Relocating a feral cat. So far unsuccessful.

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am moving very soon. I wanted to bring with me a feral cat that I have been caring for. I managed to take them to the vet after trapping and put them indoors before my move. The cat was not eating, not using the litter, and was crying everyday they were inside. I just couldn't bare it and also didn't want them to become sick. I let them "free" and decided that it was perhaps best for them to live an outdoor life. I am heartbroken they are not coming with me. I am still around for a few more days and they just seem happier outdoors. Thankfully now with some vaccines too, but I don't know what their life will be like after my move. Torn but glad they seem like their old selves outside again. They are back to eating normally. I hope they do well out there. Anyone else had a similar experience?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long did this cat spend in your home before you couldn't bare it? Wasn't the vet able to determine a gender? Is the cat spayed/neutered?

The only way to handle this is to trap the cat again, take it to your new home, and bear through the trauma that most outdoor cats go through when being transitioned from outdoor to indoor. It isn't simple or easy or quick. You need to know that if you wanted to take this cat with you, there is no recourse but to confine it inside the house so that it acclimates to a new area - or it will otherwise try to go back 'home'.

It all depends on what you want for this cat's future - and your patience in getting it to be 'your' cat. Here are some TCS starter articles, with many others available.
The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

I am sure other members who have dealt with this directly will come along soon and offer specific tips/suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat is female and vet estimated 8 years old. They were already spayed. I held them for 5 days before letting them go. A neighbor will feed them when I'm gone but obviously it won't be the same care I gave them. I was told by the vet that it was normal for them to stop eating and using the litter, but that they could also get sick if they went too far with this pattern.

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. This kitty is the reason I fell for cats. I didn't realize how challenging and emotional their relocation would turn out to be.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat is female and vet estimated 8 years old. They were already spayed. I held them for 5 days before letting them go. A neighbor will feed them when I'm gone but obviously it won't be the same care I gave them. I was told by the vet that it was normal for them to stop eating and using the litter, but that they could also get sick if they went too far with this pattern.
I do hope you'll reconsider,you'll never know the fate of this cat but certainly you can transition them to indoor life-Ive guided many a cat lover that was willing to open up their home to an unwanted feral and give them the chance for a nice long ,healthy happy life expectancy....

Yes,the Vet is right that a confined feral can become depressed,not eat or drink and become ill- not in 5 days and there are many ways to avoid depression..... transitioning an adult feral( true feral) ro tye indoors is not for the faint of heart but I will tell you this,in over 6 decades and working with countless ferals I've yet to see one thst could not be transitioned

Not quite 3 months ago I personally tool a feral into my own home for keeps,absolutely no one wanted this beautiful creature because he WAS a 7 yr old rogue F1----I have officially changed his title to housecat!!!,Timmy the housecat...... as AbbysMom AbbysMom has already mentioned ,Id be more than happy to help you and support you every step of the way- if you change your mind,let us know

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It takes a lot longer than 5 days for them to get used to new surroundings. Even tame, indoor only cats can take a while to adjust if you move house.

I moved a colony of 20+ cats with me when I moved house about 9 years ago. They were all kept indoors for the first 4 to 6 weeks, then allowed outside into an enclosure after that.

Some of them took as long as a month to stop hiding and crying. Every cat is different, there's no guaranteed time line for how long it will take for them to adjust to a new life. They will all get there eventually though. Even my completely untouchable feral tom cats learnt how to love life with heating and a sofa to sleep on.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others.

If you have the will to do it, you still have time to retrap. We’ve moved dozens of ferals indoors, they’re never happy about it. They need time to learn that indoors is a safe place. Cats rarely adjust to change quickly, let alone a big change like this.

But they become so happy once they’re indoors, some won’t even leave.

We’re doing DIY renovations right now and stupidly got our slip leash we use for dog rescues caught in the front door without noticing. The door ended up open for 20 whole minutes.

We checked our cameras, and six cats went outside - all stayed on the front porch. Most of the cats (yes, we have far more than 6 lol) just looked out the door and wouldn’t leave though. All ex-ferals. Half the cats that did leave had actually been friendly strays, not ferals.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a lot longer than 5 days for them to get used to new surroundings. Even tame, indoor only cats can take a while to adjust if you move house.

I moved a colony of 20+ cats with me when I moved house about 9 years ago. They were all kept indoors for the first 4 to 6 weeks, then allowed outside into an enclosure after that.

Some of them took as long as a month to stop hiding and crying. Every cat is different, there's no guaranteed time line for how long it will take for them to adjust to a new life. They will all get there eventually though. Even my completely untouchable feral tom cats learnt how to love life with heating and a sofa to sleep on.
Love it!!!!!!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
P PetuniaGatunia

As you can see every feral fanatic here agrees-we don't belive in "cant,won't or impossible" and we've disproved what so often is said " ferals do better outside ahd can't be domesticated" It's simply not so....

The only ones thst do better is the facilities full to capacity,the people that want to help but don't want to take them in or don't know how to help.... surely not the animal

I'm not trying to persuade you to do anything you don't want to do ,I only hope to encourage you to do what is in your heart in the event you want to but thought it's just impossible- it's not only possible,it's absolute🩷

Ages ago ,I once went to a friend's house and heard a ruckus in the alley-we were outside talking with his neighbors,suddenly they said" that's HIM-get the guns"....."HIM" was a rogue feral they stayed well hidden but at night would rummage through everyone's garbage,one guy once cornered him in the alley and was attacked by the terrified cat so they all thought he was this awful vicious intruder

I went beserk,chased everyone into their homes and incredibly the vicious monster came running out of the alley and into my car--- lol,Buddy-after a long process was one of my most beloved "lap cats" for many years..... no doubt you'd hear tons of true stories here from many others thst gave a misunderstood cat a chance

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I completely understand and would not disagree with most of the replies and advice. My only concern is the cat's health if they are not going to eat nor use the litter. I don't mind the crying and working with them but the Vet told me they can become sick if they don't eat or relieve themselves. Is it something I should risk?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely understand and would not disagree with most of the replies and advice. My only concern is the cat's health if they are not going to eat nor use the litter. I don't mind the crying and working with them but the Vet told me they can become sick if they don't eat or relieve themselves. Is it something I should risk?
I think it's worth it,worst case scenario is that he won't eat or drink,highly unlikely though because hunger drives -especially a feral & stray....in confinement you make sure they have food ,a water source and litter box and you prepare it to make it as "familiar " as possible

You have to prepare well- for example,ferals generally drink from puddles,stream or maybe a leaky spicket but not bowls- have you seen him drink from a bowl?Tye flatter& lower the better for starters,many won't drink if there whiskers touch sides..... these are sone things to consider and be prepared for- you say you've been taking care of him do I expect he eats out of a bowl and has food he likes,right? That will be familiar.... my Timmy was going on week 2 without eating when first captured but he was drinking-he was drinking because I brought in all the stones from around his outside water source and sunk the bowl in tye middle..... week two I got tye snelliest fresh fish I could buy and he ate....
Litter-difficult because ferals never go to the sane spot,they've got a million places to go outside..... they don't usually want to step into a box so you get a big pan or really low sides,bring in dirt,sand,a little Dr Elsys outdoor litter ,sprinkle some Ultra litter attractant and he'll go..... oh,it'll be a mess to clean but keep it meticulous and you gradually reduce the dirt,increase the litter and before you know it- he's litter trained

I'm not saying your Vet is wrong but I do wonder how many ferals he's taken care of that starved themselves?Probably not none because yes,theoretically this is true but you can do the best you can do to prevent this from happening

There's a particular way to set up a confinement space - food cannot & water must be furthest from litter- and not by sleeping area- There's diagrams to help you set up and be prepared.... a large dog crate is good to start .

So do I think it's worth taking a chance,absolutely ..... let me ask you,you obviously can touch and pet this guy,right?Your moving in a couple of days & where would you be keeping kitty at the new place- do you have a safe room for her,patio,what did you have in mind because she'd need to stay in a crate for a little while first before you move WITH her....

Let me add this too-IF you do take her with you -you cannot let her "free" to outside in the new location,thst would be awful..... so it's either leave her behind with your neighbor or take her with you and be prepared for the process but you must be committed to her

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, let me clarify that I fully understand pets are a commitment. I am not trapping them to not commit. The cat does not let me pet her. I have fed them for about 3 years routinely so they know they have a home. While I set them up outside my door, but they absolutely know they are taken care of. The feeding is a routine so they are always around as they know the timing already. I once put a litter outside and they used it, but I would imagine they will not do so consistently if brought in doors so your information is helpful. I have more than enough space for them in my new home (a room and a patio), thus another reason I would want to bring them, but I hope ya'll understand that this is not something I am experienced with. The original plan was to keep them in a room in doors until they eventually became familiar with the place and also away from my other kitty for the moment being.

I am trying to do best by the cat, but sounds like not having them eat nor go to the bathroom for days or maybe weeks is not a big deal. I truly just don't want them ill as a result of "forcing" them to be indoors.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
First, let me clarify that I fully understand pets are a commitment. I am not trapping them to not commit. The cat does not let me pet her. I have fed them for about 3 years routinely so they know they have a home. While I set them up outside my door, but they absolutely know they are taken care of. The feeding is a routine so they are always around as they know the timing already. I once put a litter outside and they used it, but I would imagine they will not do so consistently if brought in doors so your information is helpful. I have more than enough space for them in my new home (a room and a patio), thus another reason I would want to bring them, but I hope ya'll understand that this is not something I am experienced with. The original plan was to keep them in a room in doors until they eventually became familiar with the place and also away from my other kitty for the moment being.

I am trying to do best by the cat, but sounds like not having them eat nor go to the bathroom for days or maybe weeks is not a big deal. I truly just don't want them ill as a result of "forcing" them to be indoors.
Good,glad to hear you'll commit-I don't know you so all I can do is ask-the only info I have to go by is that after 5 days you felt horrible,was scared for the cats health because of something a Vet told you and you let her back out..... just want to make sure you won't do that again if you decide to bring her with you... so try to understand no one is judging you or alluding that you don't understand committment -until just now I was not even aware that you already have an indoor cat....so having said that you have at least some experience -more than many people we speak to that want to adopt a feral into their family and never even had a cat before- its true

If you feel in your heart it's too big a task we'll understand,don't feel because we have done this many times we don't remember our first time or the mere fact that it's not for everyone,it's a heck of alot of effort,time and energy..... not too mention the cost either,another mouth to feed,health care etc....So you'll have us here for you whatever you decide

But again,IF you choose to take this cat with you -you'll not be on your own and you'll have plenty of suggestions,support,tips n tricks to help you succeed with the transition.....I don't believe your experience is needed,love,determination and patience are--you do have our experience to rely on

I can only tell you " follow your heart" no matter what anyone tells you❤

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - thanks for your kind words and encouragement despite that in fact you do not know me. The outdoor kitty is the cat I am trying to take with me. I don't know if to consider them feral or a garden kitty. I do know they are super skittish and do not let anyone or anything get close. I've seen her crying when other cats she's afraid of come around. Part of the fact that I do feel a bit of a responsibility has been because this kitty made me fall in love with cats. I also do feel that it is a shame we don't have some incentives for folks to adopt more pets because it is costly. I happen to be in a better situation, but it's rough for most families managing. Yea, I have to decide and follow what the heart says and if I decide to trap them again before leaving, to not feel guilty if they are having a terrible time adjusting.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - thanks for your kind words and encouragement despite that in fact you do not know me. The outdoor kitty is the cat I am trying to take with me. I don't know if to consider them feral or a garden kitty. I do know they are super skittish and do not let anyone or anything get close. I've seen her crying when other cats she's afraid of come around. Part of the fact that I do feel a bit of a responsibility has been because this kitty made me fall in love with cats. I also do feel that it is a shame we don't have some incentives for folks to adopt more pets because it is costly. I happen to be in a better situation, but it's rough for most families managing. Yea, I have to decide and follow what the heart says and if I decide to trap them again before leaving, to not feel guilty if they are having a terrible time adjusting.
Anytime-thats what we are here for!

Make your decisions and keep us posted

One thing I want to ask- you keep referring to "them" -is it one outdoor cat or two you are deciding about?Just curious

PetuniaGatunia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I didn't realize I was using "them" so much. I think it is my subconscious using human pronouns. It is just one (1) outdoor cat, plus my current indoor cat.