Rescue Kitten Goes Blind

Mrs_Gacse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! This is my first time posting in one of these things! I hope someone can help! I just rescued this poor kitten last week. His right eye seemed to maybe be ripped? So over the course of 3 days, this poor kitten lost his sight in both eyes. The right eye is now protruding from his head. And it’s crusted over. It looks horrible and painful. We are taking him to the vet at the end of this week, but I need help with how to care for it in the mean time. And if anyone has had this problem before, can you please tell me what could happen at the vets office? I would like to be somewhat prepared. Anyway, if anyone can give me some tips on blind kittens or how to care for his eye, let me know. Thank you all for your time! God bless!!!! ❤❤

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!
I am very sorry to hear about this poor kitten :-(
Well done for rescuing him :-)
I would suggest taking him to the vet ASAP as things can quickly get out of hand... a picture would be helpful :-)
You NEED to get him to a vet ASAP! He seems to be in a lot of pain and needs to be put on painkillers and seen by a vet as soon as possible... the end of the week is too far away :-(
At the vets office they will examine him and you need to write down and monitor him closely! is he eating the right amount? Doing litter? does he have worms? Does he have fleas? Is he in pain? (yes :-() You also need to weigh him using a digital scale and monitor his behavior too!
Bless this poor baby :-(

Good Luck!
Keep us updated! :-)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until you can get him to the vet, you might try sterile saline eye drops, just to keep his poor eye moist. It won't help the underlying cause, but will make him marginally more comfortable. Do get him there ASAP, though.

Once you get the injuries taken care of, this kitten should do well. Blind kittens are very much like any other. They quickly learn their way around (hooray for whisker!), and love to play. Look for toys that make noise...things with little jingle bells, crinkle balls, stuff that "chirps" when they move... things like that. This is the wonderful thing about cats...he will not for one minute bemoan his lost sight. He won't think about it. He will simply go about learning how to have a full life just as he is in the moment. Try not to leave things lying where there was once open space, and he will do very well, indeed, and be a very happy boy.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that the kitten needs to see a vet ASAP. This condition sounds painful and potentially serious.

As for tips for dealing with a blind kitten, there isn't really anything special you need to do. Toad is mostly blind, and she doesn't require any special accommodations. I recommend toys that make noise, like jingle balls. Other than that, you shouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary care-wise.