Rescue Cat Won't Use Litter Box

hamahannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I need help!
I rescued an adorable 2 yr old female Scottish Fold from an animal shelter in South Korea. (I'm currently an English teacher here.) They found her abandoned on a golf course with another Scottish Fold, so I don't have any prior information from her past home. Soon after adopting my cat, I realized that she was not litter trained. After finding that out, I started searching online how to teach her.

I've already had her checked out by the vet and he has said she is healthy. I've tried using 3 different litters and I've also added another litter box so she has two to choose from. I've tried confining her in my bathroom with her bed, toys, food, and litter box and there has only been minimal progress. (By minimal I mean that she used it only 3/7 times in a week and after the first few days she stopped using it. I tried to clean up after her as she went and I don't know if that is the wrong thing to do?)

I tried using puppy pads and that has been the only thing that has worked up until now. I got her to use the puppy pads in the litter box and I started to slowly cover it with litter to see if she would start to get the idea. She showed me that she does not approve of that by peeing next to her litter box. XD

Taking her back to the pound is not an option for me, but I am also becoming frustrated and my patience is wearing thin. I don't know what to do and I don't have the time to do a full scrub down of my bathroom every day. I am trying to take her back to the vet on Monday for a checkup and to ask for advice. I was wondering if anyone else had a hard time getting a cat to use the litterbox. If so, how were you able to get them to start using it? Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats typically don't use the litter box because of medical issues (pain, infection, etc) or behavioral (stress, etc). Also, the type of litter could be an issue.

Did the vet check her paws? Sometimes the paws could be the reason. Is she going often? Or does she look like she is straining or acting differently?

Cats typically want to cove their scent. When they choose not to they could be trying to say to another cat "this is mine". It is territorial behavior. Are there any cats that are around the outside of your home? Or any cats above or next your place?

Sometimes the type of litter is a problem. It could be too scented.

The fact she did use it then stopped suggests to me that it could be territorial or stress driven.

So I would do a few things. Firstly, cats take on our emotions so try to be as calm and confident around her as possible. Just clean up after her never yell at her, lock her away or do anything that might cause stress or a negative experience. Cats already feel bad about going outside of the litter box as they want to cover their scent.

Then I would step up play with her in any area where she is going. Really good play sessions then after play feed either treats or a meal. This builds confidence and territorial ownership replicating what they do in the wild (Hunt, Capture, Kill, Eat). Try to get a cat tree or two so she can go high in the world and look outside. Height builds confidence as they can look down at any risks or perceived risks. Also, add some scratching posts so she can get her scent on things and "own" more territory. Also, give her as many warm and comfortable places to sleep and hangout. Finally, be calm and confident around her, give her love (as long as you are not at risk of being injured in any way), let her know she is loved and wanted. Give her treats.

Does she shy away from you if you look at her? How does she walk around your home? Does she hide at all or does she hang out in sight and on things?

Finally, I would place anything she does in the litter box so it takes on her scent and encourages her to go in it. Also, you may not want to clean the litter box right after she goes. If you have three litter boxes she can always choose a clean one if she wants.

Also, she may like a litter box in a more hidden location. Some cats like more privacy so place a litter box in a more hidden place and see if she uses it.

Also, I have not tried this but I know some people place some dirt in a litter box. You may want to ask about that (or hopefully someone with experience with that will suggest the pros and cons of doing that).

There can be a number of reasons why she is doing this but their instinct is to use the litter box so I think we will have success in getting her to use it as well.

I hope this helps, I can try to answer any questions you may have. Hopefully others will also have some suggestions to help. Hang in there and thank you so much for saving her life!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hamahannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!! Her paws are malformed (the vet thinks it was from birth and not injury) but she has no problems running, playing, or clawing at things so I didn't think it would be that big of an issue.
I'm using Tidy Cats now, but when I go back to the vet I will see if he has any recommendations for a litter that will suit her!
I'll also try and make playtime a lot more structured and see if that helps!
She has a cat tree but pretty much ignores it.

She isn't that shy anymore! (Unless I bring out the scary vacuum haha) She likes to sit next to me and sometimes follow me around the house.
Thank you so much for the great advice! :)

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Calicosspecial gave you great advice! I want to second the non scented litter, maybe even a paper litter.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she has peed in the past on puppy pads, try a soft litter like SWheat. And make sure whatever you choose is unscented.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

I am so glad to hear she is warming up to you sitting next to you and following you around. Would you say she is confident or do you think she is a little co-dependent still?

Play will help build her confidence and her "ownership" of the territory. And that should help with the problem if that is the cause. Remember after play to feed either treats or a meal.

The fact her paws are different could suggest that the litter is an issue and that she needs something different (type of litter) for her paws. I would ask the vet if he thinks her paws might be the source of the problem and what he may suggest. Susan brings up a great suggestion and advice on the type of litter (soft and unscented) to try supported by the fact she did use the puppy pad inside the litter box. Personally I would continue to have a litter box or two with puppy pads inside them while you try new soft unscented litter in other boxes.

When she goes outside of the litter box are there any common locations? By doors, windows, etc? Or does it seem random?

Don't worry, we will figure this out and resolve it. Thank you so much for supporting her through this and for saving her life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hamahannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome.

I am so glad to hear she is warming up to you sitting next to you and following you around. Would you say she is confident or do you think she is a little co-dependent still?

Play will help build her confidence and her "ownership" of the territory. And that should help with the problem if that is the cause. Remember after play to feed either treats or a meal.

The fact her paws are different could suggest that the litter is an issue and that she needs something different (type of litter) for her paws. I would ask the vet if he thinks her paws might be the source of the problem and what he may suggest. Susan brings up a great suggestion and advice on the type of litter (soft and unscented) to try supported by the fact she did use the puppy pad inside the litter box. Personally I would continue to have a litter box or two with puppy pads inside them while you try new soft unscented litter in other boxes.

When she goes outside of the litter box are there any common locations? By doors, windows, etc? Or does it seem random?

Don't worry, we will figure this out and resolve it. Thank you so much for supporting her through this and for saving her life.
I feel like she is being more confident but I'm sure it'll be good to continue to try and boost her confidence anyway.

I will check in with the vet soon and I'll ask him if he recommends anything specific.

Usually if she goes outside of the box she will go right next to it. When I first adopted her she would go on my rug but after she spent some time in the bathroom she figured out she should go next to the litter box or in it (with the puppy pad). So I feel like she knows she is supposed to use it but she doesn't like the litter. Hopefully the vet recommends something or she will take to the paper litter.
Thank you so much for the advice everyone. It's a little stressful but I'm hoping it'll be something we can fix soon! I will make sure to update with any progress.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fill the litter box with dirt/soil and gradually replace with litter.
I never toilet trained my cat as as soon as I put soil in there she went in there and "went" and has never "gone" anywhere else.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is stressful but we will get through this. I am pretty sure it is the litter. The fact she goes next to the litter box really suggests that. I am guessing the litter is "funny" or rough on her feet or she doesn't like the scent.

It sounds like you have done a great job building her trust, sense of security and confidence. If it was territorial she would be going near doors and windows typically. Something we need to watch but my sense is that this is not the cause.

I think we are on the path to resolving this. Let's hope you find a softer unscented litter or paper litter. I have a feeling it will solve the problem. If not, we will continue to find a solution as it may be a medical issue we missed (some kind of pain) or behavioral (though it doesn't sound like this).

Thank you so much for caring about her, we will fix this.