Removing Cat Urine from the Carpet

What do you use to clean your carpet when your cat has an accident?

• Natures Miracle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Home recipe

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Nok Out

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Urine Off

• Pet Store brand cleaner

• Rubbing Alcohol

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Anti Icky Poo

• Woolight

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lnicolep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a cat and I tried everything at the store to get the smell out....and spent a ton of money.  Also, my male cat was not neutered yet so his urin is very potent and disgusting.  I finally found this recipe on line and it worked!!!  I am so exited, please don't waste money on the cleaners out there that don't work:

Mix 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water  pour on stain and rub in with fingers so it soaks through to the pad.  Use a wet vac or Bissell carpet cleaner to remove as much vinegar and urine from the carpet area.  Then sprinkle a bunch of baking soda on the site of where the urine was.  Mix together 1/4 cup Hydrogen Peroxide (It should say 3% on the label) with 1 Teaspoon of liquid dish soap (not dishwasher soap).  Pour this mixture on the baking soda to make a paste on the carpet area, use rubber gloves to get the paste covering the carpet in deep.  Put a fan blowing on the area to dry the paste to the carpet.  Once the area is dry, vacuum all of the powder up.  You will need to use a brush and fingers to loosen the paste stuck to the carpet and then vacuum, repeat this process until white paste and powder is gone.  Your carpet will be stain and smell free :)

Enjoy having a non-smelly house again!

ktm3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a fan of using the recipe that you posted (minus the dry vac part...I just let it dry on its own) and following it up with Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer (an enzyme cleaner). I recently purchased Anti-Icky Poo, and I don't like the way that it smells...though I do get sick of the way that Nature's Miracle smells, too...lol. I voted for them all.  :)

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a male cat who was a stray and when I first brought him into the house, he didn't use the litter box right away.  I had some areas that I just could not get the urine smell out.  I did a lot of searching and came up with a product recommended by Jackson Galaxy.  I ordered it from Amazon and it worked really well.  It took 2x, but the smell is gone and so is the stain.  I had used a black light to find all the spots and the room is now free of urine stains/smells.