Rescue and shelter difficulties in the current situation

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. This is an unintended consequence of the Corona virus issue, with particularly bad timing considering that kitten season has begun.

Decreased adoption traffic and increased owner surrenders are really stretching resources thin.

If you have any extra supplies, your local TNR group, shelter or rescue would be extremely appreciative.

Give them a call and find out what they're most in need of, or if they have preferences/requirements, or if they'd be ok if you disinfect the items at their front door or something like that ;

Edit update to reflect this;
they're not taking any physical items because they don't have enough staff to disinfect items that come in. They're asking for monetary donations only.

Everything from old towels, blankets, clothes washing detergent, glass or metal dishes, dry or canned food in any amount, litter, litter boxes, paper towels, toilet paper and anything staff members might need during this time including bedding for kittens and small pets, feed for chickens, and cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls.

Any donation of any size helps.

Or, perhaps you can open your doors and help with fostering, which would be an enormous help.

Home — GreaterGood.org

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Great reminder! Do check first whether they'll take donations of items. One of our local rescues says they're not taking any physical items because they don't have enough staff to disinfect items that come in. They're asking for monetary donations only. :ohwell:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excellent thread! I called my vet herself today & one of her techs was taken ill w/ high fever yesterday. Unknown if they'll even stay open this wk. I postponed my feral & part 2 of his neuter finish.

Anyway, unrelated to shelters but yes, they are very thin & in NEED! I will try to see if I can help someway but this is a real burden on rescues & shelters, & we all need try to band together ideas & effort to help. TY for starting this thread! :) ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent thread!

I've been having issues finding packs of unscented baby wipes for my sick kitty.
PetSmart carries unscented hypoallergenic wipes under the brand name GNC Pets. I use them to do 'booty duty' on Feeby. For me it is around $9 for 100 wipes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From Jcatbird Jcatbird ;
Our local news just had a piece about one of the animal shelters that a few of my rescues went to for adoption. Anyone remember Prime Snuggles? The 102nd of the kitties of Chez Catbird. She found her forever home at the aforementioned shelter. I was very , very grateful to that shelter. They are no kill and are still functioning during current events. They are appealing for donations and want people to think about adopting now! They had an excellent point! While people are remaining at home, a pet can be of great comfort. It’s the purrfect time to adopt and spend time getting to know a new friend. Adoptions are being arranged by interviewing over the phone. You can view pets for adoption on websites and a one on one meeting in the shelter parking area can be set up.

Fostering while people are able to work from home is also a wonderful option.

Visits to shelters are way down. Visits are still allowed at one person in the cat room at a time. Even if all we can do is visit kitties, it helps.

If you decide to participate in any way at your local shelter, check with them as to their needs and current requirements. I can assure you, the needs are great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 ;
Yes, all, shelters, ACCs, rescues and sanctuaries are BEGGING for adoptions and fosters. Some shelters are out of food. Some shelters are CLOSING. Anyone who can open their home and heart to a cat (or more than one cat) is BEGGED to come forward and help to save these precious lives. Donate money, supplies, food -- work online from home, as I do approximately 7 hours a day, every day, advocating for cats in these facilities, on the streets, and in homes that are rehoming them. EVERYONE can do something. If you are reading this, you can help. Get on your socials -- facebook, twitter, or ? -- and look up an ACC or shelter. Then hit "SHARE" on each cat's profile. Build up followers so that more people see and hopefully share for the cats. I have several thousand followers I've built up over the years. It's never been more crucial to get the cats and kittens SEEN. Thank you.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the current situation in Germany, the cat charity, I support, will be unable to hold fund-raising activities in the town this Easter. Normally the tombola, free-range eggs, home-baked dog biscuits, herbs and garden plants provide a substantial profit to go towards veterinary bills. More of the cats turning up in need of our care today are old and very sick.

I, personally, cannot take in any more foster cats simply because 3 sick foster cats with behaviour problems plus my one remaining own-cat are more than enough. (I have housed 10 cats but they were healthy and I knew that good homes could be found for them).

Another problem is that vets have increased their charges - particularly for emergency services. Of course, injured and sick cats turm up at all times, night and day and we often have no choice but to get them to a vet as soon as possible. We will also be limited in future by the number of vets who are willing to neuter and treat feral cats (and I don*t mean treat them without payment!)

So please support your local cat shelter or cat charity! They need more people to foster strays and unwanted kittens and, of course, they do need lots of money to pay for veterinary expenses. :help: Times are very hard.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already care for a great many rescues but today I tracked down supplies for the animals at our local shelter. The shelter ,as well as the local cat cafe ,are struggling but still allowing adoptions to take place. Meetings with the animals can be arranged privately. Our county shelter had one adoption yesterday! Yes! Many more needed. The Cat cafe is at risk of closing permanently and returning the cats there to a shelter if they don’t get support. They pay rent, utilities etc. as a small business and must, must get help. I got notice of this today and it breaks my heart. They have gotten large numbers of older kitties into homes since they opened about a year and a half or two years ago. They keep cats they take in for life if they are not adopted so , not only may the business fail, at least 20 cats lose their home. I had more than one of my rescues taken in until they found homes. We need places like this! Like many shelters, they are trying to save their kitties. Serious adopters will be allowed to meet with someone to save a kitty. If you can save or foster even one, this is a good time. The cafe needs any and all supplies. You can even support places like the cafe by purchasing cat collectibles from them. Your holiday gifts for later in the year can double as support for saving kitties!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I already care for a great many rescues but today I tracked down supplies for the animals at our local shelter. The shelter ,as well as the local cat cafe ,are struggling but still allowing adoptions to take place. Meetings with the animals can be arranged privately. Our county shelter had one adoption yesterday! Yes! Many more needed. The Cat cafe is at risk of closing permanently and returning the cats there to a shelter if they don’t get support. They pay rent, utilities etc. as a small business and must, must get help. I got notice of this today and it breaks my heart. They have gotten large numbers of older kitties into homes since they opened about a year and a half or two years ago. They keep cats they take in for life if they are not adopted so , not only may the business fail, at least 20 cats lose their home. I had more than one of my rescues taken in until they found homes. We need places like this! Like many shelters, they are trying to save their kitties. Serious adopters will be allowed to meet with someone to save a kitty. If you can save or foster even one, this is a good time. The cafe needs any and all supplies. You can even support places like the cafe by purchasing cat collectibles from them. Your holiday gifts for later in the year can double as support for saving kitties!
Many thanks for this great post. So true. And the really bad part is, this is all being caused and exacerbated daily by people's PANIC and HYSTERIA, not by any danger from the animals (there is NONE!) or from looking online and adopting via new procedures as you state, or fostering. PLEASE, TCS MEMBERS, I'M BEGGING YOU TO DO ONE OR THE OTHER OR BOTH if you are at all able and willing. Many of us cannot, but those who can, can make all the difference and in lieu of fostering or adopting, donating money/food/litter/beds/blankets/cleaning supplies are other VERY appreciated ways to help.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because of the current situation in Germany, the cat charity, I support, will be unable to hold fund-raising activities in the town this Easter. Normally the tombola, free-range eggs, home-baked dog biscuits, herbs and garden plants provide a substantial profit to go towards veterinary bills. More of the cats turning up in need of our care today are old and very sick.

I, personally, cannot take in any more foster cats simply because 3 sick foster cats with behaviour problems plus my one remaining own-cat are more than enough. (I have housed 10 cats but they were healthy and I knew that good homes could be found for them).

Another problem is that vets have increased their charges - particularly for emergency services. Of course, injured and sick cats turm up at all times, night and day and we often have no choice but to get them to a vet as soon as possible. We will also be limited in future by the number of vets who are willing to neuter and treat feral cats (and I don*t mean treat them without payment!)

So please support your local cat shelter or cat charity! They need more people to foster strays and unwanted kittens and, of course, they do need lots of money to pay for veterinary expenses. :help: Times are very hard.
Much love and gratitude to you for doing what you are already doing/able to do. You are a hero!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the cat cafe? What if as many of us as we can get to; donate $20? With all the people on this site, that could add up!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the cat cafe? What if as many of us as we can get to; donate $20? With all the people on this site, that could add up!
A cat cafe is a place that serves beverages and some foods, locally mostly dessert type foods and helps to get kitties adopted. They have rooms where the kitties can live and play while the cafe patrons go in to play and visit with them. Patrons that fall in love with a kitty can adopt them. If a kitty does not find a family to take them home, they are meant to stay in the cat cafe for life so they will never be lonely for human contact , confined to a cage in a shelter or at risk of euthanasia. It’s a great place for kitties and humans. One extra plus is that humans who cannot adopt because of rules in apartment complexes, family members with allergies or any other reason, can still enjoy the company of kitties and the kitties have playlets humans. The rooms are furnished with homelike furniture and the kitties have lots of toys. They are well fed and receive proper vet care. The cafe depends on sales to keep the cats supplied and pay rent, utilities, etc. They hold special events and sell tickets to boost income. Many also sell cute cat related items to help. (Excellent gift ideas) I love their event ideas. Things like “Yoga with the Kitties” day. They have increased adoptions here and especially adoptions of older or surrendered pets who might struggle more in a shelter environment. Losing places like this would be tragic. They are closed for the food services but will still arrange for adoptions like many shelters. A one person in at a time kind of thing. Human to kitty contact only as well as sending video to potential adopting humans.

Our county shelter has stopped taking kitties in. They are NOT a no kill shelter but are keeping employees on hand to care for the animals there now. They are still allowing adoptions and will work to make it easier for anyone wishing to save a life. They are still accepting supply donations. I have shipped large bags of dry food and had sent wet food just before all this hit. The wet food is reserved for kittens or sick cats. I will
Post back when Chewy delivers. They did warn me it could be awhile. Soon I hope!

I love your proposal that everyone pitch in whatever they can and wherever they can. There are two cat cafes in the city near me and another just across the state line. I know there are others in other states. Nearby animal control is something else altogether. Waiting to find out about things there. If you can adopt from any animal control, or anywhere, now is a very good time. If you can prevent any pet from being turned in to animal control right now, please step up and do so.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And don't forget all of the fosterers, many of whom now have no paychecks coming in. If you know one of them and can do it, HELP THEM! I just sent a bit to a local lady who has THREE pregnant cats in her home. FIND SOMEONE LOCALLY to help, if you can! We all need to do what we can, and our communities are filled with cats in need of assistance, from shelters to foster homes.