[Rescue Cat] I am moving overseas. Take kitty or leave kitty with her pack?

CatSplitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have three cats and one dog that my brother had left us before his passing last year.
It’s been a really difficult year for our family and I have finally come to my senses and decided to cut ties and move out.
I am moving oversaeas this year and I am seriously considering taking our youngest cat (ONE) with me.
We have three cats: ONE(~2.5-3 y.o), TWO(5 y.o), THREE(6 y.o), and a dog that might as well be a cat. DOG is 4 y.o.

DOG and ONE are playmates. ONE and TWO are playmates. They will often annoy THREE playing catch and whatnot. All of our animals are very much a pack.
ONE has been with us for ~three years.
Like all of our cats, she is a rescue. Arrived malnourished, her body covered in parasites, just heartbreaking.

While the other cats are more my mother’s cats than mine, ONE has always preferred me over my mother. Like me, she is a total night creature. I am the one feeding her, the one spending time with her. She will come to me for hugs and ignore my mother. Don’t get me wrong, the cat to likes my mother but not as much as she does me and my husband.
At this point, I should probably mention my mother is a classical real-life example of a textbook narcissist and she dislikes ONE for not giving her enough attention. The attention “she thinks she deserves”. She can be very vocal about it. So much so that she will often ignore ONE, be mean to her, and raise her voice when ONE starts meowing. Now, unlike our other cats, ONE is really loud and meow-y and my mother can’t stand her loud ways. She absolutely can’t stand ONE spending time with me either and will treat the cat (and us) like air when me and my husband visit my parent’s lounge. You get the picture…

My dilemma is - do I take ONE with me or leave her with my parents?
I am seriously concerned. Our cats are “a pack” and I would hate having to break them up. On the other hand, my mother is only nice to her when she’s given COMPLETE and UNCONDITIONAL attention but maybe that would change if I disappeared and left her behind? Out of sight, out of mind, right?
It is my fault too. I shouldn’t have approached the cat but my mother was like “here, take her, she’s meowing so much I can’t stand it. Annoying! I can’t sleep because of her.”. I invited the cat over to my side of the house once, and then again, and again, and again... and, here we are.
I haven’t told my mother about us moving out yet and I won’t until we’re ready to leave; she wouldn’t approve. I’m working for her, so yeah, nope. Not gonna happen.
The cat is registered in my name, so it is very much “my cat”. I know my mother won’t take it well, us moving out, AND the cat coming with us… but I don’t care. We’ve had enough.
IF we chose to take ONE with us, she wouldn’t be alone. I would deffy get her a playmate.

Anyways, I want our cat to be happy. She's suffered enough.
I am not sure what to do. Both options seems like a shitty deal for the cat.
Should we take ONE or leave her with my mother in the hopes that ONE will shift her loyalty and attention towards my mother? As much as it breaks my heart, I am leaning towards leaving her behind. I don’t want to traumatize her by taking her away from her playmates.

My husbands is in favor of taking her with us.

Suggestions, comments, anything that can help us decide would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Lilly

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I am very sorry for the loss of your brother.

If you were to ask me, I think you should bring the cat. Unless you are also sure that the dog will be very well cared for, I also suggest you bring the dog with you in honor of your brother.

I also hope and pray that one day your situation with your family is resolved. I have no right to say anything else as I do not really know what's going on, but family is family. We get to live once. Even when you decide to move out, it will always be best for everyone to patch any misunderstandings and avoid any regrets in the end.

I wish you the best in life. :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatSplitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Maria,

An interesting idea! I never considered taking DOG with us. Losing one playmate sound better than losing two. I will need to discuss this with hubby over breakfast!

Thank you for your good wishes, Maria.:hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob:
I am afraid our relationship is beyond repair. My mother's love is conditional (literally!) and I am pregnant now. I am not willing to sacrifice my baby's character development OR health. I don't want my baby to grow up like I did. We don't plan on cutting my mom out but rather minimize contact.... though cutting her off completely isn't off the table.

If anyone going through a similar exp. happens to come across this thread in the future: Your first step should be to identify the type of narc you are dealing with. If your parent is an abusive narc, don't sit around and wait for change. Narcissism is a disorder. No abuse is worth your health. Seek support, call someone, approach a friend, speak to a psychologist. Get help.
Sometimes, not always, cutting ties/distancing yourself from your narc parent is the only way to really change your life for the better. Don't let anyone tell you family first. Family first has broken people, it has killed people. Your mental health matters.
Reddit has an excellent resource/help/guide page on how to deal with a narc parent - please, check it out: helpfullinks - raisedbynarcissists

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be worried about you leaving the cat and your mom still being resentful and mistreating her, so I agree with your husband. Taking the dog as well might be a good idea.

Congrats on your pregnancy! I just had my first almost 3 months ago. It'll be an adjustment for any pets you take with you, but it's worked out here (we moved from our apartment to a house when I was 7 weeks pregnant, so our kitties got a new living situation and baby in a year as well and have managed to adjust).

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you taking ONE for ONE's sake or because you are angry and disappointed in your mother? (Speaking as someone who has been through similar.) Meditate on that and hear the true answer in your heart. Ask ONE what to do as well. Read about moving abroad with pets. It adds expense, complications, and difficulty. You may be better off getting yourselves and the baby establishedd before adding new complexities.

Ultimately, do what feels right. I like everyone's suggestions in this thread. You'll know what to do.