lived' before we rescued her. She was hidden under a bush.

I hope you'll find your girl too. Please don't give up actively looking for her! :(

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep expanding the area you are putting fliers up. One of my friend's had a cat that got out. It took over two months to get her back. Her cat wound up in the next town over being taken care of by an elderly lady that knew nothing about micro-chips. Her cat was found when this lady's daughter saw one of the fliers my friend had just put up in their neighborhood. The daughter went to visit her mother and called my friend to stop by and see if this her cat. Neither one was educated about micro-chips. My friend explained how micro-chips work to them. It turned out this lady was feeding other cats that had wandered into her yard. Her daughter and my friend took the other cats to my friend's vet to be scanned for chips. Three cats in addition to my friend's cats were re-united with their owners. My friend has told this lady if any more cats show up to be fed and she needs help getting them checked for micro-chips that she would step up and transport them to the vet to be checked. The lady's daughter also told her mom to call her if she found anymore new cats. My friend has kept in touch with them since she got her cat back. This lady's daughter has since helped re-unite three more cats with their owners. They were both very thankful that my friend took the time to explain micro-chips to them. This lady had been feeding my friend's cat in her yard for almost two months.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep expanding the area you are putting fliers up. One of my friend's had a cat that got out. It took over two months to get her back. Her cat wound up in the next town over being taken care of by an elderly lady that knew nothing about micro-chips. Her cat was found when this lady's daughter saw one of the fliers my friend had just put up in their neighborhood. The daughter went to visit her mother and called my friend to stop by and see if this her cat. Neither one was educated about micro-chips. My friend explained how micro-chips work to them. It turned out this lady was feeding other cats that had wandered into her yard. Her daughter and my friend took the other cats to my friend's vet to be scanned for chips. Three cats in addition to my friend's cats were re-united with their owners. My friend has told this lady if any more cats show up to be fed and she needs help getting them checked for micro-chips that she would step up and transport them to the vet to be checked. The lady's daughter also told her mom to call her if she found anymore new cats. My friend has kept in touch with them since she got her cat back. This lady's daughter has since helped re-unite three more cats with their owners. They were both very thankful that my friend took the time to explain micro-chips to them. This lady had been feeding my friend's cat in her yard for almost two months.
What a wonderful caring gesture! Two houses ago, there were a lot of community cats in the neighborhood and we had the policy that any cat in our yard got spayed/neutered, innoculated, and adopted by us. We found out later that one cat actually had a home, but by that time he had gone to live in another country, because we could not successfully treat the skin problem he had, and he was accepted into Best Friends in Utah, from where he was adopted. He had a wonderful life!