Removing Teeth

Tiggyand mischief

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
My local vet wants to remove all of my cat's teeth. He is only 8 years old and I am afraid to go through with this. One canine tooth has fallen out. Can someone please guvecme some advice?
TIA

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, all of them? I would seek a second opinion. Why does he want to remove all of them?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming the diagnosis is stomatitis? Yeah, usually full-mouth extraction is the recommended treatment. Is he on steroids now? I'd recommend having the extractions done as soon as you can, because the longer he's on steroids the less likely it will be successful.

It's not as hard on them as you might think. I have one cat who had a full-mouth extraction (unfortunately, it didn't cure his stomatitis so he's still on steroids). He seemed to be in a lot of pain for about 3 days, but after that seemed to eat normally. The vet gave 3 days of painkillers but it was hard to get them into him so I don't know how much he benefited. It wasn't terrible, all things considered. He even eats some dry food now (mostly canned though).

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a affectionate & missed tuxido tom this happened to. Within three or four days after having his teeth pulled he was eating the dry food I left out for the other cats. I wish I had a video of how he did it. He would reach down, grab a mouth full of kibble, raise his head to shoulder level, releases the kibble in a small cloud. Then he would lunge forward about three inches, trap and swallow the kibble. One of the more unusual feline antics I have ever seen.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A second opinion is a good idea if it puts your mind at ease.

If all the teeth should have to come out, your kitty should do just fine eating, drinking and playing with a good life. I had one cat that had some of his teeth pulled due to stomatitis and he was happier for it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am curious what the reason was for it? Cats do recover just fine but by all means get a second opinion if the reason doesn't seem right.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our soon-to-be 6-year-old cat had FORLs and all but his front teeth were extracted in November 2016. Recovery was quick, and he has no trouble at all eating. I've seen a number of shelter cats with full-mouth extractions due to stomatitis. They adapt very well, and many blossom due to the relief from pain.