Rescue cat possibly pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doesn't seem to bothered and is going toilet OK but now I'm worried. Do you think she needs to see a vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure what I’m looking at. Is she unspayed and pregnant? Is she swollen back there?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may need her glands expressed. I know they can get blocked and pregnancy can exacerbate it. I would get the bumps looked at by a vet to be sure, as I’ve not seen it look like that before. Do let us know the result.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will give the vets a call tomorrow and see what they think, I need to get her checked over anyways but not even sure if they are doing routine appointments yet. Fingers crossed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just her labia. It's natural to get a bit swollen from pregnancy hormones. The spots are only dark because of her coloring, the way a pointed male's testicles are dark, and female tabbies often have the dark spots which can trick you into thinking they're male!

Last edited:

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's just her labia. It's natural to get a bit swollen from pregnancy hormones. The spots are only dark because of her coloring, the way a pointed male's testicles are dark, and female tabbies aften have the dark spots which can trick you into thinking they're male!
Feel slightly embarrassed haha 🙈🙈🙈 She is certainly more swollen than usual, I did speak to my vet and he said the fact she was her usual self and not displaying symptoms of blocked anal glands there was no need to bring her in and just keep an eye on her.

I did her routine flea treatment yesterday aswell and that stressed her out very much so, its only the Advantage spot on treatment but she absolutely freaks out everytime, I felt awful afterwards with her being pregnant and she ignored me pretty much all day!! My male cat doesn't even blink an eye lid, if only it was that easy with all cats.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
I agree with the above, we need a bit more info. 🙂
I'm a bit worried. It could be nothing, but it could also be anal sac disease.
Does your cat experience any pain? Does she often lick or bite the area?
I think seeing a vet would be a good idea, just in case.

Anal sac Disease
Anal sac problems

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Roughly 2 weeks left now.
I've so far brought kmr, syringes & bottles. Digital scales, fleece bankets, puppy pads, sterile scissors & velco collars. And a play pen.
Anything else I need?
She has not began nesting yet, I did put one box out for her and lined it with soft blankets however she wasn't interested but my male cat has started sleeping in it instead.
I've got another two boxes for her which I was going to put in various places to give her a few choices to birth however I'm reluctant to put them out yet because of our boy, would she still nest in them if they smell of him?
I plan to have him outside whilst she births and then give her some privacy afterwards.
20200701_191803.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good, but no collars on mom or kittens anytime soon. Kittens can get hung up and strangle and they just get in the way in general when they are small. :)

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh My, I've just felt movement for the first time! 😊
I rested my hand gently on her tummy whilst she was sleeping and I could feel a little baby moving about.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Should I be worried about calcium levels?
I've tried her with Kmr, goats milk, goats yogurt and cheese. She literally refuses to try anything new, just smells it and walks off.
I'm crushing egg shell into her wet food and giving her a good quality kitten food. Can't think of anything else I can do.
She has about 1 week left, clearly looking pregnant but I don't think its a big litter looking at the size of her maybe 2-3 kittens.
I'm hoping given the situation that its a nice manageable size with her being a first time mama.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried her with Kmr, goats milk, goats yogurt and cheese. She literally refuses to try anything new, just smells it and walks off.
I'm crushing egg shell into her wet food and giving her a good quality kitten food. Can't think of anything else I can do.
She has about 1 week left, clearly looking pregnant but I don't think its a big litter looking at the size of her maybe 2-3 kittens.
I'm hoping given the situation that its a nice manageable size with her being a first time mama.
I wouldn't worry too much. ;)
Calcium is good and pregnant cats need it, especially later on in their pregnancy but I wouldn't overdo it.
When my cat is pregnant I just make sure to feed her highly nutritional foods, and make sure they provide a nice amount of protein and calcium. I would normally feed her kitten food - it provides a lot of nutrients and protein, and it also provides a lot of energy. You can also feed her special pregnancy feed but kitten food will also so just fine.
Pregnant cats need to eat regularly and quite a lot (like kittens) so I'm not sure why your cat isn't eating well.
What do you feed her?

Also - I see you have brought kmr and scissors - That's just in case if your cat doesn't produce milk or if something goes wrong during labour, right? (Its always good to be prepared) 🙂

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is getting good calcium from the egg shells. :)

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I forgot to mention:
I think she's getting enough calcium from the eggshells (as Sarthur2 Sarthur2 mentioned) but just so you know/in case you decide something else - there is special gel that can help.
Now, I've never tried this myself but I've read up on its benefits so I doubt it will do any harm.
Calcium gel for pregnancy and labour

Anyways - I'm not really recommending this much or anything, but its just so you know that its there 🙂

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much. ;)
Calcium is good and pregnant cats need it, especially later on in their pregnancy but I wouldn't overdo it.
When my cat is pregnant I just make sure to feed her highly nutritional foods, and make sure they provide a nice amount of protein and calcium. I would normally feed her kitten food - it provides a lot of nutrients and protein, and it also provides a lot of energy. You can also feed her special pregnancy feed but kitten food will also so just fine.
Pregnant cats need to eat regularly and quite a lot (like kittens) so I'm not sure why your cat isn't eating well.
What do you feed her?

Also - I see you have brought kmr and scissors - That's just in case if your cat doesn't produce milk or if something goes wrong during labour, right? (Its always good to be prepared) 🙂
Yes I've got absolutely everything I can think of incase of an emergency, I've got my Vets out of hours phone number too.

Yes purchased the scissors incase I have to cut the umbilical cord if mama doesn't chew it off, i know not to cut if the placenta if it is still inside but can someone please let me know how far I need to cut? Do I need a mini clap? If so can you attach a link so I know what to buy please.

I've also got my pet heat pads today to keep kittens warm. She still isn't looking at nesting yet so I'm still to set boxes up but reluctant because my male cat keeps getting cosy in them.

She is eating well and very often but like I say she is very fussy to try new things, I've never known a cat who didn't like cheese before or milk for that matter. I'm hoping she will give it ago once the kittens are here.

She is still managing to fit on her favourite spot for a nap haha.
20200701_162822.jpg

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is getting good calcium from the egg shells. :)
Thankyou for the egg shell tip, I'd have never have thought of this so at least she is getting something 😊

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have dental floss handy if you need to cut a cord. You tie it about an inch away from the kitten’s belly and then cut the side that leads to the placenta. :)

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I've got absolutely everything I can think of incase of an emergency, I've got my Vets out of hours phone number too.

Yes purchased the scissors incase I have to cut the umbilical cord if mama doesn't chew it off, i know not to cut if the placenta if it is still inside but can someone please let me know how far I need to cut? Do I need a mini clap? If so can you attach a link so I know what to buy please.

I've also got my pet heat pads today to keep kittens warm. She still isn't looking at nesting yet so I'm still to set boxes up but reluctant because my male cat keeps getting cosy in them.

She is eating well and very often but like I say she is very fussy to try new things, I've never known a cat who didn't like cheese before or milk for that matter. I'm hoping she will give it ago once the kittens are here.

She is still managing to fit on her favourite spot for a nap haha.
View attachment 341988
Hi.
About cutting the cord:
Do not cut the cord until the placenta has been delivered, but don't pull on the placenta to speed up the delivery.
Make sure to cut the cord when it is limp, and when the placenta isn't warm anymore.
Then I think that you should tie the cord off in 2 places around an inch (2.5cm) from the kittens body and then cut it using the sterile scissors in between, the rest should fall off in a while.

Hopefully you won't have to do this - she'll most likely know what to do and eat the afterbirth and all the other stuff like that.

She is so beautiful, it will be interesting to see what the kittens turn out like! 🙂

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I came across this site, your help and advise is fantastic 😊
It will be interesting to see what colours the kittens are, she was from a home with a brown male Bengal so im assuming that is daddy has she was an indoor cat but you never know.
She has been acting alittle strange the last couple of days, skittish and jumping for no apparent reason. Could this be the kittens moving and kicking inside, to be causing her to behave strangely?

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I came across this site, your help and advise is fantastic 😊
It will be interesting to see what colours the kittens are, she was from a home with a brown male Bengal so im assuming that is daddy has she was an indoor cat but you never know.
She has been acting alittle strange the last couple of days, skittish and jumping for no apparent reason. Could this be the kittens moving and kicking inside, to be causing her to behave strangely?
Hi.
I'm glad we could help. 🙂
Update us on how she gets on and what the kittens are like!
I would say its her motherly instincts kicking in - she will be nesting soon and will also be aware of any strange noises/suspicious things. If there is no reason at all, then I'm not really sure what it is...perhaps keep an eye on her and see if she is experiencing any pain or discomfort.