Relocating Food Bowl

chewie’smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! New member and new mom to Chewie- 3 y/o orange tabby.

Had him for 5 weeks and just finished introducing him to the rest of the house, as my room was his starter room. I want to move the food bowl downstairs dining room from my room upstairs.

Can I just put the food bowl down there and show him where it is? He usually hangs in my room but that is bc he is comfortable and has everything he needs there but I want an easier clean up and more accessible area.

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Does he frequent other areas of the house now? You might set up food/water in your desired location, but keep the food/water set up in your bedroom as well, for now. You can show him the new location, but have his original spot as a back up in case it takes him a while to adjust to the new location. Or, you could gradually move the food/water from your bedroom - a few inches at a time until you get it closer to where you want it to be permanently.

If he doesn't have a water fountain now, you might want to get one and set it where you want his food and water bowls to be and see if that might entice him to go there more to not only drink, but eat?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista's not picky about where you put her food. And if she ever is, I pick it up and place it somewhere else. "Ooooh look! Food!" I'm pretty sure he'll just catch on as long as you show him where his new food spot is a few times. Cats are pretty food motivated. If food doesn't make them learn, they may be unteachable.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat mom. :bouquet: I'm also a cat mom to an orange tabby, my 8-ish year old Ruby girl. :lovecat2:

Since Chewie is an adult, I don't think he'll have a hard time adjusting to his new food dish location. Cats seem to always know where food is. Even when it's not food for them. :catman:

Moving his litter box, if you plan to, might be a bit harder, but then again, he's an adult, so less likely than an kitten to "have to go right this second" and have a accident before he remembers where the new litter box location is.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats would normally hunt for food. It could be fun and rewarding for him if you just moved his food location and didn't tell him. You could make a game of it.
:runningcat:
Less fun if you suddenly moved his litterbox location.
:whiskers: