Rescued a Feral

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I rescued a gorgeous girl from a pound with an 80% kill rate. They kept her at the back because she wasn't adoptable. I didn't know this until I picked her up but I don't regret it, she doesn't deserve to die.

She seemed sweet until I got her home where she then ripped my arms apart and bit me. She isn't playing! I put her in a large dog cage with a litter box, wet food and water, blanket and bed, and some toys. I have worked with scared cats before but those cats were unsure of themselves, they would swat but have their nails in, this girl means business. She isn't spayed yet, we are going to probably have that done this week, she is going to the vet tomorrow and we will book it then.

Any advice on how to calm her down and work with her would be great. I am going to take it slow and give her all the time she needs but I want to make sure I do this right for her. 

Thank you. 

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you for saving her life.

You sound like you know what you're doing - lots of patience... most likely she'll settle down a bit when she's spayed.

You  could try the feliway diffuser, and/or a pheromone collar (I believe it helped a bit with my Rascal. Only a bit, mind you, he'll still bite deep when he's upset. I love him anyway.) There are also calming treats, if she will eat those (Rascal doesn't, of course).

Last edited:

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one more thing:  the Sassy Cat, a feral I trapped and relocated to my front yard, nearly ripped my arm off the first time I got hold of her (can't blame her because I intended to stuff her into a trap). 

Now, a year later, she'll jump onto my lap and knead whenever I sit outside. I can pick her up without a fuss when no other people are present.

so, yes, it can be done, but it might take a while

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flambardslover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice! I think I have really misjudged this beautiful girl. 

I left her alone for a couple hours after sitting with her for a while and just talking softly to her, not touching her, just talking. When I went back, I opened the large dog cage to let her out and I didn't touch her, I just moved out of the way. She climbed onto my lap and started purring. She was just terrified and unsure of what would happen with her after leaving that horrible pound. 

I guess I just assumed she was like this because they mentioned she was in the back away from the public and that she acted out like this all the time. Also my past fosters who were scared would typically run and hide and hiss if you tried to touch them, or swat with nails in. But she had nails out, teeth out and wasn't hiding. 

But she is safe now, she isn't feral and I'll continue to show her she will be ok.

We have named her Destiny. She will be off to the vet tomorrow, hopefully she can be spayed this week! :) 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I think I have really misjudged this beautiful girl. 

I left her alone for a couple hours after sitting with her for a while and just talking softly to her, not touching her, just talking. When I went back, I opened the large dog cage to let her out and I didn't touch her, I just moved out of the way. She climbed onto my lap and started purring. She was just terrified and unsure of what would happen with her after leaving that horrible pound. 

I guess I just assumed she was like this because they mentioned she was in the back away from the public and that she acted out like this all the time. Also my past fosters who were scared would typically run and hide and hiss if you tried to touch them, or swat with nails in. But she had nails out, teeth out and wasn't hiding. 

But she is safe now, she isn't feral and I'll continue to show her she will be ok.

We have named her Destiny. She will be off to the vet tomorrow, hopefully she can be spayed this week! :) 
This reminds me of some situations with humans, young people who were abused.   they test the wanna be savior. by badly misbehaving. Or if they were sexually abused, perhaps incest,  they test by sexually invitations....

If you pass the test,  stand through the test period, prove yourself be reliable - the turning point comes.

Perhaps it was so here too.

Congrats!   Well done!

Please, do accept my thanks, given in the name of The Cat.