Remote Control for Humane Trap

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happy ending to an indoor cat who escaped, Despite being rescued as a feral kitten, at 16 months he was still untouchable. It seemed like a hopeless situation. but thanks to a Youtube video about inexpensively building a remote trigger for a humane trap using a car door trigger/key fob, I was about to get him tonight. The creator of the video was great about answering all of my questions about assembly and had a parts list. I'd recommend it to anyone doing TNR. Here is the link to the video.

I'd also purchased an inexpensive outdoor camera so that I could get a sense of when and where he was around. It was a huge comfort to see him and know that he was o.k. as I was attempting to trap him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what a relief it must be! One of our other members in another country built a remote a couple of years back to trap specific cats. This is a great thing! I am going to watch and bookmark this video! Thanks! I hope kitty walks in very soon. You’ll get him! :vibes::goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know what a relief it must be! One of our other members in another country built a remote a couple of years back to trap specific cats. This is a great thing! I am going to watch and bookmark this video! Thanks! I hope kitty walks in very soon. You’ll get him! :vibes::goodluck:
Thank you !

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Praying for a recovery, I know how smart these cats can be when it comes to going into a trap!
I think you may have misunderstood. It worked. I was on my porch with the remote and had the trap on the ground near a spot that I could see and I knew he frequented thanks to the outdoor camera.( about $40 for the camera on Amazon and $20 for the SD card, plus the cost of 8 AA batteries.)

Because there is a parade of cats through our condo complex at sundown I had to use the remote trap to get him and just him.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I would love to buy a remote control trap. I have heard from others who had a very good experience trapping difficult to trap cats. Congrats on trapping this kitty. Very smart of you to implement a camera in your trapping as well. 👍👍👍

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely but be warned that after only one use, I had to take the batteries out and put them back in to get the unit to download pictures and then turn off. Also the nighttime pictures were pretty grainy. I haven't tried the video recording yet.

It was actually EBAY that I ordered it from. It was a "Victure Trail Game Camera with Night Vision Motion Activated 1080P 12MP." It was $49.32 with free shipping. If you find hunting as horrifying as I do you'll have to skip over a lot of that in the description. Oh, and the instructions are poopa loopa. Other than that...............

I got the SD card at Best Buy. SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card. 12.99
Oh, I would love to buy a remote control trap. I have heard from others who had a very good experience trapping difficult to trap cats. Congrats on trapping this kitty. Very smart of you to implement a camera in your trapping as well. 👍👍👍
You can buy remote controlled traps, but they're expensive. That's why I posted the Youtube instructions for a DIY remote trigger. And thanks for your kind words.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely but be warned that after only one use, I had to take the batteries out and put them back in to get the unit to download pictures and then turn off. Also the nighttime pictures were pretty grainy. I haven't tried the video recording yet.

It was actually EBAY that I ordered it from. It was a "Victure Trail Game Camera with Night Vision Motion Activated 1080P 12MP." It was $49.32 with free shipping. If you find hunting as horrifying as I do you'll have to skip over a lot of that in the description. Oh, and the instructions are poopa loopa. Other than that...............

I got the SD card at Best Buy. SanDisk Ultra Plus 32GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card. 12.99

You can buy remote controlled traps, but they're expensive. That's why I posted the Youtube instructions for a DIY remote trigger. And thanks for your kind words.
Thanks for letting me know about the camera and trap. I will look into it.

Just more tools in the toolbox to increase the chances of trapping targeted cats. It is a time saver, no doubt. Thanks once again..🙂

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for letting me know about the camera and trap. I will look into it.

Just more tools in the toolbox to increase the chances of trapping targeted cats. It is a time saver, no doubt. Thanks once again..🙂
You're very welcome. The credit really goes to Karl the inventor. The new remote beats the hell out of sitting 20 feet from the trap with a long string which is what I had been doing. Of course the string always got tangled or caught in the trap at the moment the target kitty walked in.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I looked up where I bought and how much I paid for the remote components. In Sept. 2019 I bought the battery holder for 8.28 on EBAY (free shipping) and the Universal Four Door Car Central Power Door Lock Kit for 19.73 with free shipping. I used a trap I already had already disconnected the step plate on. The only other expense was eight AA batteries.