Replacing Laptop Fan

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone replaced the cooling fan in their laptop? My laptop is still under warranty, Gateway M-6848, but I don't want to send it in for service because it will take 7-10 days. I need it for work.

Looking on the net, it does not look like it would be that hard to replace, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has done it. The laptop makes a grinding noise and then will take a bit to stop. It just seems loud at times. I have already used compressed air to clean the fan, which helped some, it got rid of the cat hair

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Mommy

Has anyone replaced the cooling fan in their laptop? My laptop is still under warranty, Gateway M-6848, but I don't want to send it in for service because it will take 7-10 days. I need it for work.

Looking on the net, it does not look like it would be that hard to replace, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has done it. The laptop makes a grinding noise and then will take a bit to stop. It just seems loud at times. I have already used compressed air to clean the fan, which helped some, it got rid of the cat hair

I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.
I have replaced ones in laptops before, and it's not what I'd consider difficult...What are your questions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I guess my question is: is it difficult to replace on laptops. I'm assuming that it is a matter of removing some screws and plugging in the new fan. Are most fans in laptops the same? I have tried finding a fan, but are seeing none for my model. So I'm hoping most will work for it?

Thanks

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your computer is under warranty and you open it up and service it yourself, you void the warranty.

I suggest contacting Gateway and letting them deal with it so that you don't void the rest of your warranty.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is true that you'll void any warranty, so it depends on how much you want to save time or remain under warranty. For me, it wouldn't be an issue as I fix and usually build any computers I work on/with...but if you don't do that...a warranty is a handy thing to have just in case.

If you still want to replace your fan, I can send you step-by-step information...just pm me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

It is true that you'll void any warranty, so it depends on how much you want to save time or remain under warranty. For me, it wouldn't be an issue as I fix and usually build any computers I work on/with...but if you don't do that...a warranty is a handy thing to have just in case.

If you still want to replace your fan, I can send you step-by-step information...just pm me.
Thank you for the help. I did end up sending it back in for repair since it was under warranty. I sent it in a few days ago and they are already sending it back fixed. They replaced the fan and heat sink. So I should have it by Friday. So hopefully it is quiet (and fixed). The noises were loud!

I was happy with the fix and turn around time. I thought it was going to take longer.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a problem with my HP all in one printer about 5 months into the warranty. A plastic piece broke off inside the printer while I was changing the cartridge. HP arranged for UPS to pick up the printer and I had it back in less than 5 business days. Because of that I will buy HP again because I know they have excellent customer service where warranty is concerned.