Release cat back it the wild?

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are a foster home who currently have a feral cat that we took in about 6 months ago. She had a litter of kittens who we have already had adopted out, and actually kept one for ourselves. We've been working with her ever since and she hasn't come around much, but I have seen some very small improvements with her. I'm just not if she is meant to be an indoor, family cat.

In the beginning she didn't want to be anywhere near us, and was always in hiding. Little by little she has come out of hiding but still tries to keep her distance. She used to run when saw that I would be walking past her, but has warmed up enough to tolerate me and will walk past me or let me walk past her. She doesn't like to be picked up or even pet all that much, but will sometimes let me walk up to her and pet her, as long as Im the only one in the room.

I've been doing play session's with her and she used to only do it under a dresser and would stick her paws out to get it, but now will play out in the open and even jump on the bed with me to play, as long as I dont get too close. Sometimes I can inch over and pet her during that time. She's not mean at all, I've never seen her show aggression or even hiss at us, so she is a sweet cat. I just don't know if she likes and trusts people or ever will.

I really do not want to release her back outside. I want her to have a good life, but I just dont know if she is going to be happy being inside with people. Also since we've had her for 6 months, feeding her and all, will she even adjust back outside.

Getting her adopted is going to be very hard. I would keep her we didnt have 4 of our own already, and an 8 year old kid. Because she does not like kids, I think they are too much for her to handle because of the noise and energy level. Shes so scared of our 8 year old that when she opens her door, she runs into hiding and will stay there until shes gone. But like I said she doesnt show aggression or anything towards our kid, shes just scared of her.

What do you all think or suggest? Would she have a better quality of life outside, AND, would she adjust quickly back outside (i dont want her to starve). Or does she need more time and work to try and be a family cat? I just want to do the right thing and whats best for her.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Build her a little 16"x16"x16" box so she can have shelter and a place to hide/sleep. On a table against the side of the house gets it up off of the ground, and you what remains of the table for a food dish.
Rubbermaid tote turned upside down with a 5" x 5" hole in it would work also. (secure it somehow so storms won't blow it off of the table).

She's her own cat and will prefer to be outside. If she comes inside, she will more than likely keep to herself, and always be skittish. BUT, she already knows people=food. Therefore, if she's not your outdoor cat problem, she will be somebody else's. (just saying that she is not going to be "wild" and avoid people).

She's going to be the cat that you just leave alone, and don't mess with (inside or out). She may come up to you and maybe a few other people. But only when SHE feels like it, and will hide from everybody else.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Bless you for all the care you've given this girl and her babies. If only more people had the patience and compassion!

You've made some real progress already so I'd vote for continuing to work towards helping her become an indoor cat. She sounds like a real sweetheart, just very timid. The fact that she's never aggressive or hostile is such a point in her favor - it seems a shame to put her outside again, unless she has actively shown signs of wanting to be there. If she does always want to go out again, then it's a different story. However, now that she's learned what it's like to have regular meals and shelter, she may always seek out humans to supply those things.

I'm also a bit puzzled by what you mean when you say "release her into the wild." Do you mean to let her hang out in your yard or to take her someplace and just let her go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Build her a little 16"x16"x16" box so she can have shelter and a place to hide/sleep. On a table against the side of the house gets it up off of the ground, and you what remains of the table for a food dish.
Rubbermaid tote turned upside down with a 5" x 5" hole in it would work also. (secure it somehow so storms won't blow it off of the table).

She's her own cat and will prefer to be outside. If she comes inside, she will more than likely keep to herself, and always be skittish. BUT, she already knows people=food. Therefore, if she's not your outdoor cat problem, she will be somebody else's. (just saying that she is not going to be "wild" and avoid people).

She's going to be the cat that you just leave alone, and don't mess with (inside or out). She may come up to you and maybe a few other people. But only when SHE feels like it, and will hide from everybody else.
Yeah I think I know what you are talking about, I saw something like that on My Cat From Hell. Then adding some insulation inside for when it gets cold. We live in Dallas so it doesnt get cold all that often, but it will sometimes get in the 20s or snow.

I don't think we're ready to take that step yet, but we have been discussing if that would be a better fit for her. I've read it can take up to a year or more for a feral cat to adjust inside and she's only been indoors 6 months. So I do want to give her a chance and try and work on her for a few more months and use that as my last alternative. I just know how dangerous it is for them to be outside and how much shorter their lives are. Plus it would breaks our hearts if something happened to her like getting attacked or hit by a car.

I need to probably start letting my 8 year old in on the play sessions and see if that will help her get used to and maybe more comfortable in the house.

If we do have to end up letting her outside we have a second door on the side of our garage that leads to the outside. I was thinking if it came to that I could install a small kitty door and set her up in the garage instead

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless you for all the care you've given this girl and her babies. If only more people had the patience and compassion!

You've made some real progress already so I'd vote for continuing to work towards helping her become an indoor cat. She sounds like a real sweetheart, just very timid. The fact that she's never aggressive or hostile is such a point in her favor - it seems a shame to put her outside again, unless she has actively shown signs of wanting to be there. If she does always want to go out again, then it's a different story. However, now that she's learned what it's like to have regular meals and shelter, she may always seek out humans to supply those things.

I'm also a bit puzzled by what you mean when you say "release her into the wild." Do you mean to let her hang out in your yard or to take her someplace and just let her go?
We would most likely keep her outside of our house. But our issue is that we know how dangerous it is, and if something happened to her we would be heart broken and feel terrible for letting it happen. Heaven forbid if she got hit by a car and I found her, it would just ruin me.

So if it came to that I would prefer to find someone who wants an outdoor cat so I wouldnt have to see what happens. Then again I know how much more I could care for her.

Last edited:

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry accidentally hit submit.

But yeah she doesnt actually seem to want to go outside, I think she actually likes being inside. When I get up in the morning or in the night she will be sleeping on the couch or in a dining room chair. Sometimes be playing with the other cats. But like you said she is just super timid around us. Almost like "I'm happy here and love you, but leave me be" lol.

Another thing she will do about once every week or two, if shes really hungry when I'm preparing the wet food for all of them, she will jump on the counter to get into or start eating. But only if Im the only one in the kitchen.

Another good thing about her is we have had a few other foster kittens come in for us to care for, and she accepts and takes care of them as they were her own. We had one come in after we adopted out the rest of her litter, and he was able to nurse off whatever milk she had left until we got her fixed

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That garage will be HERS, and she'll love it.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Sorry accidentally hit submit.

But yeah she doesnt actually seem to want to go outside, I think she actually likes being inside. When I get up in the morning or in the night she will be sleeping on the couch or in a dining room chair. Sometimes be playing with the other cats. But like you said she is just super timid around us. Almost like "I'm happy here and love you, but leave me be" lol.

Another thing she will do about once every week or two, if shes really hungry when I'm preparing the wet food for all of them, she will jump on the counter to get into or start eating. But only if Im the only one in the kitchen.

Another good thing about her is we have had a few other foster kittens come in for us to care for, and she accepts and takes care of them as they were her own. We had one come in after we adopted out the rest of her litter, and he was able to nurse off whatever milk she had left until we got her fixed
Aw, she sounds like a total sweetie.  I can see why you're torn over this but if it were me, I would give her more time.  What you wrote about "I'm happy here and love you, but leave me be" makes me wonder if you  haven't answered your own question.  You were worried if she would ever be completely happy indoors but it sounds like she's already on her way.   It takes a long time for a feral cat to learn to trust but you're making great progress.  Obviously you're doing everything right.  I just think if she was really unhappy she'd be meowing at the door and trying to get out all the time.    

The garage idea might be a good compromise - safe inside but away from scary humans.   A cat door where she could go in and out and control how much "family time" she has sounds like a great idea.   

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, she sounds like a total sweetie.  I can see why you're torn over this but if it were me, I would give her more time.  What you wrote about "I'm happy here and love you, but leave me be" makes me wonder if you  haven't answered your own question.  You were worried if she would ever be completely happy indoors but it sounds like she's already on her way.   It takes a long time for a feral cat to learn to trust but you're making great progress.  Obviously you're doing everything right.  I just think if she was really unhappy she'd be meowing at the door and trying to get out all the time.    

The garage idea might be a good compromise - safe inside but away from scary humans.   A cat door where she could go in and out and control how much "family time" she has sounds like a great idea.   
Yeah I guess I kind of did lol. But I guess the big thing would be trying to find someone to except and want her :( If we didn't have our 8 year old I probably would just keep her.

She really is a sweet cat, especially when it comes to the other cats and kittens. She rubs on or licks our older cats, and will care for or protect the kittens if one is getting played with too ruff. The few times that I've had to pick her up shes very gentle and cooperates, and Ill pet her head and it almost feels likes a very faint purr. But once i put her down she runs lol.

I do wonder if she would do better in a foster home with no kids, because i notice she does better and takes those small steps when our kid is gone or Im the only one home. Because if youve had kids you know how they can be, loud at times and full of energy, and she does not like anything that makes noise. She still hasnt got used to the ice machine lol.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I guess I kind of did lol. But I guess the big thing would be trying to find someone to except and want her
If we didn't have our 8 year old I probably would just keep her.

She really is a sweet cat, especially when it comes to the other cats and kittens. She rubs on or licks our older cats, and will care for or protect the kittens if one is getting played with too ruff. The few times that I've had to pick her up shes very gentle and cooperates, and Ill pet her head and it almost feels likes a very faint purr. But once i put her down she runs lol.

I do wonder if she would do better in a foster home with no kids, because i notice she does better and takes those small steps when our kid is gone or Im the only one home. Because if youve had kids you know how they can be, loud at times and full of energy, and she does not like anything that makes noise. She still hasnt got used to the ice machine lol.
Oh, yes, I know well the chaos and noise that can accompany kids and can totally understand why she might find that unnerving, to say the least!  
   You might be right about finding a foster home without kids - someplace relatively calm and tranquil.  What would really be ideal would be a permanent home without kids where you could stay in touch.  Some of our members have managed to find that. In the meantime, do you have a potential foster home identified?  

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes, I know well the chaos and noise that can accompany kids and can totally understand why she might find that unnerving, to say the least!  :D    You might be right about finding a foster home without kids - someplace relatively calm and tranquil.  What would really be ideal would be a permanent home without kids where you could stay in touch.  Some of our members have managed to find that. In the meantime, do you have a potential foster home identified?  
Not yet, Im checking with one of the ladies in charge to see if she can find some place. I think her dream home would be with a retired couple who need another cat to keep their current one company, who would spoil her lol

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Awww.  She's a cutie.
   I can see why you are so attached to her.   
 What is her name?  

Those dream homes are hard to find, but they are out there.   While you're looking,  eight year olds are old enough to learn how to respect kitty.  Your earlier idea about including her in play time is a really good one, even if it's just waving a string in front of whatever place your kitty is hiding under.   You can also have her give your shy little girl treats - again, even if it's just tucking them under the bed or the couch.   

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww.  She's a cutie. :heart3:    I can see why you are so attached to her.   :catguy:  What is her name?  

Those dream homes are hard to find, but they are out there.   While you're looking,  eight year olds are old enough to learn how to respect kitty.  Your earlier idea about including her in play time is a really good one, even if it's just waving a string in front of whatever place your kitty is hiding under.   You can also have her give your shy little girl treats - again, even if it's just tucking them under the bed or the couch.   
Her name is Neve :) Shes going to be really happy this weekend, were getting 2 more very young kittens that were found. It so cute how her motherly instincts kick in when we get some. She seems more at ease when she has kittens with her.

I'll have to try that with the treats. I dont know why I didn't think of that. Our daughter actually doesn't really bother or do anything to her, shes just hyper. She sometimes tries to walk up to her to pet her, but she knows to leave her alone. But yeah Ill have her start having play session's with treats and see if that helps

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't put her outside - she will get herself killed. You've said yourself she doesn't try to get outside. I think you have to accept her as she is - I bet she is perfectly happy living with you. One of my cats is very frightened of my husband (for absolutely no reason). This does not affect her quality of life with me - she just avoids him. I do question you trying to find Neve another home. I just hate when pets are passed from one person to another. Any cat that will nurture stray kittens is a keeper IMO.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Oh, gosh, she's completely adorable.  Taking care of kittens?  My heart is melting!  I'm retired and if I were allowed to have more than two cats where I live, I would take this dear girl in a heartbeat!  

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can't put her outside - she will get herself killed. You've said yourself she doesn't try to get outside. I think you have to accept her as she is - I bet she is perfectly happy living with you. One of my cats is very frightened of my husband (for absolutely no reason). This does not affect her quality of life with me - she just avoids him. I do question you trying to find Neve another home. I just hate when pets are passed from one person to another. Any cat that will nurture stray kittens is a keeper IMO.
Shes actually a foster cat of ours, we do a lot fostering for a few different shelters :) She has just been with us the longest. We would keep if we didn't have 4 already...we were suppose to stop at 3 lol.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that. But you've had her for 6 months now, I think you said. You have to do what is best for your family, but 6 months is a long time in a cat's memory.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh, she's completely adorable.  Taking care of kittens?  My heart is melting!  I'm retired and if I were allowed to have more than two cats where I live, I would take this dear girl in a heartbeat!  

The smaller gray one on the left was one of her favorite kitten's that was not one of hers. This was awhile after she was fixed, but they still tried to nurse anyways. She absolutely fell in love with that one, I hardly saw them apart. I felt so bad adopting him out, I wanted to adopt them out together.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
The smaller gray one on the left was one of her favorite kitten's that was not one of hers. This was awhile after she was fixed, but they still tried to nurse anyways. She absolutely fell in love with that one, I hardly saw them apart. I felt so bad adopting him out, I wanted to adopt them out together.
What a sweet little Mama!  The bigger guy on the right is almost as big as she is but she is so patient.   She's really darling.  

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a sweet little Mama!  The bigger guy on the right is almost as big as she is but she is so patient.   She's really darling.  :heart3:  :catguy:
That was one of her kittens that we kept. We told ourselves before we started fostering that we are sticking with 3 and cant keep anymore as our own. But we almost lost him. He was one of the runts and stopped eating, so we had to syringe feed him and inject fluids in him. Now that makes number 4 lol