Request suggestions for charitable giving

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me know if that made a difference Tim.

They have added a lot of stuff that moves on their site including a small video....
maybe that is the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lei - it works fine with IE. It may very well be that slide-show. Do you still want me to email them?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would appreciate it if you would Tim, just to let them know that their site does not work with Firefox.

I'm glad that your computer did not crash a 2nd time.
I would have felt really bad.

All of the causes in this thread look as though they are deserving of help...
there are so many needs out there.
I hope that everyone gives at least a little.
We can make a difference.

Have a wonderful holiday...
from my kitties to yours Tim.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest donating to St. Jude, The Ronald Mc Donald House, or the Target House -all 3 of those organizations help terminally ill children and their families. / When my cousin lost her baby after only a few minutes following her birth- we took out a beautiful memorial type fund in her name at St. Jude - we knew that although our little angel wasn't here long- she would still make an incredable impact on this world- and she is doing so! We have had a lot of people donate to the memorial fund in her name.- all of the proceeds go directly to children with cancer/etc and they also help fund cancer research and other needed programs. It's absolutely amazing how many people they help

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are still looking for a charitible contribution, this is just one of many worthy options.

This is close to my heart because I came in contact with a little boy named Kyle who has leukemia this year when his puppy was stolen from the garage of our medical center. We got the puppy back from the dognappers after they tried to "sell" the puppy back to his mom. (No HIPPA violation...as mom released all of this info to the press,and it is on their family website link is below). My Department worked very hard to get the little dog named "Chemo" back to Kyle, and the look on that little boy's face was very rewarding. I will try and post a pic later from work if anyone would like to see it.

His family is going through a lot as Kyle has been sick for several years and has had had several relapses, they have since left San Francisco for Minnesota for a cord blood transplant and he is in remission but will have to stay there for a while until all of the tests are complete. The mom has her hands full, because his older brother was recently diagnosed with type one diabetes, and the family also has twin toddlers.

http://kylessmile.org/index.html

In addition, my other personal charities this year are;

Friends of the Redwood Empire http://www.faireonline.org/

Deaf Counselling And Referral Agency http://www.dcara.org/

Juvenile Diabetes Assochttp://www.jdrf.org/

Lindsay Wildlife Museum http://www.wildlife-museum.org/

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I’m extremely grateful to all persons on several boards who made suggestions. I’m sorry that I couldn’t choose them all. Giving is mostly an affair of the heart, and first I had to choose organizations that matched what’s in my heart to accomplish with my giving. Also I have certain financial stewardship criteria that I want an organization to meet. And there were some already on my list. So if your suggestion didn’t make my list it’s probably for one of those reasons. If you would like to know the specifics, please send me a pm.

These organizations were chosen for one-time end-of-year gifts:

Alley Cat Allies
Blood Water Mission
In Memory of Magic
Noah’s Ark
World Vision

I’m still waiting for further information from Kiva and from the Coalition for Animal Justice. I’m really interested in Kiva, but there’s no information on sending a cash donation on their website, and no response to my email. Perhaps I’ll consider becoming a lender next year.

These organizations are being considered for inclusion on my regular giving list for next 2007:

Blood Water Mission
In Memory of Magic
Kiva
World Vision

Again, thank you all for your input into this process. It’s so good to know that so many people want to give of their resources for needs and causes deserving of their support.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like you chose your charities well. I go with my heart mostly but the financial stewardship thing has been on my mind lately especially in regards to the percentage of donations that go to the actual charity vs. the amount spent on other costs.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lakeriedog - I use mostly Charity Navigator and the organization's own Form 990, since Guidestar doesn't give out much info to free-service subscribers. Are there any other sources you use for financial stewardship info? Thanks.....

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so wonderful of you!

The charities I always give to from October to January are:

Juv Diabetes Research Foundation (I am on the board for our company event)
United Way (I am on the board for our company event)
Make a Wish Foundation
Toys for Tots
Alliance for Animals (our local Phila chapter)

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Lakeriedog - I use mostly Charity Navigator and the organization's own Form 990, since Guidestar doesn't give out much info to free-service subscribers. Are there any other sources you use for financial stewardship info? Thanks.....
The Better Business Bureau and the California Attorney General's Office has some good info on the larger organized charities, and I ask for information in print if in doubt. I considered giving to an animal rescue group that recently opened up a storefront operation in the town where I live, but they didn't reply to my written request for information. They could be doing some good work, but I just didn't feel comfortable giving if they wouldn't even reply to my request.

Since I am just a blue collar working stiff, and spend my money just as fast as I make it...
I make my larger donations through an organized charitable giving campaign we have at work. It's easier for me to just set an amount for the year and have it deducted from my wages. They give us a four page list of charities, plus you can write in a specific charity as long as it is a non-profit organization.

http://www.give.org/
http://ag.ca.gov/charities/