Relocated Hissing And Growling At Nothing.

Medb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My parents are away for the week so I took the family cat up to my place in order to take care of him. I brought him home late last night and he hissed and growled at seemingly nothing. I figured I'd let him explore through the night and he'd settle down. It's now 10 in the morning where I am and he is still having episodes of hissing and growling from time to time. My parents did not leave me any contact info for a vet. He's a 17 y/o mix-breed (some Mainecoon heritage is obvious in his size and features) with arthritis, but other than that he's about as healthy as you would expect a five or six year-old to be. I'm worried.

What could this be?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Change is hard on an old cat. It's just his way of saying he is stressed and nervous. Just leave him be unless he accepts petting and cuddling and he will be fine.

Last edited:

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are territorial. That means, when they aren't in their own territory, they assume they are in someone else's.

Cats also have more sensitive hearing and smell than we do, and are very quick to notice small movements that we see, but don't register.

My guess is he is seeing/smelling/hearing potential "threats" everywhere, amplified by his old age (he probably is passed the "ooo new place to explore" excitement phase). He's just warning these "threats" that he will fight to defend himself.

Cats are not like dogs. To dogs, home is wherever the pack/family is. To cats, home is strictly defined and family is who they permit to live with them. All this cat knows is he is a stranger in a home that he believes belongs to something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Medb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:
He has stopped hissing and calmed down about a half hour ago and stayed calm. That put to rest any worry I had of health issues. Seems okay. Wants to be alone, but he's a solitary kitty who likes occasional attention, so not concerned. Thank you both for your responses. I had a feeling it was the hour car ride and relocating, but got concerned when it lasted as long as it did. Thanks again.
:lovecat: