Reintroducing Cats ...the Saga

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all...

it's been almost a month since the beef started. Tomorrow will make almost 2 weeks without a subsequent incident meaning, I've been successfully keeping them apart. I do 12 hour siteswaps, meal feedings as opposed to free feeding on either side of the door, and controlled sightings through a cracked door intermittently throughout the day. Since all of this went on without any static, I thought that I would step it up a bit. I place one in the carrier while the other explores the rest of the house and each other. I've done that at least twice a day since Saturday.

Today after putting the (girl) in the carrier for a few minutes, I played with the other one a few feet away for a while. Then I went and gave everyone treats. No hissing from the carrier and no reaction from the other cat. I put his harness and leash on and continued to play with him. While he was good and distracted, I opened the carrier slowly and let the girl walk out. She did slowly, didn't run, just smelled the air and stayed close. Once he saw her though, he naturally started to walk over to her. This is when she hissed. Then the growling. Then his tail puffed up. I called him away and put him back in the back room. Thank god he's not as crazy to get out of the room like she is in the evenings. It was because of that and her scratching up her nose (again to get out of the room) that I started using cbd oil. The first few doses (she's on her 4th) have helped in that she's shown improvement in her ability to relax sooner.

Being that they didn't get to fight, I'm calling this a win and will keep at it. He only goes after her because of her reaction to him. If I could get her to not be so fearful and even fight back, maybe he'd leave her alone? Just keep doing these type of introductions?

I also just went and ordered like 3 pet gates, maybe they need more visual access but from a safe distance where they can't get to each other. The girl has broken everything down but the bathroom door...

staying strong and staying the course!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This was how they used to be...Roo (m) on the left and Cassie (f) on the right

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Heartbreaking for you, I know, but you are making some slow progress. Just a thought...you might soak a cotton ball in REAL vanilla extract...yep, the pricey stuff...and rubbing both cats down with it. It seems to work in a good number of cases. Do this along WITH everything else, not INSTEAD OF!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heartbreaking for you, I know, but you are making some slow progress. Just a thought...you might soak a cotton ball in REAL vanilla extract...yep, the pricey stuff...and rubbing both cats down with it. It seems to work in a good number of cases. Do this along WITH everything else, not INSTEAD OF!
Hi, should I put it any where in particular?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I'd try between their ears and along their backs. It doesn't always work, but BOY have I seen some good results with it!