Relationship Mending?

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feels like forever that I last came to you all with a problem....

My oldest, Singa, is now coming to 12 years. I have had her since she was a kitten of approx 5-6 weeks. She was a street kitten, but she has never had any ferral traits. She is the sweetest and most patient cat I know.

When she was about 1.5 yrs old, we met my now husband. He kind of moved straight in with me so she has known and been around him for over 10 years. He lovers her, but its not really reciprocal. For most of the time she tolerates his presence and she also goes to him when I am not available, but she would normally choose to cuddle with me than with him.

She has started being nasty to him though, usually in situations when she gets stressed. It started when my husband accidentally stepped on our other cat's paw about 3 years ago. Soleil screeched in pain (of course) and my husband felt super sorry/guilty. Within a short moment Singa dashed in between my husband and Soleil (like as if she was protecting her) and started growling and swatting at my husband when he tried to check on Soleil's paw. This didn't last very long and he was finally able to check out the paw (all was ok).

A second time, Soleil was out behind our garden and attacked by a tom. You could hear the growling and screaming and she came darting in. Singa, was freaked out by this and when my husband went upstairs to get a better look out the back, Singa decided to hunt him down and attack his legs. He sought refuge on the bed and called me upstairs because he was scared of Singa. Of course when I was there Singa was no threat anymore.

This morning, Singa was eating and she was kind of moving her body around the bowl and bumped into a water bottle which fell over and caused a bit of a bang. She completely freaked and ran upstairs, but not without running over and injuring my husbands foot (she panicked, it was not out of spite). About 10 min later he tried to come upstairs and Singa was guarding the top of the stairs and started hissing and growling at him. Even I could not really calm her down, though she did not do anything to me when I tried to pick her up. Her grudge lasted until he left for his business trip.

He is away now for the rest of the week and Singa is her usual needy/cuddly self. I'm sure by the time he returns she will have gotten over it, but what can be done so this doesn't happen again?

Husband is of course unhappy that she still won't accept him as her cat-daddy and I don't know how I can get her to trust him.

She jumps up whenever he sneezes or makes any other louder noise, but when she sits on my lap and I sneeze (and my sneeze is not cute or quiet at all :D) she keeps calm.

How can I mend their relationship (well more her relationship issues)???

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just "one person" cats. My first cat was bonded to my mother. Our next cat was bonded to me and only tolerated my mother in my absence. She didn't like anyone else in the family.

It sounds like there has been some redirected aggression. Your husband can try things like treats or special play times with her. He can feed the cats so they associate him with good things. If you normally wear shoes in the house; try wearing something soft so your steps aren't loud and don't create as much vibration. He can speak to her in a calm voice when he interacts with her. Basically; try to create experiences between them that are calming and positive. She may never really bond to him; but hopefully you can lessen the times she goes after him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles

We take turns feeding them and she also goes up to him to ask for food when I ignore her begging :lol: She really is alright with him in the normal day routine. Just when she freaks she always portrays the evil with him. The last incident was really her own fault for bumping the bottles and yet she gets angry at him :dunno:

We are a very quiet household so any loud noise scares her and she is really skittish. She only seems to be alright when the noise comes from me...

I will ask him to schedule some play time with her to create a better bond but I hoped that having lived in the same household for over 10 years she should really be trusting him more :confused2:

Thanks for your advice!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try calming products like feliway, calming chews, Bachs flower essences or similar when she's overwhelmed. Some people even try medication for a short time but from what you are saying she's over it pretty quickly.