Removable Cat Proof Fencing For Rental Property?

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1.5 year old cat Pebble has recently started wandering into the neighbours property and I would like to find a way to contain him to our property, both for his safety and to avoid annoying the neighbours.

We rent and have 6ft high wooden fencing all around our rear courtyard. I don't let Pebble out the front of our property and lock him in at night. It's probably too much to ask of a cat to stay on our property but I'd at least like to try! As we rent we obviously cannot alter the property permanently so I'd like to find a cheap and/or DIY way to cat proof the fencing that is temporary and removable.

I'm thinking something like these hooked at intervals along the fence: Whites Outdoor 150mm Black Square Hanging Basket Hook and then somehow fix some netting or wires between the hooks (maybe this: Whites 30cm x 50m x 1.3cm Bird Netting), thus avoiding screwing anything into the fence. Could this work?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi I'm going to bump this and see if there are some folks with knowledge who will weigh in for you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my temporary solution:

20180208 071808
20180208 071801

It's small but mobile and not fixed to anything, thus keeping the landlord happy, and it gives him fresh air and a closer look at the birds!

Unfortunately I just don't have the money to spend hundred to thousands of dollars on a purpose built cat enclosure. Our house isn't really a great design either, we would need an enclosure that would allow us to still be able to access the courtyard through the sliding door (e.g. an enclosure with full size access doors on 2 sides). Access to an enclosure through windows isn't really an option as we have this type of window: Awning Winders | Doric Australia and the only window accessible would be through the bedroom.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is working for you then that is great! You can build your own for less than $200 if you wanted to give him something bigger, there are all kinds of blueprints online you could check out. Just google diy cat elcosure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If I built one it would need to be maneuverable but also accessible through a cat door. I did think about buying a large aviary on wheels and somehow adding a connecting tunnel from the cat door to the cage but I'm not sure how I'd do it without having to learn to weld!

As we are hoping to buy a house this year I think I'll just leave it until then to build/buy an enclosure. Once we have our own place he can have a nice big 3x3m+ enclosure :thumbsup:

He's also not yet FIV vaccinated as I'd intended him to be indoors only. However he's shown more and more that he wants to be outdoors, particularly in the evening. I've booked him in to get the vaccinations but it will take about 3 months to get through them all. Once he's vaccinated I'll reconsider allowing him free access to the courtyard during the day.

oonawingedwolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew someone that used cube shelving like people use to make guinea pig cages to make something like this. It had a tunnel so they could still use their door. I just remembered it because you mentioned needing a tunnel. You secure the pieces together with zip ties. Cost her around $120 I think but she made hers pretty big.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheap battery powered drill. A screw bit for drill. Box of screws.
And clear, plastic, corrugated roofing panels. (like you might see on a greenhouse).
Just screw them horizontal to the top of the fence. Leave about half width sticking up above the fence.
When you leave, simply unscrew them and take them with you.

Cats can't get past that.
In the photo, see the opaque sheets of corrugated plastic placed half way up? He was a kitten and I didn't want him climbing to the top and falling 8ft.
As of now, he's no longer a kitten. And those sheets of plastic have been moved to the top.
Took me 15 minutes to move them to the top.