Reintroduction After Redirected Aggression

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two spayed females that have been together for 5 years. At the beginning of July, one started attacking (not play fighting) the other. They've been separated since then. The aggressor has been in one room and the other is loose in the house. I've gotten them to the point where we can have a pet gate up so they can see each other. At times we can get both cats close to the gate with no problem and other times there's hissing. In reality, this situation is way better than when this first started. My husband and I will sit on either side of the gate and play with the cats, pet them and give them treats so they start associating fun time with each other. It's slooooowly getting better, but any other hints you may have would be appreciated. We have Feliway diffusers going in the rooms where the cats hang out the most.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Starting to feed them on either side of the gate is a great thing to try. You need to find the challenge line for both where they can each feel comfortable. Gradually move the dishes closer and closer to the gate so that soon they will be eating on either side of the gate. Sometimes, the gate needs to be covered with a sheet or towel to block the sight.

Here is a great video on cat to cat introductions from the cat guru, Jackson Galaxy. These same principals apply for reintroducing kitties. The best advice I can give is to take things slowly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Starting to feed them on either side of the gate is a great thing to try. You need to find the challenge line for both where they can each feel comfortable. Gradually move the dishes closer and closer to the gate so that soon they will be eating on either side of the gate. Sometimes, the gate needs to be covered with a sheet or towel to block the sight.

Here is a great video on cat to cat introductions from the cat guru, Jackson Galaxy. These same principals apply for reintroducing kitties. The best advice I can give is to take things slowly.
Thanks ... we've been giving them treats on either side, but without the towel. I may start doing that along with the treats. They don't respond to meals at the same time in the same way. One is a chow hound and one doesn't really care when her dish is filled so we've been giving them treats instead.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try using something extra special for treats. I like to use plain cooked chicken or tiny bits of canned tuna. You really want the treat to be extra special so they get excited and want to see each other. I used to keep mine in a small sandwich baggie. Each time we went to work on introductions, I would shake the bags. The cats go so excited.

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try using something extra special for treats. I like to use plain cooked chicken or tiny bits of canned tuna. You really want the treat to be extra special so they get excited and want to see each other. I used to keep mine in a small sandwich baggie. Each time we went to work on introductions, I would shake the bags. The cats go so excited.
I'll try that. We're going shopping tomorrow so I can pick something up for them. Thanks!

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try that. We're going shopping tomorrow so I can pick something up for them. Thanks!
Well, i tried tuna and got indifferent reactions. Is canned salmon okay to feed cats? Also is it common for the cats to take a step back? We'd been progressing slowly but surely, but now the cats seem to have gotten a little unnerved.