Reintroduction after a fight.

Tuxedokittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted a longer post earlier but I thought I’d ask my main question in a short way. My 2 cats who are 5 years apart had a random fight which I think was just from them being spooked or redirected aggression. They’ve only ever fought one other time 5 months ago for the same reason and got back to normal fast and have been perfectly fine since. They’re currently separated and because the fight happened later in the day we felt it would be best to keep them apart over night after a semi failed attempt and reintroduction. They had positive interactions through the crack in the door already.
Now my question is has anyone had this happen (cats who get along fine and has a random fight) and when they reintroduced say the next morning or a day later the cats just kind of forgot about what happened or didn’t really care about the past fight. Or will it be remembered and the fear still be there needing us to be extra diligent and make it a super slow introduction?
Thank in advance for any opinions or personal stories of similar events, or even concerns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tuxedokittylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A side note, has anyone had this happen and the reintroduction was a super negative one? Like one cat resented the other for whatever reason or they forgot who eachother were or anything like that?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry no one with any experience has responded yet. I do know I have read numerous similar issues and the end result can be the cats get along within hours or days, but unfortunately for others it has taken months to get them 'back to normal'. In other words, each case is going to be a bit different. Take steps of the introduction process and see what happens, you will know soon enough if it is going to be a quick thing or drawn out. Identifying the incident that caused the aggression is helpful, because in many situations the cause can be avoided in the future, reducing the odds of another event.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – Cat Articles