Remembrance Weekend here in the UK

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. Veterans and active personnel are far braver than I.

In the USA we honor active/retired military on Veteran's Day (November 11).

Government offices and schools are closed.  Most businesses (except stores) are also closed.

And most businesses offer discounts on November 11 to the military.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Didn't realise you commemorate it on the same day. Here we have the festival of Remembrance on the Saturday night, then the march past and laying of wreaths on the Sunday morning, the main one being lead by the Queen at the Cenotaph in London, then in the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th Month we hold 2 minutes silence, but no where closes down, business as usually.

takhana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got back from the ceremony in my local village this morning. My Dad is a Warrant Officer in the RAF and this is the first year I've been able to get down and see him march/do the ceremony which was really nice. 

One of my favourite things to do on Remembrance Sunday is to 'plant' my poppy in the grass in front of our town memorial. 

It might be because I live in a military town but military get discounts in various places all year round (20% in most locally owned restaurants and 50% off in Dominos and a few other big chain restaurants). 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Takhana, you do what I do and "plant " your poppy. Couldn't go to the parade this year as I was working but hubby went for the 1st time in years and he marched in the parade, he was Light Infantry. Where does your Dad work?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father passed in 1995 and he was in the Marines. I miss him so much. I will always remember him and of course the others in the forces too.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont go to any of the parades I do watch them on the TV, My cousin is a serving royal marine commando, and my best friend was killed in afghan when he was 19, 8 years ago and its still hard to remember him!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Today is Veterans' Day in the U.S.. Thank you to all that served, including my: husband, brother, father, uncle, and grandfathers (back to the Revolutionary war).