Rescued A Stray 9 Week Kitten

Emyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI there! So, three days ago I rescued a kitten (who was friendly and hardly afraid) and took him in. The vet, who we visited yesterday, said he had ear mites, a broken arm which went through his wrist (so it would heal just fine), and she did all the usual checkup stuff. Shots, vaccinations, so on. We knew his arm was hurt, although he rarely cried about it or seemed to be bothered (besides walking on his elbow). My concern today is that when we found him we noticed he had uneven pupils. We forgot to mention it to the vet yesterday, but we also figured she didn't think it was a problem. His eye seems normal, he doesn't touch it or seem in pain, but we don't know about a head trauma or anything, or how he acts and what would be odd behavior. Luckily, we're going to the vet tomorrow so he can get a splint, so we'll ask then. But I'd like an opinion on here as well, in case she doesn't know. He is only 9 weeks old, she thought, and he's smart and active and also sleepy at the same time, so he seems to function normally. His large pupil is on his left side, but the arm/wrist he broke was on the right side, so it may not be head trauma. He seems absolutely fine besides the pupils. And, since we took him to the vet yesterday and she took his temp and didn't seem to notice or mention any problems, he doesn't seem to have a fever either. He eats normally as well. As for head tilting I havent really noticed anything like that. Any help would be appreciated. While he's new to the family, Tiny Tim (named for his broken leg which we expected to be permanent), is so sweet and such a lovable addition to the family. Below is a photo of his eyes. While he's in different lighting for both eyes in the picture, when the lighting is even his eyes are still uneven.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:thud:uh-oh....Tiny Tim gave me "cuteness overload"....He is soooo adorable and strongly favors my Maine Coon J.C. when he was that age. Honestly, I don"t think that I have ever seen a pupil with that angle and shape....I am very interested in what the vet discovers. Prayers for an easy vet appt. tomorrow .:vibes:........Susan

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my, he is a cutie! Thank you for helping him.

It may turn out to be head trauma. Perhaps his head was hurt when his leg was broken? The vet may order and CT or MRI.

Either way, you are smart to take him back. Hopefully, it is something minor or easily fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emyem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, the vet put a cast on his arm. Said it could be nerve damage in his wrist or a broken wrist. As for the eyes, the vet said she didn't see any problems, which was a great relief. And now it's beginning to look normal again. In dark lights and when he widens his eyes (like how cats make their pupils wide when they look at something scary or interesting) the one eye is still a bit bigger, but overall he has two similar eyes now. It's so strange. But things are looking up for the baby.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good the arm has been set. Hopefully it will heal nicely.

It's also good his eyes look better!

Keep us posted! :)