Reputable Ocicat Breeders?

nightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgive me if this is in the wrong section, but I couldn't seem much other place to post it.

I have been looking at Ocicats for a while now and am very interesting in purchasing a kitten. But when doing my homework for looking for a reputable breeder I have no found many resources on recommendations.

I have found a few breeders from this site http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/oci.html
I live in the South East of the United States, so I would prefer a breeder close to me as I don't see shipping animals in cargo holds of planes very ethical.

I would love to hear every ones thoughts on good Ocicat breeders, and ones I should stay away from.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 2 at the bottom of the list are good

Really, shipping cats is not an issue at all so please don't let that stop you choosing a breeder.

It would not be proper for anyone to list here breeders you might want to stay away from, there is another Oci owner who posts here and is in the US who I'm sure can PM you some catteries to look at.

Good luck, there's no cat like an Ocicat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me know privately how you do in contacting and what you end up with. Agree - once you get an Ocicat, you won't stop at one. The kitten we hope to be getting next month is our 3rd Ocicat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightmare

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the help so far. The breed looks amazing. I hope to have an Ocicat kitten within a few months

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are hoping our kitten is with us by mid May - he's looking good and I'm sure we will be pleased with him. If he isn't "the one" (since we are looking for a show kitten), then I don't know how long I'll be waiting again. The next available kittens are not that great looking according to the breeder.

We both are picky

lenny & squiggy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Let me know privately how you do in contacting and what you end up with. Agree - once you get an Ocicat, you won't stop at one. The kitten we hope to be getting next month is our 3rd Ocicat
I so agree Golden Kitty! My boys are unlike any kitty I have rescued or rehabbed. I am so amazed at the special bond they share. Lenny was neutered this week and I was expecting a riff with him coming home. He came out of the carrier, rubbed his favorite spots, walked over to his brother, grabbed him by the neck and gave him his bath!! Even after the long day, he is still looking after his brother. Sweet boys!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was originally looking at purebred for a few months, but changed my mind when I met my shelter munchkins. From my limited experience though, I would highly recommend going local.

You will want to meet the parents, see the conditions of where it will be kept and partially raised, and while you may decide on a deposit you still want to look at the kitten(s) first.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may not be able to meet the parents of your kitten, as the sire may not even belong to the breeder!

Also, please do not be offended if a breeder does not allow you into their home unless you first make a serious commitment to a cat or kitten. I personally do not allow people into my home unless they have placed a deposit and all my kittens have been vaccinated. However, I am always happy to meet someone at a cat show. I have limited free time (sometimes I go weeks without a totally free day!) and entertaining kitten visitors takes a lot out of my family. I am proud of the way I raise and socialize my cats, but I have to keep them safe. I also only allow serious people in my home, as I live in a major metro area and at the end of the day, I have to be safe, too! I don't know if a prospective buyer is just phishing for information or actually serious until we reach the contract stage. We breeders could tell tales that make your hair curl more than a Rex!

Many hobby breeders breed for show, and so they have a limited number of pet kittens available within any given time period. They can afford to be selective in their pet buyers, and they do not treat their cats and kittens as commodity purchases. I run like the wind from people who act like I am Kittens-R-Us!

You live in an area where there are many highly reputable Ocicat breeders and exhibitors, and the Ocicats International cat show is held every summer in South Carolina. You should easily be able to meet a reputable breeder at a show and they would be happy to allow you to meet the cats that they are showing. These show cats represent their breeding program, and may even be the future parent of your kitten. Be prepared to wait, because you will have your kitten for many years to come as a cat. No true price can be put on a healthy, beautiful, well-bred kitty and love of your life!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since there are not a lot of Oci breeders, its not hard to know who are the good/bad breeders and who is most recommended. I've never visited any of the breeders (other then Charlie's cause we drove down there to pick him up). But I've met a few in person at shows and the small circle is trusted breeders.

I have about 4-5 trusted Oci breeders that I can recommend.