Removing solo toys during playtime?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old kitten loves her track ball toy. Sometimes when she and I are playing, she'll stop and begin playing with the track toy. No complaints there; I like it when she abruptly shifts from one game to another, as long as she's enjoying herself.

But like most toys, sooner or later she's likely to get tired of the track toy. I'm thinking of removing it while I am home with her. I'd rather have it out for her when I am at work, asleep or otherwise unavailable so that she is able to utilize it to entertain herself when she is alone. It seems like a waste for her to play with it when she's got a human there to play with. As I said, I don't want her to tire of it and not want to play with it when she's alone.

Am I being mean?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TBH I don't know track ball type toys are a forever toy no matter what you do? From what I've seen, even once they are a bit sick of it, they will play with it if you get them started / play interactively with it a bit. So with that in mind, I'd probably leave it out.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SG has had her three track and ball toys in different rooms for 9 years. She still plays with them. One is open on top, the other two semi-opened. She will put other balls and toys in the track and push them around, too. She's an only cat if that makes a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll leave it out.

I stuck some jingly balls in it and she went crazy.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some times they play with stuff when you aren't there and ignore it when you are. Going to get jingly balls.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of people rotate toys. Toys get put away after awhile so that new toys can be put out for play and then the new ones get put away and the old ones come back out. Most cats think they're just getting brand new toys every so often :)

• Purraise
Reactions: D_H